“Rip Off”

Ranked #251 of 445 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Santiago,Chile
“Rip Off”
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I should have followed the other reviews..
I arrived at 12 PM on friday, really tired because of the flight and found out that the hotel was fully booked!! They said they had a problem with the reservations department and that they fixed my problem giving me a room in another hotel that was like 10 blocks away!!
i choosed that hotel because i was travelling with a group of friends that were staying near that hotel! i had to sleep on a couch that night!!
The funny thing is that another friend had the same problem the same night!!! and the guy on the reception told me this happens all the time!!!
I booked through HOTELS.COM and my friend through expedia.
Amazing.. pls stay OUT of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Teclaro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, UK
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We booked this hotel on venere.com, turned up at night after our 16 hour flight and were told rather unapologetically that the hotel was fully booked! We were then taxi'd to a 'sister' hotel some distance away and so never managed to stay here.

This was the first time I have ever been bounced by a hotel, and I really don't recommend it! Steer clear of this hotel if you want to avoid the experience.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TameAnimal

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Oaxaca
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I wish I had listened to more of the reviewers. I booked this hotel because we were traveling overnight to Mendoza the following day and I thought I'd splurge. The hotel tries to be elegant but the staff is nothing but rude and arrogant. By the way, we are from Mexico and speak Spanish fluently but that makes no difference. We booked on Expedia for around $80 plus fees. After we sat down for breakfast the next morning, we were presented a bill for $20. Expedia said it was included. That raised the hotel bill 25% and it clearly was not worth it. Yes, the bed was comfortable and the bath was nicely remodeled but there was no insulation in the remodeling. We could hear the tv from the adjoining room clearly. In fact, I asked my travel partner what he was watching on tv. He replied "Nothing. It is off." This went on until around 9:30 pm when I decided I had had enough. Fortunately they turned off the tv. Please listen to me and avoid this hotel at all costs. By the way, there is no way to contact Expedia regarding issues such as this.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Oaxacaone
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 May 2009

The staff at this hotel is extremely rude. I stayed at this hotel a month ago and they incorrectly charged about $100 on my credit card. I have been asking them to take this charge away, and they keep saying that the charge is just a "block", whatever that means, and it will go away. However, I called my credit card company and they confirmed that since my card is a prepaid debit card, the hotel charge did take away money from my prepaid funds. I've called and emailed this hotel and NO ONE has ever gotten back to me. I just want my money back and these people won't give it to me. All they need to do is contact my credit card company and let them know they are not charging me. How hard is that??????

I do NOT recommend that you stay at this hotel, unless you want these people to steal your money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank NRubin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2009

This hotel (and the others in the Unique chain), pop up often in Orbitz with discounted rates. Hotels in Buenos Aires are overpriced already, so if you can snag this one at a good price you'd do well. I don't know that I would have stayed here if I were paying the rack rate. The fact that it used to be a Kempinsky hotel explains the somewhat tacky decor (it's not old tacky, it's intentionally tacky). The rooms were large, beds comfortable. There was some confusion about wifi charges. Both Orbitz and the hotel's website say it's an extra US$14 for 12 hours, which is outrageous, but when I checked in I was told that wifi was available only up to the first floor but that it was free. Don't get a room facing the street if you're bothered by traffic noise. Though the hotel is supposedly in Recoleta, it's really Barrio Norte and not the chic part of town. Still, there are lots of restaurants around. Also, take care when asking them to call you a taxi. I asked for a taxi to the airport in good Spanish, but instead the guy called for a limo-type service that would have cost three times as much. When I told him all I wanted was a radio taxi, he just went out into the street and hailed one (which I would have done had I known). Then he told the driver to take me to the boat landing, even though I had said several times I was going to the airport. Don't know if he was trying to get back at me since I refused the car he'd called. Still I'd stay here again if I got an equivalent rate.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
ontario, canada
Reviewed 28 March 2009

I booked this last minute with Expedia who had a special on this. I paid only $85CDN. Unbelievable. It is a beautiful hotel. The room is very nice, the bed very comfortable. The bathroom is a little on the small side but very nice. The location...suberb. Very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago, USA
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Recoleta is a big neighborhood with lots of hotel options, but most that we found were over US$200. The Park Elegance Unique was just over US$100 per night and were very satisfied.

The front desk staff is very helpful, although their recommendation for the tango show wound up being far more expensive for the show we saw so shop around, including just going down to San Telmo in the late afternoon to survey your options - Av. San Lorenzo is a great spot.

The room was very nice, modern design and clean, white linens; the bathroom was a little cramped but everything was clean.

The location on Pueyrredon at Plaza Mitre is good: 10mins to Recoleta Cemetery, 10mins to the green Subte line at Av. Santa Fe, and about 30mins to Casa Rosada. Taxis are very easy and cheap, so getting up to Palermo SoHo or Las Canitas is only $15 pesos, which is not even US$5.

Choose this hotel for a good, safe location near a nice park, on a transportation connect that is rather convenient, and service that will make you feel like you're a VIP!

• Liked — location, value
  • Disliked — not a whole lot of personality; tango show recommendation was a disappointment
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple