“A little expensive but with a nice service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Dolmen

Hotel Dolmen
Ranked #127 of 450 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Alegrete RS
“A little expensive but with a nice service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

The employees are very helpful.There's a guy who works in the breakfast who treated the guests with a special attention his name's Miguel.The maids deserve a little tips they are very helpful.The only problem is the noise that comes from the others pipes in the bathroom.But close the bathroom door and you can sleep well.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed with two young children for 3 nights The Dolmen is nice modern hotel with good location a few blocks from the Obelisco and the shopping streets and Pacifico shopping ctr and in the other direction a not too far walk to Recoletta.
Staff: Friendly and helpful Good english
Room: cream coloured carpet maybe not the best choice for a busy hotel so it was a bit grubby but apart from that the room was immaculate and v comfortable beds
Noise: We were on the sixth floor on roadside of hotel with building works hardly heard anything, but marble floors inside did mean quite a bit of hallway noise but nothing crazy and usually only in the am around breakfast time
Pool: Lovely location on 16 floor with panoramic city views small but good with indoor outdoor pools, jacuzzi and saunas and small gym
Breakfast: very nice good range of food Bacon eggs, cereals,fruit, baked goods juices n tea and coffee.
Overall a very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Higher up is quieter Rear is sunnier
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

If you're not a fussy traveler, like me, this hotel is more than adequate. The rooms were clean and being in the back part of the hotel we didn't have much noise. Yes, the maid service was inconsistent with replacing towels and bath mats but a phone call fixed it.

The location makes it easy to walk or take a taxi to a number of popular tourist attractions and is central to bars and clubs (if that's your thing). The staff is friendly and helpful.

The continental breakfast is just that...nothing special but more than adequate to get your day started.

Yes, the wi-fi is horrible. Plenty of people have commented on it so I won't. But if Internet is that important while you're on vacation there are reliable computers in the lobby and plenty of Internet cafes in the area.

The area is seedy very late at night (it was normal for us to get back from dinner and drinks at 2 a.m.) so definitely use all common sense precautions as a tourist.

And the pictures of the pool and gym are misleading. The "hot tub" was cold. I'd avoid the whole rooftop area altogether.

Our party of three was forced to get two rooms when we would have been perfectly comfortable in one room. But I blame that on the travel agent. And since we were split up I can tell you firsthand that some rooms are nicer than others. So if you think your room seems old and you're unhappy, request one of the remodeled ones.

I enjoyed my stay at the Dolmen and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

We stayed in 10 different places during our recent trip to Chile and Argentina. This was the most expensive - which is reasonable as it was a high standard hotel in the centre of Buenos Aires, and you would expect the other cities we visited to be cheaper.

Things were mostly as they should be. Handy location, small pool, well-used, could do with more sunbeds, but there may not be room for them. Turn down service, not something we needed, but as we were in the room, we each collected a little chocolate. Excellent breakfast. The Buenos Aires Herald (English language newspaper) was at our door on one of the three mornings.

The snag was the internet. I see it was criticised before. The problem is not with the networks. There is one network per floor - and I detected floors 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 as being possible. We never actually managed to connect to 5, but, at various times connected to all the others. I suspect the password was different on 5. The password supplied was a particularly complex combination of letters and numbers.

The difficulty was that, although we could connect to the hotel network, they were often not connected to the internet. Sometimes they did, but after an arbitrary period of time, it dropped me, and I had to re-log on. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I managed to work my way through the different networks (awkward password every time), and found one that had connectivity to the internet. We resorted to using the lobby computers (there were only 2) at times. It was all very frustrating as there was something we had to sort out.

Previous comments suggested that customers could not log on in their rooms to the network. That has obviously been solved. However whomever is managing the networks has done a poor job in setting up the router link to the ISP, and in creating the monitoring processes to ensure service is restored when there is a problem.

Internet connectivity is important to us, and out of the 10 places we stayed, this was number 8 or 9. The others were all cheaper. This is not the standard that I should expect from a hotel of this standard, and is the reason that I would not stay here again, or recommend it. If internet connection is unimportant to you, it would be OK. As the management have addressed the networking problem, maybe they will address the connectivity problem. So you can ignore the negative aspects of this review if you find that subsequent reviewers praise the Wi-Fi service.

We ate in the restaurant once. The good steak came overcooked (we had ordered a punto), but we started eating it, and showed it to the waiter. They brought us replacement meals, with the steak cooked correctly, but we were not sure that was going to happen (language difficulties). The waiter had left us the original meals which we continued to eat, with the result we did not have the capacity for the second one. He should have taken the first away when the decision was made to do them again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donard
astenberg, General Manager at Hotel Dolmen, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Sir

We appologize for the inconvenience you had in your stay with Us.
It is not common in Dolmen Hotel, if a Guest has a problem, and we know it, the problem is not been resolved inmidiatly.
Our Mission is tath the Guest returns, and the only way is to make a happines stay of them.
Sometimes we can have problems with the Internet provider Company, but we claim it right away.
Nowadays we know Internet es very important for all the people, that is the reason the Internet service it´s a complimentary for our guest.
Also we estimate your comments for our service, the employs are very valuable for us in Dolmen Hotel, they are always ready to help the clients, and they know the clients are our reason to be in the market.
We would like to see you again in Dolmen Hotel in your next visit to Argentina, in the way to excuse in person and to invite you to try our service once again, we know that we can impove your expectations.
Cordialy.
new york-virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed at the Dolmen for 4 days through New Years Eve and the hotel staff was amazing. Our travel agent misspelled our names completely for our reservations and the hotel staff was very prompt in working to resolve the problem quickly. The airline also lost my luggage and the staff members were very helpful in assisting me by making phone calls to the airport/local airline staff to retrieve my bags. Our rooms were clean and just what we needed to come back to after a long day of sight seeing and a night of great food/wine. We had no problems with noise...if anything between the two hotels that we stayed at in BA it was some of the best sleep of the trip but we were at the end of the hall on the back side. So if you're a light sleeper you might want to ask for one of those rooms.

They were also great in giving us suggestions for restaurants, places to go and places to avoid to maximize our time while being safe.

I will say that there pictures of the pool are completely not realistic. The pool/gym does not look anything like the pics and the bar consist of beer in a bucket. That was a real dissapointment but the hotel bar downstairs made up for it w/ great conversation and coffee drinks w/real whipped cream. (Side note--if you ask for real cream in the US you're getting whipped cream out of a can so this was a nice little perk for us).

Also, the free internet access is priceless!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

I do not understand why this hotel has such a good rating on Trip Advisor. I spent a week there (from Christmas Day to New Year day) and to me everything about this hotel was 'just barely OK' but nothing more.

Clearness.
The carpet is dirty. The bathroom needs some renovation, too. Everything else is OK.

Service.
Mostly good altough I did not use much of it. They serviced the room twice a day, the second time making a bed. One day when changing the towels they gave just one towel instead of two and did not give a floor mat but the other days everything was OK. The shampoo and soap are of a cheap kind. They charged my room with something that I did not use from the mini-bar but when I told I did not use they reversed the charge, so that was OK.

Breakfast.
Not tasty at all. Choice is small. The same stuff every morning. But it is eatable, not too many people, so it was OK.

Room.
Everything is OK except the air conditioner. The day I checked in was really hot, +36..37C (100F) so I thought it was because of that. But the other days the temperature was lower, around +31C (88F) and it still was not sufficient. I always kept it on the maximum level and the only time it was comfortable was after the middle of the night and the early morning. Other times, it was just liveable but not comfortable.

Internet.
Every floor has its own WiFi point. When I managed to connect to my floor point it was OK but maybe 1 time out of 3 I could not and I had to connect to a different floor in which case it was sooo sloooow...

Location.
Yes, it is close to the subway (subte) station (few blocks) and it is in the safe area. That is good. The bad thing is that Retiro is not a good place for tourists. It is close to a few attracions but not to many of them so most of the times I ended up taking a subway or taxi (and taxi is really not expensive in BsAs so I used them a lot). The problem is that the traffic in this part of the city on weekdays is really, really bad. Few times I was late because I did not expect it would take 10 minutes to pass a few blocks. The city itself is not very pleasant place around the hotel, the sidewalks are narrow, lots of traffic, lots of people, etc. As a tourist I really wished that I stayed in Recoleta, Palermo or maybe Puerto Madero or San Telmo, so again, the location was barely OK for me but definitely not excellent or good.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

It was the only hotel available at the time because of an event held in Buenos Aires. The lobby of the hotel was very nice, but little did we know, we were fooled but its outer appearance. The service was not good at all, we had booked 3 rooms (2 rooms for 3 people and one room for 2), and they only had 2 rooms available. We had already paid for the rooms and the system showed that we did order 3 rooms. Although they said that they will fix it (which they did) it was unpleasant to have to arrive to a hotel and have to deal with something like this. As soon as we stepped into the hotel room, we were hit with a blast of hot air. We turned the AC on and unpacked. Everything felt old and dirty. After an hour, the room didn't feel any cooler, we asked for some one to help fix the AC because it was blistering hot. We spent 3 days at the Dolmen, and our AC was never fixed during our stay, so we had to keep out windows open (and listen to the traffic outside) to sleep. Also, the hair dryer didn't work at all. The next morning, we went down for breakfast, the food was mediocre and the staff members were immensely rude to us, they gave us an attitude and it was an unpleasant way to start the day. Our towels in our rooms were never replaced as well, the old towels were taken and new ones were never bothered to be put back. When we were about to check out, they alerted us that we had to pay a fee because some one had charged something to our room. We asked for a receipt which they didn't have, and then we asked for the time and date of the purchase, which turned out to be during New Years Eve, and we were all out partying so it was impossible for us to be at the hotel. They insisted and insisted, so we decided to pay because we were about to be late for out flight. It was an overall disaster, the only good thing was the free internet access in back of the lobby.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family