“The tastiest meat, lovely wines, quiet atmosphere.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Recoleta
Rome, Italy
“The tastiest meat, lovely wines, quiet atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Went there in May 2012 during my last visit to Buenos Aires, since my friend I was going to dinner with recommended it.

Barbacoa is located on Pasaje Bollini ('Bollini Mews'), in the picturesque quarter of Recoleta, that happens to be the place where I was born. Pasaje Bollini is a colonial street, a trip back to the 1800s Buenos Aires. The waitress received me and gave me a nice table in the middle of the salon.

While waiting for my friend I had the Provoleta with dry tomatoes and opened a bottle of Trumpeter Cabernet Sauvignon. They serve a lovely home-made bread with the starters.
While deciding for the main course, we were recommended to go for one steak to share. I have to say that I eat quite well and I wasn't sure if just one steak with a portion of salad and chips would have been enough for me and my friend. So we went for the Bife Ancho (Rib-eye), that came already cut in two (you wouldn't have told that it was one steak, but two). We eat really well and ordered a bottle of the Rutini Malbec Cabernet, which is the greatest wine I had in Argentina.
With our coffees we were offered two glasses of champagne on them.
The service is casual but effective, it's true that I didn't go on the busiest days but the staff was always kind, I haven't waited an age for my food and I left the place rolling down the street.
For our two courses meal (provoleta + steak for two + salad + chips) plus two bottles of expensive wines (a bottle of Trumpeter + a bottle of Rutini) we paid AR$ 300.

I had a lovely experience by having dinner at this place that I knew just from outside. I went back a few weeks later, and I'm definitely visiting it again when I'm in Buenos Aires.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Nicolás F

Callaway, Minnesota
“My favorite Argentine Restaurant in BA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have to admit the only other review of this restaurant threw me for a loop. True it has been a couple of years since I ate there, but I have eaten there many times and my food was always top of the line with the value second to none. Out of the tourist loop, but in the heart of Recoleta and off on a quaint side street and really pretty easy to find. When I went always pretty much of a full house and very much a locals spot. I was pointed to this place by local people who said it was their favorite and it quickly became mine.

Waitstaff always friendly and helpful, and it was all female for the most part, a little different than the norm. It was just a warm and comfortable place, very clean and it seemed like a big gathering spot for families.

Always in the same ordering pattern as sweetbreads for starters and then a steak of some type, maybe a salad, Malbec and that's it.

So again the only reviewer might have been there on a bad night or whatever, but in my experience, this was just a wonderful place to eat and hangout and what BA is all about.

I would hope for some others to try it as to vary from a 1 star to 5 stars on just two reviews might indicate something is amiss.

I would go back again in a hearbeat.

Jim from Minnesota

• Visited October 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Maplelagjames
San Francisco, California
“Major disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

Located on a quiet, cobblestoned street in Palermo, the outside of this parilla looked too cute to not be good. Unfortunately, that was the only redeeming quality. This first clue should have been all the empty tables. The second should have been the waitress telling us that the Bife de Lomo did not look good tonight and that we should order something else. This is a steakhouse!
The wine we initially ordered was out of stock.
The grilled cheese entree was the size of an tiny appetizer - it was so small, we thought it was an amuse bouche.
The cover charge was the highest around and it included only stale bread.
All and all, the worst restaurant experience I have ever had in BsAs. (And this is my fifth visit here).

Visited April 2011