“Great Fun!”

Foto Ruta Buenos Aires
Ranked #34 of 306 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Foto Ruta is a fun and creative way to see the city of Buenos Aires. Foto Ruta offers a selection of tours, experiences and excursions that are designed to show participants the 'real and genuine side of Argentina's capital. Foto Ruta weekly brings the city and its streets to life through a series of clues and tips that participants capture on camera. You don't need to be good at photography to enjoy Foto Ruta photo tours, they are about unlocking your creativity, meeting people and getting a different perspective of Buenos Aires
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I took a half-day photo tour in the San Telmo neighborhood. Emma was our instructor, and I really enjoyed the afternoon with her. She gave good advice about lighting and composition, but then let us find what was of interest to us to photograph. The critique at the end was helpful...not only to hear what we could have done better, but also to hear how we captured something better than how we may have thought we did.

I highly recommend Foto Ruta. We explored a neighborhood with someone who knew it thoroughly who encouraged us to see things with a fresh perspective... Isn't that the reason to travel in the first place?!

All reviews
"fantastic tour"
"street art"
"walking tour"

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had been in Buenos Aires for a couple of weeks before I went on my Foto Ruta tour. Staying in Palermo was (and is!) great, but everything is so convenient you sometimes don't get around to exploring as much as the city as you'd like. So I was excited that the tour that Saturday was being held in Montserrat. I had been through the neighborhood in a taxi, but this gave me the chance to walk around and truly observe all the elements.

The tour met at Chez Niní which was really charming and reserved for the tour which made it feel very exclusive. Emma and Hannah were in charge of the tour and they were incredibly welcoming and informative. They gave us a presentation that introduced us to the neighborhood and the basic elements of design that create great photographs. While everything was thorough and professional, the girls made sure everything was also accessible and their confidence in us was contagious. They also emphasized that great photos were 1% equipment and 99% practice... good news for someone like me who only had their shoddy phone camera. Afterwards, everyone split up and went out with 10 clues to inspire photographs. The girls offered to watch anything you didn't want to lug around with you so there was complete freedom while walking around. Out and about, I got a bit distracted by taking pictures of architecture and I didn't get to fill all the clues, but I was so grateful that I finally got to see a bunch of buildings and sculptures I had wanted to see and when I returned Emma and Hannah assured me that not everyone captures all 10 photos. So... laid back and fun!

When everyone returned after about an hour and a half, the girls had wine waiting for us and everyone chatted as they quickly set up a slideshow where everyone's work was presented. It was so great seeing other peoples' visions of the neighborhood and there was a definite feeling of artistic community as everyone discussed what they liked and what elements could have been addressed better in the photos. So, for me, it was the perfect meeting of a tour and an artistic endeavor; the tour was fun but the way it was organized and structured kept me from feeling overwhelmed or lost. It helped that it was a beautiful day in a beautiful city as well.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I contacted Foto Ruta for private photography lessons. Becky was very helpful and developed an itinerary for our class schedule. The lessons included an introduction into basic camera theory, and specific sessions focusing on aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Each session was two hours, the first hour was a discussion at coffee shop (different shop each time), while the second hour was in the field practicing what we had talked about.

The lessons were reasonably priced, and I would definitely recommend Becky and Joss to anybody!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

On my first day in Buenos Aires I joined the Foto Ruta Iphotography tour of Joss and Becky. For me it was a great way to see the city and focus on all the amazing things there are to see if you look closer. Also it gave me the opportunity to walk around with a small group, and experience the vibe. Which is nice when you are 'new'.

I thought Joss was really well prepared and explained a lot about taking- and editing pictures with your mobile phone, which made everyone enthusiastic to start the tour. We walked around a very nice area, and went to the antique market. The group was small and very nice. After the tour we went to a cafe to have some wine and edit our photos with a special app. It was really nice to see how creative everyone had become and to compare photos.

I would recommend the tour to everyone. It will cost you a bit of money, but then you can profit from it your whole stay!