“Liked it”

Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Philippine, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Palermo
Description: Welcome to Sunae Asian Cantina! Cocina Sunae is now called Sunae Asian Cantina. Starting Wednesday, Dec. 30th 2015 at our new place at Humboldt 1626, Palermo. Open Monday through Saturday evenings. We are no longer a closed door restaurant.
Argentina
“Liked it”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Nice! Il liked the food cause we are south asia food lovers. 4 steps meal, good taste just a lil bit expensive

• Visited November 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Food excellent”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Very small restaurant that looks like a warehouse in the front

Inside quite cozy

Things to improve

Server could spend a moment more with guests and make sure everyone's glass full
Food could have been a little hotter

All things considering excellent restaurant and good wine

• Visited May 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding in All Ways”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have eaten at Cocina Sunae each time in the last four years that I have visited Buenos Aires. In fact, I usually eat there at least two times during my visit. The food is outstanding and the price is reasonable. The Chef, Sunae ,took special care to prepared my meal to address my gluten sensitivity. In addition, she has published her own cookbook (in Spanish) and has started giving cooking classes which I hope to attend before I leave Buenos Aires. In summary, the Chef and her husband make you feel at home and it is a great experience outside the norm for Buenos Aires!

• Visited March 2014
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Wonderful and great surprise”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

First, my friend saw a little tip about these types of places in Lonely Planet's guide for Argentina. We looked up the restaurant and we come to find out her family comes from the same area as mine in the Philippines. We were so excited but thought we might not be able to get a reservation on such short notice (this was a Wednesday and we wanted to have dinner on Thursday or Friday). Luckily, I checked my email Thursday afternoon and they had a table available for us that evening.

The place - you don't get the address until the reservation is confirmed. From the moment we arrived, the atmosphere was appealing. They had a few tables outside but we sat inside. We started with the Thai fish cakes and Vietnamese spring rolls with homemade peanut sauce! I love a good peanut sauce! My girlfriends had the shrimp red curry and I had the Cerdo al adobo (pork) for our entrees. The pork was tender and flavorful. I also loved that she used mung beans to make a paste she served with the dish. It was definitely a nice twist on ingredients I accustomed to in other Filipino dishes. Another added bonus, she makes her own sriracha! For dessert, I had the sans rival cake (Filipino dessert) served with a side of Thai tea ice cream. I loved this cake! I loved that it wasn't too sweet and filled with nuts which I also love. My girlfriends also enjoyed their chocolate ganache infused with thai tea.

The staff - From the moment we got there, chef Sunae came over to our table to welcome us. She came by a few times to our table. We talked about Philippines and our families there. The waiters were so friendly, made great suggestions with the wine, and helpful with getting us a cab home.

Overall, it was one of the highlights of my trip. I was so glad I was able to make a reservation last minute. I would recommend anyone who goes to Buenos Aires to please try it.

• Visited March 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellente!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My friend found this place on Tripadvisor and suggested we go.
I was a bit hesitant as I am not a big fan of South East Asian food..
I was so wrong! It was a great evening, all four of the courses were delicious and thoughtfully prepared. The price was really good too!
The hosts were good and explained the meal to us as we ate.
We liked it so much we will re-visit at our next trip to Buenos Aires.

• Visited July 2013