“Great location, fun design, a few small drawbacks”
Review of Mio Buenos Aires

Mio Buenos Aires
Ranked #17 of 446 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Moscow, Russia
“Great location, fun design, a few small drawbacks”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was looking for a hotel in the Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires and the amazing design of the rooms at Mio caught my eye. A large wooden bathtub in the middle of the room may not be to everybody's taste, but I prefer hotels with quirky rooms to boring business hotels type rooms. We didn't use the bathtub during our stay, but I still enjoyed the fact that it was there. Actually, the rooms are probably the second best thing about the hotel - the best is the location, but more on that later. As for the rooms, they are large and well-designed, however, I do think that they're only suitable for couples - if you're sharing the room with a friend, I don't think you'd be very comfortable with the glass doors to the toilet and the shower, and no door at all to seperate the sink and bathtub from the bed.
At first glance, the room seems to be clean, but it look's like the maids are cutting some corners in places that most guests aren't likely to notice. The room has a small balcony, and because both me and my husband smoke, we went out to the balcony quite a lot. In our three night stay the balcony floor wasn't sweeped or washed. When we arrived, there was a cigarette butt left over from a previous guest. It was stil there when we left. Also, the curtains were absilutely filfthy. It's hard to notice from the room, as the part of the curtains that faces the room is a dark colour. But the part that faces the balcony is white - or should I say was white, now it's a greyish colour with multiple stains. Not a big deal - and something you probably won't notice if you don't use the balcony, but it's the type of thing that stops this good hotel from being a really great hotel.
The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect. Recoleta is a great area of Buenos Aires, very clean and safe, with lots of restaurants and bars, beautiful parks and lovely buildings. It's not too far from most of the areas of interest in the city by taxi (taxis are cheap and easily available in Buenos Aires, and the traffic isn't too bad). The hotel is located very close to the Recoleta cemetery, which is, in my opinion, a Buenos Aires must-see. There are plenty of nice restaurants and cafes within walking distance, including a place that serves the best empanadas I had in Argentina, unfortunately I don't remember the name, but I'm sure the hotel staff will be able to tell you.
The staff at reception are friendly and helpful, if a bit forgetful. When we checked in, we asked them for an ashtray for our balcony, they said housekeeping would bring it to the room shortly, however they never did, even after we reminded the reception staff of our request on the next day.
I don't think I'd stay at this hotel again - there are many boutique hotels in Buenos Aires, and as much as I enjoyed staying in Recoleta, I preffer the Palermo area - however I don't regret staying there and would probably recomend it to friends if it suited their requirments.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MIOBUENOSAIRES465, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Mio Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
We very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay and that the balance for you was positive.
We´ll take into account all your comments in order to continue improving in our service.
We understand you may like Palermo better. Still, it would be a pleasure to receive you again and be able to surprise you by attending much better this flaws you mentioned.
Hope you had a safe return home.
Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

As the former opinion I agree that the staff is too young without experience but appart from that I want to say that the location is perfect! You are close to the touristic points around and very elegant area and safe. That is so important for Buenos Aires. I felt that there are some dangerous situations in other areas.
The desing of the hotel is wondeful. Seems to be like NYC style. Modern and elegant.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
We constantly train our staff and make it possible for them to provide our guests with excellent service. Young people are full of energy and welling to learn, that is something we value a lot in our staff. Sometimes it is not a matter of experience but of profesionalism and having pasion for the work you are doing.
We are very glad to hear you´ve enjoyed our desing and location!
Hope we can receive you again soon.
Kind Regards,
Klagenfurt, Austria
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel last month when I visited Argentina. The hotel is really beautiful. Everything is clean and excellent!! Especially the breakfast was delicious.
However, I was not satisfied with the staff at the hotel!! They are real snobs and not helpful!! As well as this, I spilled some juice over the pillow and I had to pay 500$ to the hotel. All in all I would not recommend this hotel, due to the staff!!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Urlauberin1105
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing to us.
We very happy to know you liked our hotel.
We would like to remark that the charges you mentioned in your review were made for other damages made in the room, not for spilling juice. However, we are very sorry to know our staff wasnt helpull enough. We´ll try our best to improve on this matter and hope we can receive you again and surprise you.
We hope you had a safe return home.
Kind regards,
Guest Relations Manager
Molde, Norway
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My first impression was the design. A quite narrow building over 12 floors. To me sometimes the design is not that practical as I perhaps would have wished. But overall, a kind of different hotel with its own design.
The location is great. It is quiet, safe and a short distance to must see and must do.
If it was up to me I would not have had the breakfast and the restaurant in the basement. Also the bar in the back on the reception level closes early in the evening and moves down in the basement.
That leaves the hotel in to many hours a state of impersonality and emptiness. But I guess the focus businesswise is in the renting of the rooms. No worries, nice restaurants and breakfast places just around the corner.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MIOBUENOSAIRES465, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Mio Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
We happy to hear you loved our staff and design.
As far as our breakfast and restaurant location goes, we believe that the private enviorment of the -1 floor, added to the possibility to watch our cooks at work and having another bar downstairs, completes a very nice experience for our clients. We appreciate your opinion and will consider it when taking into account possible modifications on this matter.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at MIO and would love to have you back soon.
We hope you had a safe return home.
Perris, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We travel a lot, and we like to stay on small boutique Hotels because is more personal, and they put more attention to make your vacation pleasant; and we choose perfect with MIO, from the moment that I contact Hernan in the front office by phone to ask about everything to the last minute reservations for everything and anything every body in the Hotel was great, Diego, Agustina, Egor, Franco, Pablo, Noelia, Hernan, and more, they always happy to assist whit anything and they really do their best. Muchas Gracias

• Stayed January 2014
MIOBUENOSAIRES465, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Mio Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Tahnk you so much for taking the time to write to us!
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at MIO so much, that you even remember all our staff´s names!!
We hope you had a wonderful time in Buenos Aires and that me can receive you again very soon.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 8 January 2014

It is a beautiful modern boutique hotel in a quiet sector of Buenos Aires, quite easy to move around. Love the decoration of the rooms and public areas. Breakfast is very good and personnel very helpful. A perfect choice if you like to stay on a "less active and more residential" area of this city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
We are very glad to hear you´ve enjoyed your stay at MIO.
We are happy our reakfast and style were suitable to your taste.
Hope we can receive you again very soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We asked the front desk staff to book us a taxi to take us to the airport the following day and we were quoted a price and agreed a time. The next day however, no taxi arrived. Ten minutes after the booking time, we checked with the front desk and they said they had no record of our request and no booking had been made. We explained that we needed a taxi to the airport and we were told one would be with us in 10 minutes. Nothing arrived and after a further half an hour we had to try and flag one down in the street. In Friday afternoon traffic this proved difficult and took quite some time. It was not a pleasant end to our stay and the error and subsequent difficulty tracking down a taxi meant we only got to the airport seconds before the check in desk closed. We would not recommend this place if you need assistance with any arrangements as they are clearly unreliable. This was a horrible and stressful end to our travels which could easily have been avoided with a professional team in place.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheGourmetVeggie
MIOBUENOSAIRES465, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Mio Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing to us.
Our General Manager is aware of this inconvenience and we extend our most deply apologies.
This was clearly a misunderstanding since we book transfer services for our guest all the time without any trouble.
Our reception staff gave you the information of timing and price but did not comprehend you were confirming the reservation for the car.
Again we truly apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can receive you some other time with all our attention and warmth.
Hope you had a safe flight home.
Kind regards,