“Charming hotel, great location”

Alvear Palace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 445 Hotels in Buenos Aires
London, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel, great location”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Alvear Palace met all our expectations of a hotel in this class. To top it off, the beautiful old building is in a very central location, walking distance to main attractions, good restaurants in a safe neighborhood.

Our room was large and luxurious. Turn down service was a nice touch every evening.

Service was impeccable throughout our stay. It was our honeymoon and they surprised us with a bottle of sparkling and chocolates on arrival.

The only thing I would fault would be perhaps the breakfast buffet as I am not a fan of sweets and pastries for breakfast. The breakfast did have scrambled eggs, however poached or fried eggs were extra charge.

Overall highly recommend this hotel, but perhaps consider having breakfast in one of the many nearby cafés instead.

• Stayed March 2014
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to hear of your positive experience at the Alvear Palace Hotel, and will be sure to share your feedback with our entire team.

We would like to inform you that we have a Egg´s menu and you can order it.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards,

Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Irvine, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Please put this all into perspective. I have a love of all things 5 star. I LOVE staying at Four Seasons Hotels, for instance. I hesitated before booking here, as the Four Seasons in Buenos Aires also has received excellent reviews.

Our group of sex decided that we wanted to stay in a classic Buenos Aires hotel, if only to enjoy the experience, and knowing that the Alvear has somewhat recently gone through an extensive update, we decided to go there, instead.

The Alvear is located in the Recoleta region of the city, which is among the priciest places to live in the city (if not THE priciest). Recoleta is also the home of BA's famous cemetery, which is always among the must see areas of the city. It is where Eva Peron is buried, among many of the cities luminaries. In fact, it's just a couple of blocks away, so the Alvear is convenient.

It IS a classic hotel, with all the accoutrements one would expect of such a place, including the marble, high ceilings, and classic details.

Our rooms (all suites) were over-the-top. We each had two bathrooms, outrageous storage, extremely high ceilings, chandeliers (in each room), and beautiful furniture.

They also had poor drainage in the bathrooms, bad water pressure in the showers, dated gold fixtures, poor use of space, and areas of bad lighting.

The hotel lobby had a small check in area which would have seemed luxurious many decades ago, a concierge desk staffed by a collection of disinterested professionals, despite the fact that we were staying in three of their suites.

There were times where we stood patiently awaiting assistance from the concierge on staff, only to be ignored while he or she was on the phone.

Perhaps if I tipped them they might offer more courteous service, one might ask? Alas, I did, and received no more attention than before.

Their lobby restaurant served breakfast each morning with classic white glove treatment, and I did appreciate several of the servers.

But the breakfasts, in this internationally recognized foodie city was at best eh...nothing special.

None of us appreciated the sign that suggested that we be dressed formally in lobby. It struck us as snobbish, and this coming from someone that stays at five star resorts.

Bottom line:

Is the hotel beautiful in a classic sense? Absolutely
Are their suites spacious and beautiful? Definitely
Is the location great? Yes, of course

Would you stay there again instead of the nearby Park Hyatt or the ever glamorous Four Seasons? Sorry, I wouldn't.

And so, I give them an excellent rating, which they certainly deserve, as it truly is a unique property. Doing anything less would be a travesty.

But...I would suggest staying elsewhere. Sorry, but I would.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank steve l
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologise for the issues you encountered on your stay with us. Please know that this is not the 5 star standards that we value and I will look into the issues you have mentioned.

I would like to discuss these issues with you further, please contact me nsalvagno@avear.com.ar

I look forward to talking with you soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This is your fantastic, classic, five star, old world, top of the line hotel. Probably one of the best I've stayed in, in this category. From the beds, to the towels, to the bathroom sundries, room service, to the staff, to the breakfast buffet, to the bar, nothing missed. La Bourgogne Restaurant was one of my top five restaurant experiences ever! If you've read my other reviews, I'm picky. We stayed here on the way to and from Antarctica, which I might add was amazing.
Hotel was in great location for walking around. Local craft market two blocks away. A must, the Opera House.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guet,

Thank you kindly for your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Everything you mentioned, from the great service provided by our staff to the comfort and of our beds is exactly the experience we wish to create for you.

I am so glad you had a great experience with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,

washington dc
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a beautiful, "old world" type hotel with an outstanding staff who will take care of all your needs. The location is excellent, walking distance to most major sites and museums. The buffet breakfast is top notch. My only gripes were our junior suite view [on the even-numbered side of the hotel] was of the inner courtyard [really the interior of an entire city block so not claustrophobic] and thus faced the rather dull apartment buildings around the courtyard. I suspect the street side rooms might have had to contend with street noise and traffic [it's on a major intersection] so we did not request a room change. Also, the bathroom configuration [the result of a renovation of the entire hotel, I think] was not very practical for us. The commode and bidet shared a room with a tub and wall-mounted tv while the shower and sink area was cramped and movement impeded by dueling doors. Seemed like the tub could have been eliminated in favor of a double vanity but we managed. Otherwise, the hotel offered a very pleasant stay, comfortable bed and soft linens, windows that opened, fruit and water in the room each day. There is a spa, work out room and pool. The hotel has a map of jogging trails and will provide car service anywhere you want upon request.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank addy
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed two nights before our cruise and had a wonderful experience. The staff was excellent and very helpful. One time I had to check email and the business center was closed. A staff member took me up and let me in. The concierges were very helpful in recommending a nearby restaurant for dinner and telling us how to get there on foot. The breakfasts and lunch were outstanding and delicious. The variety of the offerings was incredible. In my opinion, the Alvear Palace Hotel was better than the Grand Hotel in Stockholm.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great experience here at the Alvear Palace Hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities in the hotel. It is nice to hear that you had such positive interactions with our hotel staff.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your most recent stay with us. Please feel free to reach out to me should your travels bring you back to Buenos Aires!

Mission, Kansas
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have stayed in some great hotels over the years. The Goring, the Milestone and 41 in London, the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal, the Hazelton in Toronto. All of them were exceptional.

The Alvear Palace is in the same league, with remarkable old-world charm that's fresh and unfaded and utterly attentive service. I worked with several concierges over the two night I stay there and all made me feel like my petty concerns were the center of the universe. They gave great advice on places to go and things to do.

Where the Alvear, to my mind, exceeds some of these other hotels is that not only their staff but their policies are remarkably hospitable. I was delayed for a day due to bad weather in Atlanta. No problem, I wasn't charged for my room. I wanted a late check out -- this was not a given but once they figured out that they could do it, there was no charge. A free shoe shine comes with the room. I also got other courtesies that usually, even at the best hotels, cost extra. I never once felt like I was being nickel and dimed. I loved the Goring -- and will go back -- but had to pay for internet access. Seriously? Never once at the Alvear did I have that unsettling feeling of: damn I paying a million dollars for this room and you want to charge me for (fill in the blank.)

The room itself was perfect, the bath room large and accomodating with Hermes toiletries. Gym and spa are very up to date (and when I was there empty...)

Perhaps the only slightly off note was that I from time to time found the bar staff not as on the ball as they might be. And this when bar wasn't crowded. But the bar is so amazingly beautiful (and the people-watching so first rate) I was easily able to occupy myself while I waited perhaps a bit too long to be served.

I don't know, something about the place made me feel lost in time, like a Borges story. You do feel like you've crossed some meridian when you walk through the door. But you come to this new place -- through the looking glass if you will -- and you don't want to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
new york
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Alvear had an old world charm in a magnificent setting The staff was exceptionally helpful and courteous especially the concierge. The rooms and bathrooms were very comfortable and well appointed. When I return to Buenos Aires I will surely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the five-star review! It is so good to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities of the hotel and guest room. Thank you for choosing the Alvear Palace Hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!