“Good experience...”

Ranked #381 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Canada
“Good experience...”
Reviewed 28 September 2006

While this hotel is not luxurious, it is in a great location and feels like "the real deal". It was not over run with tourists, and although the staff did not all speak English...they were all helpful.

I recommend asking for a room that faces the back of the hotel, as friends complained about street noise on Corrientes (the street that never sleeps), but I did not have this problem facing the other side of the building.

You have to request the AC be turned on when you are in your room, and the water pressure in the afternoon can be a challenge.

Continental breakfast included was fine. Lots of cafes and good restarants (with great affordable prices) close by.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Facilities (water pressure, electricity, AC)
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room that does NOT face the main street -- noisy
  • Stayed November 2005
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Bs_As_fan

New York, NY
Reviewed 17 July 2005

Really, I've never been treated worse. But you decide -- maybe my expectations are too high. I made a reservation, in which I wrote that I would be arriving at 11. My plane made an emergency landing in Asuncion because of weather and we were delayed, so I got to the hotel at 2:00. When I got there, there told me that I no longer had a reservation, and were very cavalier about it -- not at all sympathetic or feeling any responsibility. Just said "good bye". Apparently, this is standard practice. They told me it was standard in all hotels around the world that reservations could be cancelled if a person didn't show up on the hour when they said they would. I never heard of this (and I travel all the time), and when they asked me what hour I was going to arrive, they didn't tell me that I needed to either arrive then or alert them as to a late arrival. I asked for the official complaint book and they gave me a guest customer satisfaction survey of the one sheet kind with boxes you check off that is left in your hotel room. That is not the same thing and I've been to Buenos Aires about 20 times and well know that it isn't. Clearly, they were up to something shifty and didn't want me to file an official complaint, even though they legally are supposed to make that option available. They finally made a reservation for me in a dump down the street after making me feel like I was being really demanding. The place was a pit so I declined on arrival. Luckily, I know Buenos Aires well and found another place. What if I hadn't stayed in B.A. before? Who treats guests like this?

If you don't like surprises, I would avoid the Columbia Palace Hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank tpsunny

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

boston, ma
Reviewed 20 July 2004

A great value. Clean, friendly, and in a fantastic location in microcenter. Blissfully devoid of American tourists. There are cheaper hotels to be found, but they are in areas you might not like to stay. Speaking Spanish will make your stay easier, as the staff may not speak very much English.

6 Thank doc11