It's with a heavy heart that I write this review. I was very much looking forward to a fabulous 6 night stay and ended up feeling a permanent state of regret. There were some positive aspects to our stay, but unfortunately they did not outweigh all the negative ones-too many to list.
First, the good:
1. Location/Neighborhood - Hands down, this part of Palermo is where you want to stay. Very cool retail stores, art galleries, design shops and hip restaurants to boot. The neighborhood attracts an interesting mix of creative locals and tourists from all over.
2. Friendly staff
3. Comfortable interiors in the common areas.
Areas for improvement:
1. Room interiors - At $330 USD (includes tax), I expected a clean room. Instead, we found mold on the ceiling, stains on the walls/drapes, faucet and bathroom fixtures that were coming undone, holes in the lampshades, and a cheap mattress - pictures attached. When we expressed our displeasure with the state of the room, the following day we were offered the room next door with twin beds with the shallow promise of a "we'll see what we can do later in the week" - needless to say, nothing changed.
2. Service - A friendly staff does not make for a service oriented one. Without trying to disparage the good nature of the people working at this establishment, there is a serious lack of training on proactive hospitality. For example, on the second day of our stay, there was an issue with the spare key to our room and the cleaning staff was unable to clean the room. I understand, these things happen. What I found unacceptable was that the "24 hour" concierge(s) never left a note on our door explaining why we were coming back to an untidy room nor gave any indication that clean towels would be left for us. Instead, it was up to the guests to inquire what happened and where said towels could be found. Full disclosure, they sent someone to clean the room later that night and we left our room key with the front desk every day thereafter. Although, we came home to an unlocked room on a few occasions. Another example of poor training was evident on our last day. At no point during the check-in experience (or 6 nights prior) were we informed of a complimentary continental breakfast. This discovery came when settling the bill for the "extra" charges we incurred, which brings me to my next point.
3. Price gauging/costs "escondido" - See attached photo of item prices at the Jardin Escondido. $10 USD for an espresso, $25 USD for continental breakfast (which is apparently complimentary?), etc etc etc. I travel quite a bit both for work and pleasure and know one pays a premium when ordering at a hotel. What I don't agree with is not informing guests that the 2 water bottles, can of pringles and granola bars on the desk is in fact a mini bar. This may seem trivial, but I really resent it when they charge you $$ for a bottle of water beside your bed.
Overall, our stay here left much to be desired. I highly doubt we will be back to stay at this property or other coppola resorts. If you're looking for a hip, well designed, boutique property in Palermo I highly recommend checking out the Ultra Boutique Hotel instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Francis Ford Coppola came to Buenos Aires for the making of his film “Tetro” and he fell in love with the city. Now his home in Buenos Aires is open to guests, offering bed & breakfast services.Located in Palermo Soho, one of the most vibrant neighbourhoods, is the lush, green oasis of Jardin Escondido. Boasting three levels of gardens, a pool, an outdoor kitchen and parrilla, and a beautiful terrace surrounded by plants of all kinds, Jardin Escondido is its own hidden paradise.If you've dreamed of a South American destination where a vibrant cultural scene is balanced with a peaceful escape, the excellent staff at Jardin Escondido awaits to make your dream a reality. Jardin Escondido is walking distance to hip fashion and design boutiques, restaurants, bars, craft fairs, and abundant street culture. There is a fresh, artistic atmosphere in the neighborhood, which makes it especially popular with young, sophisticated Argentines and foreign visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, MrandMrsSmith, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Be Jardin Escondido by Coppola reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.