“Great little spot”

Restaurante El Federal
Ranked #90 of 5,236 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Retiro
Description: El Federal is the restaurant where locals and foreigners can enjoy the very best of Argentine Cuisine. With our Tasting Menu you can discover the range and depth of Argentina's fantastic food and drink. We offer the chance to try ingredients that are uniquely Argentine and very difficult to find elsewhere in the Capital, Buenos Aires. El Federal is the perfect place to really embrace the flavours of our rich country.
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This establishment was recommended by the concierge at our hotel. The menu is dedicated to dishes from the various areas of Argentina. Good service, reasonable prices, with OK decor. Be sure to try the lamb.

1  Thank AshInAction
Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We had lunch on a Saturday; and thought just maybe this was the place. I liked the ambiance; the proprietor was entertaining her family, and friends at a large table; and like all Argentinos' jovial and welcoming. My lunch companion and I shared the empanada assortment which was fairly good by comparison to other establishments,but is that good enough? My friends lamb dish was tough and boring; my roast pork was a better choice, it was succulent and tender with good flavor, although it was served with a very tiny cup of mashed potato, and a corn souffle muffin. Wine by the glass a pinot noir was a good choice and offering. So we decided to return with reservations for dinner on a Tuesday evening at 6:00 pm. No proprietor was present, and both waiters were eagerly running out the door by 6:15 after taking our order. The kitchen staff served us: we ordered an entree of nocchi to share as a starter which to our surprise was very generous, and tasty. When our main course arrived they had obviously taken one order of the roast pork which I had a few days earlier, and divided it into two portions. My friend and I might order starters or main courses to share as a first course, but never do we share only one main course: we are hearty eaters. I was so explicit, about the order. Was it a simple mistake,? or was it due to the fact that the waiters were in such a hurry to run out the door. The same pinot noir Malbec which I had on Saturday, was ordered again, and it seemed stale..was it the same bottle from three days earlier, I wondered. Deserts were ordered ; a chocolate mousse, which seemed so reminiscent of jello pudding, and the flan, which was dense, and not so delicate as I expected. I reminded the staff, when I asked for the check,of my initial order; and everything was in accordance.Why, should I, be concerned about the accounting of the check to begin with? On a scale from one to five. I give this establishment two and a half points, which is unfortunately better than most other establishments. I still refuse to go behind "Closed Door" eateries to find better dinning.

3  Thank Oysterbend
paulafederal, Propietario at Restaurante El Federal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

I´m terrible concern of what have happened in our table service at your second visit at El Federal. We identify the mistake and the waiter was removed of his new job about this. Between 6 and 7 pm I am always out of the restaurant. Our waiters are really professionals and well dispose to attend our visitors needs , unfortunately in this occasion we couldn´t received you both us we always do. I´m so sorry.
If you are in BA, as I have the pleasure to know you and your friend I invite you to taste our tasting menu, and have the opportunity to compensate our error
Best Regards,
Paula Comparatore
Chef Ejecutiva

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We really enjoyed this restaurant. Interesting and unusual menu choices, not just steak. I especially liked the lamb which was so tender it practically fell off the bone. Nice ambiance and friendly waiter. Good wine selection as well. Definitely worth a try.

2  Thank Pueblohouse
paulafederal, Propietario at Restaurante El Federal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for your input is really wonderful to know that was a wonderful experience to you, we work really hard to hear this kind of things. Thank`s again. Paula Comparatore and El Federal team.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

it is not a parrilla restaurante, so if you are expecting to see the grill thius is not the place. the food is veru argetine, meat, potates, the flavours wonderful. not expensive

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We liked the restaurant, friendly service and good food. price is ok. Good wines to.