“Very rough around the edges”

Sheraton Libertador Hotel
Ranked #125 of 440 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Although well located, sheraton Libertador is an example of a hotel that although good at the ore (good location, breakfast, etc) is very rough around the ages. I stayed three weeks in July for business and felt that :
- great location- close to shopping centres, restaurants, and in a very touristic and safe area
- rooms overall are not too bad - large closet space, beds are comfty
- no ironing board in the room (unbelievable!). You need to call reception and wait for them to bring an iron which you need to return in half an hour.
-no complimentary water, coffee or tea in the rooms.
- my room had a problem with the a/c and heating, in which i would set the desire room temperature and the temperature will remain completely different. I had to call reception on three occasions to get this fixed
- i had to run water in the bathroom about 10 mins to get some hot water in the mornings. Would end up showering in cold water some times in order to avoid the guilt of wasting so much water. You can tell the hotel is quite an old building and renovations have done little to fix these sort of problems
- breakfast is very good and the staff in the restaurant friendly
- club lounge is comfortable and the food is quite good
- gym is ok, though in various occasions they had run out of towels or water
- small pool which i did not use looked ok for a refreshing swim
- people in the reception are friendly, but at times you have to wait very long times for them to be able to speak to you (understaffed?)

Room Tip: Stay far from the elevators as these rooms are too noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
The Management S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Libertador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear dianatennis,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Sheraton Libertador Hotel and trusting us with your accommodation during your trip to our wonderful city.

We are deeply concerned to learn the inconvenience you went through you shower and the room temperature. We had report this to Manteinance to avoid any future problem to other guests.
We are very happy to know that you enjoy your stay and you found the hotel confortable, with great restaurants and a staff friendly and helpfull.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review giving us your feedback. Without any doubt your comments are our most valuable tool to improve our service and I truly hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in our Hotel.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had the pleasure to visit this hotel 7 years ago when travelling around South America on holiday. My last 5 days on vacation were in BA and I had booked the Libertador using SPG points and had an amazing experience. Got a room upgrade to a suite and really enjoyed the location. I had the opportunity to return to BA for business in August 2013 and chose this hotel based on my previous experience (upgraded to the business level for lounge access). The location is still ideal, steps away from the main shopping/dining areas, but also close to my office. However, I'm sad to report, there were a number of things I found lacking which need to be addressed. The staff are still very friendly, and made amazing recommendations for local restaurants. But the rooms seemed a bit sad/dated, and the shower is an absolute joke. First, it takes a while to "dial the shower in" so you're not either freezing or under scalding water. Second, while I enjoy a rain shower, this shower head was so far to one side of the tub, I literally was standing on the incline of the tub to get to the water. Rain showers should not be in tubs, only shower stalls. And why not also have a toggle switch to toggle between the rain shower, and a hand held shower? Come on Sheraton, that's pretty much standard. When it came to checkout, I had upgraded my business colleague to business level (my upgrade was complimentary as I have SPG status), but my colleagues bill was a joke. Instead of just charging him the room charge for the upgraded room, they charged him for the normally daily rate for a standard room for 3 nights, and then had a single line item in the bill called "upgrade". How the heck is my employee supposed to expense a large hotel line item called "upgrade"? I expected his bill to show an executive room rate + tax for three nights, not a standard room rate + tax + a single "upgrade" charge. Sheraton, realize that many of your visitors are business travelers and have to deal with the pains of expensing our travel charges. Sadly, I might look for other places in the same area instead of picking the Sheraton again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank VivaPamplona
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This Sheraton is one of cheaper news around, so I am taking the price-point into account in writing this review. Basically, the standard run of amenities and services is as you'd expect, no better or worse, so overall the hotel is comfortable, convenient and the staff as a rule are helpful and competent.

One negative is that there is no dedicated concierge, so if travelling on holidays rather than business there's no help to be had in organising bookings etc. but that's a small minus, since it is primarily a business hotel.

My BIG gripe is this:the shower. It is absolutely terrible. There's almost no water pressure and the hot/cold adjustments are awful, ie it takes a good 5 minutes to get the water temperature to where you want it. Worse, my room had one of those "rainforest" showers with the big overhead shower head. While I'm not against these in principle, it felt like being piddled on from a great height by a macaque with prostate issues! And I'm finding this more often than not in sheratons these days... Terrible bathrooms and showers. It's like an embarrassing disease that keeps coming back.... Sheraton-itis! So in conclusion, Sheraton management, if you're reading this, FIX THE GODDAMN SHOWERS!!! It's not rocket science to achieve decent water pressure in a shower! Thank you.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dre74
The Management S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Libertador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear dre74,

We are deeply concerned to learn that the our shower experience did not meet your expectations. But is important to mention that Starwood is committed to doing more to consume less and caring for our planet, this is why we are following initiatives to reduce the water consumption by using Low-flow showerheads that help to reduce water usage, reduce the energy demand needed for hot water heating and minimize the volume of water that requires chemical wastewater treatment.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Arriving after a 14 hour flight we found that our hotel booking was for the following day, (yes Date Line error!) so the helpful desk clerk gave us rooms for the extra night, yes at a different cost but all quite reasonable and we were treated to a smile as well. When I checked in to the room I thought "oh yes" the old game of give the single male a poorer room, next to the elevators and with no tea making facilities and the minute bathtub, and not even a bathtub plug! But the room has been surprisingly quiet and is certainly clean and comfortable. As it is July and cold, it would also be an added bonus to have some heat in the room, but hey, being a single male I can always warm myself with the spare blankets from the closet! although there are good supplies in the bathroom it would have been nice to have a robe too, but I guess thats what the Club Floor gets. Mini bar is ALWAYS a problem for the harried hotel manager types; if they put too much in it, the contents get pilfered (or so they reason) so this Sheraton has a 'minimalist' approach: just one candy bar - one packet of crisps etc and a thimble sized bit of nonsense called 'scotch' - bit of a pity as the actual refrigerator is one of the biggest I have seen, but virtually empty! You think they are trying to get me to go to Club Floor maybe? Oh well, no doubt the response to this report from the management will be big on apologies and justifications, however, I really like the responses where the guest relations person says " yep, we were wrong, you were right, and we have fixed the problem throughout all rooms in the property, thanks, come again" or similar. I liked the funky 1960s lobby - and all the staff there were very pleasant; it felt like a real haven coming in from the street! And the 22nd floor pool was wonderful and warm and sunny with a nice healthy menu if you want a snack but no alcohol which is odd for a Latin country, not that I minded at all. It feels that the Sheraton Libertador is somewhat in the 'shadow' of the other Sheraton down near the river which is very swish - and so I would say that as all the staff at the Libertador do try very hard to be 'all things to all people' it is my favorite and best value for money and very convenient to see downtown BA ! Just a few touches like extending the privilege of WiFi inclusive in the rooms (not just the Club Floor) better mini bar stock, ensuring the bathtub has a plug, heat in the rooms, tea and coffee making facilities, and robes etc etc would make me never look for "other" hotels at all when I am next searching for a room. The Sheraton name while still good is being overtaken by the newer forward looking brands so some radical reshuffle of The Rules for their standards of accommodation are well overdue...will stay again if I am in the area and need a 'name brand' hotel.

Room Tip: North side rooms get sun and higher floors would have less traffic noise. Bar & Restaurant are g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
The Management S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Libertador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.
It is a pleasure to know you enjoy your stay and the hotel services.
Again, thank you for the comments, constructive support from our guests is extremely important for us when trying to improve our quality and take measures in those areas which so require.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This Sheraton, is ideally located within walking distance of Florida street. I agree with many of the previous reviewers - it's old school! Rooms are fine, lovely, large bed and many tv channels to choose from. Lobby is old fashioned though. I found wifi very expensive! In this day and age still being charged for wifi is an anomaly and annoying. Attentive staff, a little thing but they should be able to offer umbrellas to guests! Not a curt No! My biggest gripe is the woeful breakfast. After day 2 I discovered I didn't need to eat the tired, dried out buffet but could order fresh omelette! Life saver!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DragonflyAfrica
The Management S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Libertador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our property.

We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stayed at our hotel but a little surprised about your breakfast comment. Our buffet breakfast is renowned for being complete and with variety of options for every guest needs.
Internet connection is a fee that 5 stars hotels still charge. We offer free connection in our lobby 24 hours with your device or you can use our Link@Sheraton 30 minutes per day free of charge with the hotel devices.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Good Hotel and Wonderful location, though the nearest bus station is little far away, but the main shopping area, Florida street is just a walking distance, which is “The” place for shopping, walking and enjoying the place and street. With the line of shops, restaurants and souvenirs shops, it matches up with any high end fashion street of Europe. The Hotel is comfortable, the breakfast is average and the rooms are also average sized. Had one of the tailor made special Buffet lunch here, which was value for money with good spread. Internet was free for half n hour, per room at the lobby. Wish they could have offered free internet for a whole day or atleast for one hour. Nevertheless, some of the rooms on the back side offers wonderful view of the port area. Try and take a higher floor, which they may deny at the front desk as already booked, as it offers better view. The staff was nice and helpful, though most of the staff speaks Spanish, so at times use to have little difficulty in explaining the requirements but they were happy and eager to help and to be assistance. There are plenty of good eating joints near the hotels which severs specialized Argentinean cuisine and steaks.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
The Management S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Libertador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Guest

It’s wonderful to know that you enjoy your stay at our property.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your feedback, constructive support from our guests is extremely important for us when trying to improve our quality and take measures in those areas which so require.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in May 2013. The location was excellent, close proximity to Galerias Pacifico and shopping on Calle Florida. Short cab ride to Puerto Madero (for you runners out there, awesome place to run!!). We felt safe staying here and walking around. Handy to have a pharmacy right across the street as well.
Hotel staff were great! Front desk staff were friendly and knowledgable. There was also the breakfast crew manager who greeted us with a big smile every morning! I called down for extra towels, more hangers, hot water, directions, etc and was never dissappointed.
Bed was comfy, TV had good channels, room was spacious. Loved, loved loooooved all the closet space!!! The gym was good, awesome city view! Used the treadmill 2x.
Did NOT however enjoy paying the equivalent of about US $13/day for wifi!!!
Will definitively return and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our property.
Without any doubt your feedback is invaluable and will be extremely useful when evaluating the levels of service we provide.

I truly hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in our Hotel.

The Management.