“Nothing as listed”

Ideal Social Hostel
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Air conditioning-Fan
No one under the age of 16 allowed-8 year old gymnastics team running around screaming at all hours
En suite-shower is on top of toilet, basically have to pick if you're gonna use it as a shower or toilet
Breakfast-consists of medias lunas (good), toast, manjar, butter and freshly squeezed orange juice (but you have to squeeze it yourself and the squeezer sucks so it's all pulp)
Staff-completely rude, tried to charge us more than my confirmation, hardly at the desk, acted like I asked the world of them when I wanted a blanket
Bar-since they have a crappy bar inside, you aren't allowed to bring in any alcoholic beverages or drink/eat in your room.
Room-stayed in 4 bed mixed dorm and 2 bed mixed ensuite, both feel like you're in a closet. we're only 2 but I can't figure out how 4 people's stuff could have fit in that room.
Sleep-some random guy knocking on our door at 4 AM to be funny, people screaming (not socializing, SCREAMING) all night and morning
Cleanliness-bathrooms get cleaned multiple times daily, but some kind of bug infestation, I have multiple bug bites.and wake up with more everyday.
Location-close to subte and many historical places. would recommend staying in Palermo instead.
We got a deal and paid only 10 USD a night, had it been any more than that I would have up and left the hostel on our first night. The listed price for our 2 bed closet en suite is 50 USD a night....don't even consider it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank helloworld444

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Overall this hostel was well priced with clean rooms, hot showers, and free wifi. However, We did have a sour point when we asked how we were able to buy tickets to a local soccer game. We were advised that we were unable to buy tickets online and that the only way was for them to call up for us to arrange a package deal with transport, food and drinks. We were not offered any alternative and were told that no alternative existed. We later found out that we could have easily bought tickets from ticketec for 1/4 the price we were charged. Additionally our transport arrived late, we were not given any food and we only got one drink after the game was over. When we made a complaint to reception they did not care and we did not receive any form of apology. We were ripped off and sadly I think that the receptionist got a cut of the exorbitant amount we paid for the night.

Overall, a stay at the hostel is ok but do not trust their advice and seek advice elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Robyn G
Reviewed 23 November 2012

it was a great stay for me only problem ive encountered is lack of hot water at the hour everyone is showering. the staff at the reception was the most nice and helpful ive seen and their English was fluent.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights and enjoyed every one of them. Arrived late on check in where I was greeted at the reception desk with staff that were good at English and put me at ease. There is always someone at the desk, 24 hours, who can buzz people in the main door and keep you feeling safe. My friend and I were given two sheets and a warm red blanket and pillow case and shown to our room - a two bed dorm. This is not the cheapest option but we opted for a little more privacy than the 8 or 16 bed dorms. However to be honest I have heard excellent things from other people in the hostel who really enjoy staying the larger mixed rooms so if I was to stay again on a budget I would be happy in a bigger dorm. The rooms are warm which I liked, but also have a fan which my room mate liked - so this kept the peace! We had our own bathroom which was wet room style (toilet seat does get wet when you shower but nothing that you can't dry with a bit of loo roll) with shower curtain, mirror, sink etc. The place is very space efficient which is why they afford such cheap rates. I believe there is just under 140 beds in this building which astounds me!

Breakfast is included in the price and it is tasty - but not for those who dislike carbs at breakfast. You get two slices of toast and a pastry with butter and a sweet kind of toffee spread, along with the option to hand squeeze your own orange juice which made me happy every day. There are 3 computers in the building where you can use the internet (a little slow but safe and reliable) and free wifi if you use a smart phone or bring your own laptop. There are also two tvs which pleased the people in the building who watched the Olympics during their stay. The staff at the front desk are extremely knowledgeable about the area and made our trips around town much simpler and we felt comfortable with the city far sooner than I thought. It is generally a long stay hostel so there are lots of regulars who are happy to make friends and chat with you, even if you can't communicate too well with the language barrier. Everyone is very accommodating and makes you feel at home.

I was lucky enough to be staying there at the same time as a young tango professional who is training in the city. As far as I know he teaches around town and at the hostel to provide activities for those staying there. I danced salsa, tango and more every night until 2am which gave me one of the best experiences I could have asked for when exploring Buenos Aires. It maybe isn't the best place if you are very sensitive to noise because there is music always on in the downstairs lounge area because I think that is just the general rhythm of life here. Perfect for those wanting to get stuck in to the style of living in the city.

I wish I was staying longer. Top marks from me!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hostel has so many good memories for me. I stayed here for about 3 weeks over Christmas and New year's 2012 and returned regularly after that. I made so many good friends and will never forget the experience. Sure it is not a 5-star resort but it is a decent hostel with good staff and facilities. If you tell the owner Fefe there is a problem, he will fix it up straight away! There are exceptional cleaner's working around the clock to ensure everything is tidy for you. The fresh linen and towel come with your booking. If you talk to Ezequiel (Eze), you can organize an ASADO - an argentinian parilla(BBQ)! Best in the world!! The staff here are so friendly. I even became real good friends with one of them and we stay in touch even now. Love you always Eze and all the other staff at Ideal!!! Thankyou for everything :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank nat_babz
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for a night as a stopover before moving on to the next leg of our trip. The hostel is well-priced given it's excellent location, minutes from the obelisk. We had a private room which was clean and a good size with an overhead fan. The bathroom was also a good size with a reasonable shower.

The person on reception was polite and friendly and spoke good English; he did not, however, realise that I had paid a 10% deposit online in advance until I pointed this out to him, so watch out if you don't want to be overcharged (I think this was an innocent mistake, however, rather than an attempt to get more money out of guests!)

The hostel is large and appeared to be a sociable place - we were travelling as a couple and only passing through briefly, so didn't meet any other guests, but I'm sure in other circumstances we could have done easily. There was a bar and several common areas for socialising.

This hostel is well-priced and would be ideal if you're on a budget and looking to meet other travellers, it is basic but that's to be expected in this category of accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel84London
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This place was a great little find., a couple of blocks from the obelisk, but only a ten minute walk to San Telmo and easily accessible to everywhere else.
Dorms are basic but clean, there are also individual bathrooms with shower and toilet.
Staff are mostly really helpful and friendly.
Free wifi is good, there's also a couple of computers. The breakfast is awesome- squeeze your own orange juice with croissant, toast, dulce du leche, tea, coffee.
Really lovely communal area and balcony.
The rooms on the ground floor can get really hot and the noise from the communal area really travels but otherwise would definitely recommend this place.
One word of warning- the book 7 nights get the last one free offer has to be done when you're booking otherwise they won't give it to you free.. Always read the small print!

• Stayed: March 2012