“Old School Excellence”

Alvear Palace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel has a great reputation and it certainly didn't disappoint in any aspect. We felt slightly underdressed turning up in shorts with backpacks, but reception were welcoming, friendly and helpful in every aspect. The staff are very well trained and it shows - they noticed our early check-out (7am) before breakfast started in the restaurant and offered us a complimentary continental breakfast in the room. They asked where we were going on to (one day ferry trip to Montevideo) - so asked if we wanted luggage stored or transferred on to anywhere else. It is this sort of service - where they think of things before you have that doesn't just gain this hotel its 5-star status, but ensures it maintains it.
Great room with large bathroom (exceptional products). Hotels of this standard often charge outrageous rates for wifi, but here it is free. Concierge helpful, with good restaurant recommendations (for any budget).
Breakfast in the restaurant is excellent. Breakfast in the room comes on a trolley that converts to a proper table, it was a shame we had to rush to check out rather than relax and enjoy it.
I could not find a single fault with this hotel - just be aware that there is a dress code for communal areas, so don't just bring flip flops and shorts!

Room Tip: Ours didn't have much of a view and was close to the lift, but there was no noise and inside was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alvear Palace Hotel

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having stayed at the Alvear Art Hotel where we were most impressed thought we would give their older traditional hotel a try for a change.
Certainly a beautifully presented hotel with five star public rooms where the bar and breakfast rooms couldn't be better.
Breakfast was excellent and the service and attention from the staff wonderful.
However I think we were given the worst room in the Hotel.
It turned out to be noisy with sounds coming from the footsteps of the room above and a loud TV and voices in an adjoining room and hallway had us searching for earplugs during the night.
Room TV was mostly dubbed Spanish programs with one English news station which seems strange for a five star international hotel.
Room small and,as expected,dated with a revamped but outdated small bathroom.
Not even saved by a window tucked into the corned of the room that let in inadequate light and gave a magnificent view of the wall adjoining.
The noise in our room( next to a service area) would have had me checking out earlier if it hadn't been for the earplugs.
Five stars for the public areas and service but failure for our room - avoid room 405. Lousy nights sleep due to the noise and then this has us criticizing other room aspects that certainly don't live up to this once magnificent hotel.
Way, way more comfort and value at the Alvear Art but less history.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BJbelmont
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Alvear Palace met all our expectations of a hotel in this class. To top it off, the beautiful old building is in a very central location, walking distance to main attractions, good restaurants in a safe neighborhood.

Our room was large and luxurious. Turn down service was a nice touch every evening.

Service was impeccable throughout our stay. It was our honeymoon and they surprised us with a bottle of sparkling and chocolates on arrival.

The only thing I would fault would be perhaps the breakfast buffet as I am not a fan of sweets and pastries for breakfast. The breakfast did have scrambled eggs, however poached or fried eggs were extra charge.

Overall highly recommend this hotel, but perhaps consider having breakfast in one of the many nearby cafés instead.

• Stayed: March 2014
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to hear of your positive experience at the Alvear Palace Hotel, and will be sure to share your feedback with our entire team.

We would like to inform you that we have a Egg´s menu and you can order it.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Please put this all into perspective. I have a love of all things 5 star. I LOVE staying at Four Seasons Hotels, for instance. I hesitated before booking here, as the Four Seasons in Buenos Aires also has received excellent reviews.

Our group of sex decided that we wanted to stay in a classic Buenos Aires hotel, if only to enjoy the experience, and knowing that the Alvear has somewhat recently gone through an extensive update, we decided to go there, instead.

The Alvear is located in the Recoleta region of the city, which is among the priciest places to live in the city (if not THE priciest). Recoleta is also the home of BA's famous cemetery, which is always among the must see areas of the city. It is where Eva Peron is buried, among many of the cities luminaries. In fact, it's just a couple of blocks away, so the Alvear is convenient.

It IS a classic hotel, with all the accoutrements one would expect of such a place, including the marble, high ceilings, and classic details.

Our rooms (all suites) were over-the-top. We each had two bathrooms, outrageous storage, extremely high ceilings, chandeliers (in each room), and beautiful furniture.

They also had poor drainage in the bathrooms, bad water pressure in the showers, dated gold fixtures, poor use of space, and areas of bad lighting.

The hotel lobby had a small check in area which would have seemed luxurious many decades ago, a concierge desk staffed by a collection of disinterested professionals, despite the fact that we were staying in three of their suites.

There were times where we stood patiently awaiting assistance from the concierge on staff, only to be ignored while he or she was on the phone.

Perhaps if I tipped them they might offer more courteous service, one might ask? Alas, I did, and received no more attention than before.

Their lobby restaurant served breakfast each morning with classic white glove treatment, and I did appreciate several of the servers.

But the breakfasts, in this internationally recognized foodie city was at best eh...nothing special.

None of us appreciated the sign that suggested that we be dressed formally in lobby. It struck us as snobbish, and this coming from someone that stays at five star resorts.

Bottom line:

Is the hotel beautiful in a classic sense? Absolutely
Are their suites spacious and beautiful? Definitely
Is the location great? Yes, of course

Would you stay there again instead of the nearby Park Hyatt or the ever glamorous Four Seasons? Sorry, I wouldn't.

And so, I give them an excellent rating, which they certainly deserve, as it truly is a unique property. Doing anything less would be a travesty.

But...I would suggest staying elsewhere. Sorry, but I would.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank steve l
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologise for the issues you encountered on your stay with us. Please know that this is not the 5 star standards that we value and I will look into the issues you have mentioned.

I would like to discuss these issues with you further, please contact me nsalvagno@avear.com.ar

I look forward to talking with you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is your fantastic, classic, five star, old world, top of the line hotel. Probably one of the best I've stayed in, in this category. From the beds, to the towels, to the bathroom sundries, room service, to the staff, to the breakfast buffet, to the bar, nothing missed. La Bourgogne Restaurant was one of my top five restaurant experiences ever! If you've read my other reviews, I'm picky. We stayed here on the way to and from Antarctica, which I might add was amazing.
Hotel was in great location for walking around. Local craft market two blocks away. A must, the Opera House.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guet,

Thank you kindly for your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Everything you mentioned, from the great service provided by our staff to the comfort and of our beds is exactly the experience we wish to create for you.

I am so glad you had a great experience with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a beautiful, "old world" type hotel with an outstanding staff who will take care of all your needs. The location is excellent, walking distance to most major sites and museums. The buffet breakfast is top notch. My only gripes were our junior suite view [on the even-numbered side of the hotel] was of the inner courtyard [really the interior of an entire city block so not claustrophobic] and thus faced the rather dull apartment buildings around the courtyard. I suspect the street side rooms might have had to contend with street noise and traffic [it's on a major intersection] so we did not request a room change. Also, the bathroom configuration [the result of a renovation of the entire hotel, I think] was not very practical for us. The commode and bidet shared a room with a tub and wall-mounted tv while the shower and sink area was cramped and movement impeded by dueling doors. Seemed like the tub could have been eliminated in favor of a double vanity but we managed. Otherwise, the hotel offered a very pleasant stay, comfortable bed and soft linens, windows that opened, fruit and water in the room each day. There is a spa, work out room and pool. The hotel has a map of jogging trails and will provide car service anywhere you want upon request.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank addy
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed two nights before our cruise and had a wonderful experience. The staff was excellent and very helpful. One time I had to check email and the business center was closed. A staff member took me up and let me in. The concierges were very helpful in recommending a nearby restaurant for dinner and telling us how to get there on foot. The breakfasts and lunch were outstanding and delicious. The variety of the offerings was incredible. In my opinion, the Alvear Palace Hotel was better than the Grand Hotel in Stockholm.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
NSalvagno, Assistant to the General Manager at Alvear Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great experience here at the Alvear Palace Hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities in the hotel. It is nice to hear that you had such positive interactions with our hotel staff.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your most recent stay with us. Please feel free to reach out to me should your travels bring you back to Buenos Aires!

Kind regards,