“Good business class Hotel in great location”

Scala Hotel Buenos Aires
Ranked #53 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 12 February 2014

On the main grand avenue through Buenos Aries and on the edge of the San Telmo is this good value business class motel.

Staff are business like but not especially friendly nor helpful and gave me a slightly jaundiced first opinion of this Hotel - maybe it was the 16 hour flight kicking in. The room impressed. 2 queen bed - small table and chairs. Stocked bar fridge and extensive room service menu looked good. Frigid thermostat controlled cooling was welcome. I did like the opening windows and the chance of fresh air. The bathroom had a combined shower/bath, toilet and bidet. Rooms were nicely clean and furnishings of reasonably good quality. The 3 lifts service the floors well even during peak times. Good eating choices are within walking distance along with small supermarkets. Florida Mall is about a 15 minute walk away. The front desk organized a good and reasonably priced and professional transfer to the airport.

I especially liked the buffet breakfast. Its been a long time since I saw such a good quality range of foods. We had this as part of our tariff and if its an option for you I would take it.

Other than standoffish front desk staff their is also no tea or coffee facilities in the room nor an alarm clock. Also the scheduled wakeup call for our flight didn't happen - luckily we awoke in time for our flight.

All in all, a good option that deserves its good Trip Advisor score.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AussieHolidays
Diego S, Director Comercial at Scala Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving us a review and providing us with valuable feedback. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your overall stay, especially our buffet breakfast. We note, however, your observation regarding our staff assistance. I do hope you'll accept our apologies for any negative impression we may have created during your stay. I have shared your comments with our Staff to make immediate improvements. We truly hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Sincerely,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I found this reasonable hotel on my iPad when I was left behind by my tour group in El Calafate because I got sick. Once we arrived in Buenos Aires and checked into the hotel I immediately knew that I'd chosen well. We spent eight days at the Scala until I was ready to fly back home to the USA. The room was spacious and equipped with balcony doors. I enjoyed being able to leave the doors open all day for fresh air. We ordered room service every night and the food was very good.The breakfast buffet was very varied and looked beautiful. The hotel's location on the big avenue was great too with public transportation and taxis galore.

1  Thank Icheckeditout

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Scala Hotel Buenos Aires. We do appreciate your comments regarding the facilities as well as our service, as we are always looking for ways to improve. We truly hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future! Sincerely,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel on our way down to Patagonia. It was a great place for the price. Very clean and friendly and in a relatively good location. Right on the edge of San Telmo with some great restaurants near by. Very pleased.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Scala Hotel Buenos Aires and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad to know you found comfort in your room and our location convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit! Regards,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Good location closed to the Independencia metro station. There is a small store around the corner. The Basca restarurant around the other corner was very bad. Oviedos in Recoleta was very good. Café Tortoni was not what it used to be. Now is too touristic, dirty, noisy and the service is even worse. It is still a charming building worth a look.

On our last hotel in Argentina, I finally came to the conclusion that reception staff must be trained to be rude and unhelpful in good hotels. The more we paid the worse the hotel front staff. We try to be very nice, friendly and respectful with hotel staff as we know we depend on them for a good informed stay, but in Argentina it didn’t matter. They go from downright incompetent to just plain rude and unhelpful or overly familiar in a bad way. We had no problems with maids, bag handlers, waiters, and other service personnel, only the front desk staff.

The room was very nice with 2 queen size beds, laminate floors and no bedspreads with clean white linens. Good light for reading, nice comfortable beds with good pillows. Dark drapes and double pane windows.
Air Conditioning was a little noisy but it worked well.
The other problem besides the reception staff was the Wi-Fi, it didn’t work well in the bedroom. I read this complaint before and management still has done nothing to fix the problem.
Modern TV with English channels.
Refrigerator small but well stocked
Room for bags was very good for our 2 large bags.
Tea Kettle, we got one from reception. It was broken, we took it back and they guy said, thanks, and did not offer to give us another one, we had to ask him for another one, and he very reluctantly called the door guy to go get us one.
The bathroom is large, modern with good shower pressure.
No clothes line
Safety bar in bathroom
Towels were clean, thick and pretty new.
Good normal amenities–
Hair dryer low quality a bit difficult to use (you have to constantly press the button) and a bit far from the mirror
No full length mirror or makeup mirror
Laundry normal expensive
No iron and ironing board
No complimentary bottle water.
Would stay here again and found it much better than the Fierro.

Warning: We got the "mustard trick" walking in San Telmo. One person stains your clothes from the back and then another comes over and tries to help you clean it while the pick pocket you or steal your purse. I had just read about it so we just ran to the main street and took a taxi. The stains did not come out of all the clothing.

Room Tip: At first we did not get the room we booked, but we had no problem getting it straight. Two double q...
1  Thank Starviagera

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Scala Hotel Buenos Aires! We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, Our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are glad to know you had a pleasant stay with us. Please accept our apologies for any shortfalls encountered during your stay, especially regarding the internet access. In this respect, I would like to inform you that we have solved our internet issues. We truly hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future! Best regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Scala Hotel is on the edge of San Telmo. The room and bathroom were both large. The room had french doors opening to a view over the city and the Scala outdoor patio below. The room had a table and two chairs. There are many restaurants very close to the hotel so you don't have to travel far (especially when dinner isn't until 9 PM or later). The subway is only a block away. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back and very quite. I am not sure if rooms in the front would be as quiet sinc...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Diego S, Director Comercial at Scala Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Scala Hotel Buenos Aires, and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad to know you found comfort in your room and our location convenient. It is good to know that you found our staff friendly and helpful as well. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Buenos Aires! Best regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

5 star luxury, friendly, helpful staff, large quiet room facing the courtyard. The pictures don't do it justice! A few steps from the subway, bus, and taxi stands. Beautiful breakfast buffet. I chose Scala Hotel based on reviews and the hotel's own website, and my expectations were exceeded!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the courtyard, mine was so quiet I overslept! Excellent AC and water pressure...

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us such wonderful feedback! We are pleased to read our Hotel exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit! Sincerely,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed here twice on a recent trip to Buenos Aires and my overall impression is a good one. However, I am not quite sure why they gave me a room with disabled facilities on the first occasion. Given that I'm not disabled and never instructed staff that I was, I can only assume that the seat in the shower was there so that one can sit, head in hands, pondering the previous night's booze-fuelled behaviour and hoping that the water will wash away one's embarrassment. Indeed, this was a minor inconvenience but it did mean the room was smaller (due to the bathroom being understandably enlarged) than I was expecting.

During my second stay, which unfortunately, was only for one night, the room was much bigger. That said, the key card controlling the electricity decided to stop working at about 1am and at this hour, I decided against calling reception for an electrician to come and fix things. This did mean that I showered in near darkness the next morning though.

All in all, I thought the location was great. It's a relatively short walk to most of the major surrounding attractions such as the Obelisk, San Telmo markets, Plaza Dorrego and Puerto Madero. Casa Rosada and Congress are a little further but still within walking distance. Even if you don't like walking that much, taxis hardly cost the earth in Buenos Aires and I presume (didn't use it) the underground is pretty easy to use. Stations are very near to the hotel anyway. Staff were friendly and all spoke great English so no problems there but the internet, as some have already pointed out, is a little unreliable in rooms.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel - it's clean, modern and not overly large. The breakfast is pretty impressive and when improvements like the swimming pool are complete, it'll be an even better choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foggyhorse

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us the details and feedback from your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you found the hotel to be enjoyable and our staff to be friendly! Many of our guests find the location of the hotel convenient and we are glad that you could agree. On the other hand, we apologize that some areas of your stay fell short of your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve and provide the best possible experience to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit!
Regards,