“Stay elsewhere.”

Ranked #197 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
San Diego, California
“Stay elsewhere.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I chose this hotel because it was advertised as in the center of everything. Well something that's not a good thing when it is in the center of crowded sidewalks, the worst traffic anywhere and a long walk to what you came to see. The reception was rude, the room was shabby and the price just wasn't worth hit. Cheap furniture, hard mattress, sticky floors, a patio chair for the desk, I mean why stay here? I wished I'd looked harder.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank tiedtothedock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Porto Alegre, Brazil
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

I stayed at Obelisco Center this Easter with my parents. We went in a group tour with CVC (Brazilian travel agancy). The hotel is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. The room was old and poorly decorated. The windows were completely dirty. The linen was rough. There were many broken things in the room, the staff was unpolite and, worst of all, there is no room service. I order a coffee at 11h30min and the staff told me to go round the corner and have a coffee at a café. The only thing about the hotel is its location, but I bet there are better hotels around. Think twice about staying there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

The hotel itself is good, has a very good breakfast and service. The only con is that the rooms have some old furniture, but yet i felt very confortable there. The location of the hotel is also very good, right at the Roque Saenz Peña street, very close to the obelisk.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matheusro
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

It is hard to believe this is a 4 star hotel esppecial if we are talking about the service! The staff is not welcoming at all. No smile, and they make you feel you are bothering them. After settling down before going out, we asked when the fitness center is open, the receptionist (a man) answered us without even bothering himself to lift his head and look at us.

The dinner is below the average. The quality of the food is bad (no tast and over cooked) but the service is even worse! I am under the impression that the people in this hotel don't know how to smile. We don't know the breakfast yet, but we won't expect much.

The only positive point of this hotel is the location.

Well, oner all, I won't recommend this hotel to anybody. That's really a pity. After 2 weeks traveling in Argentina, we had so great experience everywhere, before arriving in Buenos Aires, before the Obelisco hotel!

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank Redsandal
Sao Paulo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

People very nice and helpful. Location good, close to main attractions. The rest really bad, including flees in a small additional bed that kept us from sleeping. We told the manager and he changed us to another clean and much better room, but the demage was already made. Very old hotel, only partially renewed, but in general not well kept. Worn carpet, lights not enough to see your face on the mirror, ugly corridors, small elevator. Breakfast very simple, with few options and a rude waiter. I do not recomend it, stay away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
mpls
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2008

Not bad, not great. The staff was friendly. The room was very clean, but it needed a lot of TLC. The lights that were working were very dim -- if I wanted to read or write in the evening, I used a flashlight. Worn carpeting, worn furnishings. Breakfast buffet was generous and good. Location was good for walking to Florida Street, and the staff was great about calling taxis for me. I booked a tango show through the hotel and was pleased with it.

However, on my last day, I booked two tours through the hotel, and I asked and was informed the second one would be back at the hotel by 6:00 pm. They arranged for a taxi to whisk me to the airport at 6:30 pm. However, the tour didn't get to the hotel until 7:00 (and that was only because I talked the guide into dropping me off first). By then the taxi had left and the staff chided me for missing it. They called for another, and eventually sent me in an unmarked taxi to the airport --I was charged $105 Arg. (But I did still arrive in plenty of time to catch my flight).

I wouldn't stay at the Obelisco again -- but maybe it would work for you.

Stayed February 2008
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2006

This hotel is on the same standard as a first class european tourist hotel. The service and professionalism of the staff was great. The rooms are not what one would expect in a four star hotel in the US as the standard Argentine beds are all smaller. The twins are the same as US beds but the "matrimonial bed" is the size of a small US queen. The Amreican hotels in Argentina are different. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are nice, just not to a US 4 star standard. The air conditioner in our room worked very well and the staff arranged for some outstanding tours including the City Bus tour ($10 us), and a two day trip to the Iguasu falls ($400 us) that was all very much first class by US standards and a trip we would recommend NOT BE MISSED. This hotel is litteraly in the middle of everything in Buenos Aires and we recommend it as a great location.

• Stayed February 2006