“Best wine experience I had during a month in Argentina!”
Review of Casa Coupage Room

Casa Coupage Room
Ranked #341 of 5,332 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Price range: US$48 - US$100
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Palermo
Description: This is not a closed door restaurant anymore but far and away the best restaurant experience I have had in South America.
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Casa Coupage isn't cheap, but I would argue that you get great value for your money. My dinner at Casa Coupage was my favorite wine experience of my time in Argentina. We did four closed-door dinners during our time in Argentina. Casa Coupage was the most wine focused of all of the dinners. Santiago, owner and head sommelier at Casa Coupage, was our host for the evening. We was extremely welcoming, exceptionally knowledgable about wines, and extraordinarily humble at the same time. Casa Coupage is setup more like a normal restaurant than the closed-door dinners we did in people's actual apartments. You have a private table at Casa Coupage. They have an a la crate menu and a tasting menu. We did the tasting menu, which I would recommend because it was a lot of fun the way Santiago did the wine pairings for each course. You can choose between wine tastings of 3, 5, or 7 glasses. I'd recommend doing the 7-glasses with the tasting menu. You can decide between the 5 glass pairing and the 7 glass pairing after the 3rd course, which is nice because it allows you to feel things out before committing.

I wrote an article for my blog on our experiences at closed-door dinners in Argentina. You can check it out at:

2  Thank TheJoshManning

Reviewed 21 June 2012 via mobile

Amazing from start to finish. The duck filled ravioli was stellar! Santiago, the somelier was spot on.
My only complaint is that I stepped on dog crap as we walked to the restaurant.
Bravo! Keep it up.

2  Thank gniram
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The place is hidden (no signs on the facade, closed door) and you have to ring the bell to get in. Inside you'll find an old house renovated and absolutely lovely. The place only serves 9 tables per night, so you can only come if you made a reservation. My wife tried the tasting menu and said everything was wonderful. I had different options a la carte and they were perfect as well. The owners and the staff are very, very, very nice and the sommelier knew every single thing about every single wine they had. The bill was a bit pricy, but definitely worth it.

2  Thank ricardomello
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was the second closed-door restaurant we tried and it was completely different than our first. Much more like a typical restaurant in that we had our own table and there was staff serving. Incredible 7 course tasting menu paired with 5 wines. This was by far my favorite restaurant. Not cheap, but excellent! Splurge on this! You won't regret it!

2  Thank MemTrav
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Several years ago as we heard, coming from a trend out of Cuba, started the idea of "home dining" restaurants. These people jumped on the trend first in Nicaragua and then in BA. According to them when they started in BA there was only one or two others, but now it is the fashion.

They do it well, I booked online and the reservation was accepted and then they e-mailed me and asked for a confirmation the day of the reservation. Since our hotel was around the corner we scouted out where the place was before hand since there is NO sign!

The place is very nice, the food was excellent, the wine and the assistance with the wine was right on and the service was good. I probably would go again, the service was just too polished and too practiced for my taste, it had the feel of the big fancy restaurants in Vegas, where it seems all is an act not coming from the heart. I would prefer a little more down to earth "home" feel to it.

I want to be clear the place is really really good, just a little to polished for my taste.

2  Thank MichaelB88