“Better the Last Time”

La Olla de Felix
Ranked #908 of 4,725 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Recoleta
Buenos Aires
“Better the Last Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Our first visit a year ago left us so impressed we returned with excitement and high expectations only to be slightly disappointed. The small dining room is charming country French with the limited menu (five choices, no appetizers nor salads) posted in cursive writing on an antique like mirror. The cliental is all local neighborhood Porteno which we appreciated. On our second visit a tubby young man with a couple of days growth on his sweaty face unlocked the door to let us in. His black t shirt was a size too small, treating us to an unappetizing view of his hairy belly peaking between the bottom of his shirt and the top of his jeans. He was nice enough despite the slobbish appearance. Our food was brought within minutes of ordering indicating to us that there was a lot of pre-prepared items in the fridge. My Risotto with Salmon was swimming in butter, but, at least, the fish was fresh. My wife's eggplant souffle was piping hot (good) and heavy on the cheese and cream. Tasty, but rich. Warm bread, two full glasses of o.k. wine, two entrees only $49. Hard to beat the price, but not the "inspired" cooking we experienced during our last visit. All the while, Felix sat at a table in his pink velcro sneakers, replete with grey stubble on his face, chit chatting with his friends, not getting up a single moment to supervise his kitchen. I think he mails it in........If I lived in the Recoleta I would probably go there now and again for a decent meal at a reasonable price. As a person who visits BA regularly, I have learned there are some really superb options. We probably will not go back to Felix's.

• Visited December 2012

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“I love it there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Cosy, very small, home made food, always meet a firend, good price, perfect location. I cannot dislike it. whenever i am close to it and have the chance to have a quick dinner, I choose La Olla de Felix.

Visited February 2012
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Resting on its laurels”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

This is a cozy restaurant in upmarket Recoleta, the decor is very good and there aren't many tables so you would expect good quality.
I was celebrating my birthday with friends and I was disappointed at the quality of the food on offer. My friends' kidneys and rice were chopped up to thinly that the flavour was lost, my ravioli and estofado was barely warm, the bread was as hard as a rock. To top it all they don't accept credit or debit cards. We left before deserts and told the owner the bread was stale: his reply was that you should have asked to have it changed. Surely you don't expect this from a restaurant that was obviously good but has now become too complacent.
I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. .

Northland
“Perfect lunch after touring french inspired BA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We had just finished a guided walking tour of Retiro, Recoleta and the cemetery given by Buenos Tours and decided to try La Olla de Felix for lunch because it was french, near the end of our tour and our hotel, Miravida Soho had recommended it. It was the perfect experience. Even though we were tourists happening into a very local cafe, we felt welcomed by Felix and his staff. Yes it is true the door is locked and you have to wait to be let in, but we felt welcomed all the same. I had the best cous cous tangine I had had in years and the ensaladilla ave was terrific as well. For a country with quite a wine history, the offerings are a bit weak, but this did not detract. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and in keeping with the southern french food on offer. The menu is written on a mirror in silver pen and also explained at the table. Very good value for money.

• Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,409 helpful votes
“Consistently great food and friendly service...great atmosphere...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I've only been here a few times. I last came here about 1.5 years ago. I had a friend in town and I wanted to bring him here as I love the quaint and private atmosphere.

He really loved it. The few times I've come here it's always just been locals. No tourists.

It's funny how every time they let a customer in or out they lock the doors. I'm not sure if this is for safety. The area is VERY safe but it almost has an exclusive or very private feel to it.

They have some daily specials on a board outside and on the wall. No menus.

My friend and I weren't too hungry as we've been eating big meals at night. I got the risotto with wild mushrooms and it was really great. My friend got a beef dish but it was a big portion. I didn't know they have half portions so keep that in mind.

The owners actually looked offended that my friend didn't finish his meal. She commented that they have half portions but I never knew this. He didn't finish for a lack of it being good...he just wasn't too hungry.

It's a must visit place if you're in Recoleta. Highly recommended for the food and atmosphere and great staff.

• Visited October 2012