“As good as you hope!”

Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Philippine, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Palermo
Description: Welcome to Sunae Asian Cantina! Cocina Sunae is now called Sunae Asian Cantina. Starting Wednesday, Dec. 30th 2015 at our new place at Humboldt 1626, Palermo. Open Monday through Saturday evenings. We are no longer a closed door restaurant.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was scared to eat here after so many bad Asian-food experiences in Buenos Aires (people, please stop making sushi like that), but Sunae is a brilliant chef and I love eating here. Compares with the authentic Southeast Asian food I've eaten in NYC. Bursts of interesting flavors, fresh ingredients, and genuine recipes. Also, the price is fair enough that you can eat there semi-regularly. A real gift to Buenos Aires.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My daughter had eaten here before and really wanted us to give this "closed door" restaurant a try. I am so glad that we did! The food was delicious and the service impeccable. And the chef's house was welcoming and lovely, with a nice patio that would be terrific in the summer months, although not an option on a cold day.

The menu this week started with prawns wrapped in corteo (fine noodles), moved to a hand spring roll, and then we had a choice of entrees--fish with baby bok choy, bbq pork with cold rice noodles, or a pumpkin chicken curry. There were three of us, so we got one of each entree and shared. They were all delicious. Dessert was a mixture of tropical fruit and ice cream, which you mixed together in a glass to make a refreshing "fruit shake." Or, as my daughter said, "happiness in a glass."

Plain water and hot tea are included with the meal price, but sodas, bubbly water and wine are not very expensive add-ons. The price for three of us was 750 pesos without a tip.

You make your reservation on-line, and when they confirm, they will give you the address for dinner. It was in a part of town that I hadn't been to before, but was only a 50 peso taxi ride from Palermo Soho. One more tip: although you select a seating time when you make your reservation, all the diners are eating on their own schedule, so if you a little early or a little late, it's not a big deal. I had envisioned a "banquet style" service, with everyone eating the same courses at the same time. Not so.

This is an experience that should not be missed!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We chose this restaurant for two reasons. 1) We wanted to try a "closed door" restaurant, basically a dinner club in a chefs home, and 2) after 5 days of steak we needed something different!

We made our booking by email. The chef previously lived in New York, so spoke perfect English. The first course a salad with shrimp, was fresh and light, and both of our main courses (you had a few choices) were nice. Wine was not included in the base price, but there was a selection of well priced local wines

1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This place really blew my mind! I have recently traveled to Southeast Asia and the food was really similar to what I have eaten over there. The food was outstanding! Besides, I asked for a vegetarian meal and they were able to prepare the same dishes with a vegetarian version. The shrimps, for instance, were replaced by tofu and it was the best tofu I ever had! Soft inside and crispy outside.
It is important to make a reservation in advance. The 4 course menu changes once a week and includes 2 entrances, one main meal, dessert, water and tea. I also ordered 2 cocktails with some Asian flavors and they were also great. The price is reasonable.
The restaraunt is small, pretty and cozy. A really nice place to eat in Buenos Aires.

1  Thank anamagbh
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Nice! Il liked the food cause we are south asia food lovers. 4 steps meal, good taste just a lil bit expensive