“Great budget option in Buenos Aires”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pop Hotel

Pop Hotel
Ranked #94 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great budget option in Buenos Aires”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed 4 nights at Pop Hotel and were very happy with it. Despite what some others have said, we found the reception staff to be really nice and friendly and always ready to help, especially Alejandro who helped us sort out tickets to a Tango show at the last minute when another company let us down. The room was basic but very spacious and clean with a flat screen TV and air con/heater (which we needed in winter!). Breakfast was not included unlike most hotels in BA, but this is reflected in the price. Location was great, plenty of places to eat and shops nearby, short walk to the metro station and a 10-15 min walk to the bars and restaurants in Palermo Soho. Overall I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend to anyone wanting a good value hotel in BA.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahlu84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Our room was modern, clean, comfortable and quiet. We had reverse cycle a/c allowing us to keep our room at a comfortable temperature. Staff at the front counter spoke English very well and provided reliable advice. Wifi was good.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Toroni, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

At the time of writing there are major subway works right outside of the hotel. Drilling, lorries, grinding and traffic beeping horns. I thought I was on to a good thing. I wish I had stayed elsewhere. Thank God I am leaving tomorrow. Beware.

Apart from the noise nightmare this place should be called a hostel not a hotel. Thin walls. Thin floors. poor WiFi. The pop lounge consists of a table in a poorly lit vestibule next to a lift which makes me pray to St Mary each time I get in. It is located in the outlet zone 15/20mins walk from some cool bars but 1hour walk from the nice part of town and the sights. Unless you are on a serious budget go elsewhere I beg you.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Merced, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights. It was safe, clean, and if you book many days ahead of time, cheap. The staff is excellent at answering questions a newcomer to Bs. As. may have. There are room safes and a supermarket right next door, albeit with very limited offerings. It is basically a place to crash without any amenities beyond that of a basic motel in the US.
If you are forced to spend a lot of time at the hotel due to weather, etc., it is not a good choice. The walls are very thin, so you will hear your neighbors as they watch tv, chat, or the cleaning ladies clean the rooms next door. In my room (212), there was only one cube thingy to sit on, so all other transactions would have to take place on the bed. There are really no common areas that invite to spend time, not to mention get to know other people. Personally, I found it a bit claustrophobic. Nevertheless, given the price I paid ($37 a night for the first two days I stayed there), I thought it was a bargain. On the second stay, not booked with a lot of anticipation, I paid $75 per night, and thought that it was too expensive.
Lastly, you should realize that you are away from the centre of Bs. As. There is a subway station 4 blocks away, and it could get you downtown relatively fast. If you take a bus, it may take an hour or more. Still, I did not care for public transport very much because it was very full, hot, and uncomfortable (in winter time). For my last 3 days in the capital I booked a hotel downtown that allowed me to walk to all the major sights.

Room Tip: 212 was given to me as a "quiet room", yet I could follow my neighbors tv program. It goe...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Trotamundos777
Danville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had ten rooms for a week's stay in Buenos Aires for our son's recent wedding. Found this hotel on Tripadvisor and could not have been happier. Not only was it clean,safe, and conveniently located, the staff were friendly and helpful, always taking care of our many extra requests. Many thanks to Mariano, Guillermo, Alejandro,and Julia Roberts. The Pop Hotel was definitely a great find!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are larger and have balconies. Worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
MELBOURNE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Pop hotel for 4 nights and found it clean safe and comfortable. We would definitely stay there again !!It is modern looking and everything is very new Great beds showers etc Food next door at the cafe is terrific for breakfast and also reasonably priced. We could not find any faults with the staff - both young guys who were always ready and willing to guide us through B. Aries

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank REUBENMelbourne
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I really really really didn't care for this place overall. It's really not a very nice place. Is it gross- no, but it isn't that nice in comparison to what they're billing themselves as. It is silly to say this is a boutique hotel. There is absolutely nothing hip/cool/fun about the place except MAYBE the tiny lobby color pop. It becomes drab once you speak with one of the male-only (this seemed weird, not even ONE female staff member), relatively unfriendly staff. They all seem like you are doing them a favor when you talk to them. They will be of service only if you very overtly ask them something. Otherwise they sit hunched over looking bothered as each guest comes to the desk. I noticed this several times.

I guess you notice the dreariness here before you even walk in. This just isn't a great neighborhood to be around. My local friends said it is not a good area. I wouldn't say it is scary, but there is not much except the outlets (who goes on vacation in Argentina to shop at outlet stores). There are a few small places within 3-4 minutes. Once you walk up to the main street near Malabia Subte station but not really until then is there quite a bit. Put it this way, it isn't a cool romantic or "fun" or "hip" area where there's lots of shops and restaurants locals goto nearby. I would not suggest staying here overall, but also, if you're looking to get a local's perspective, there are much better areas to stay in where there's more stuff. Just stay in Palermo or somewhere else.

The beds in the room are fine. Pillows are oh kay, the blanket is nice, sheets are not that great. The room itself is relatively oh kay. Nothing special. Nor was I expecting anything much, but it did feel "cheap" if they are going to call themselves boutique anything, even if it's budget boutique. I was expecting more like a hip, newer Ibis Hotel, and this surely isn't that.

The furniture feels like a dorm...EXACTLY like one. Bathroom included.

The hallways are what makes this place really depressing. It's hilarious that they advertise these cool lounges. The hallways are so dang dark it is dank and depressing. It feels like a morgue! They're terrible! Come on, put in some light, people! Also, half of the lightbulbs outside the hotel as you walk in were out as well. Housekeeping was very nice, which was a huge contrast with the cocky, jerky front desk folks.

I didn't have a single bad incident at Pop Hotel; however, it just doesn't feel right. While the place may have a good price, it is a waste of money even for 1.99$. It's just not in a location where you will experience anything and the place itself is not very nice. This was a humongous disappointment to me.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GlendaleCA
Bárbara B, Gerente at Pop Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear GlendaleCA,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, this is very valuable for us, as we believe it is a great opportunity to keep improving every day. I am sorry we did not reach your expectations, however we are glad to know you didn't have a single bad incident or problem during your stay with us.
The pictures published in our website and in other pages are truthful to what we have, and we always emphasize on being a “Budget” hotel, and our low rates (you can book for 20 USD + tax per person with our special promos) do show that.
Regarding our Reception, Font Desk staff is trained to pay special attention to all our guests, and seeing the feedback and other reviews that we have from 99% of our guests, we believe that the goal is reached!
The Villa Crespo Outlet Zone has more than a hundred stores in just the few blocks around the hotel, there are many cafes and a few restaurants as well, it is becoming a very popular gourmet area. Pop Hotel has a very good connection with the city thanks to the proximity with the subway and Corrientes street where dozens of bus lines run every day. And Palermo is only 5 blocks away. We offer a really well priced option really close to hip areas of Buenos Aires.
Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, and I do remain at your disposal should you need any further information.
Best regards,