We spent two nights at Ilum at the end of a trip to Patagonia. It's a very chic, comfortable small hotel with gorgeous interiors (with an Asian touch). The rooms are huge with comfortable beds, great showers with plenty of hot water, robes, etc. The breakfasts (included in the price) are impressive - pretty much anything you could want: cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, about 15 different kinds of croissants, breads, cookies and pastries; eggs made to order.
Ilum is located in Palermo Hollywood, the slightly less commercial part of Palmero. We personally preferred this to the louder and more crowded Palermo Soho (which is an easy ~5-10 min walk away). And there are plenty of great little cafes and restaurants in Palermo Hollywood - in fact, one of the best new restaurants in the city, Tegui, is located just a few blocks from llum (expensive but worth it).
Finally, the staff were absolutely fantastic and spoke terrific English. I would recommend Ilum and would stay here again.
A few minor downsides:
- We opted for garden rooms which were supposedly quieter but the ongoing construction (starting at 7am each weekday morning with jackhammers, power saws) was disturbing even with earplugs.
- The cute rooftop deck with the hot tubs is kept locked; you need to reserve it in advance with the front desk.
- They advertise a "wine bar" on their website but this doesn't exist. The "bar" is the breakfast area and it's not really open the rest of the day like Hotel Home's is. They are happy to make you a cocktail or serve you a beer but it's not really a lounge at all (and they don't have wine). That said, it's not a big deal since there are plenty of other great little cafes nearby (for wine, try the little French bistro on Nicaragua around the 5944 address - it used to be called Lobby Wine Bar and they have about 30 selections by the glass). We also really liked a bakery called Darma at Arevalo and Nicaragua for excellent empanadas, sweets and other lunch items to go.
- Another reviewer noted the high price of the taxi to the airport if arranged through Ilum. We had the same problem but weren't able to hail one on the street so we had to go with their service which was $258 ARS (including tolls; especially high b/c we had paid $220ARS (including tolls) from EZE to Ilum). The other reviewer paid $150 ARS by hailing one on the street. There are also other services with better rates (under $200) but you need to book a day in advance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The importance of a first step is that it would mark the way we are heading. That's why choosing Ilum is understanding that our reality doesn't nourish itself from our yesterday or our tomorrow, today is forever today, it is here and now where I choose to be. Ilum is a place with no pressures, a place where we found that the most important thing is to allow ourselves to enjoy of the best, what we receive in life is a consequence of what we give, that is why in Ilum experience home what we give is our priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ilum Experience Home reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.