“Simply.....wow!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 450 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Lima
“Simply.....wow!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2008

My travel agent recommended this hotel. I usually go to Hilton Puerto Madero but wanted to give this one a try. I went to Buenos Aires for business (to give a lecture in a school) and travelled alone. I loved the Faena hotel! It's so hype, so modern and cool. I agree on the bathroom problems and was afraid the glass sink would break! Anyway, the dining rooms and bars were simply so New York chic, so bohemian and full of nice good looking people. Overall it was a fabulous experience and had the best cosmopolitans I've ever had.

• Liked — Atmosphere, bars and restaurants, decoration
  • Disliked — Bathroom, internet connection in room was a bit bad.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ushi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Diego, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,402 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2008

I’ve been to the Faena plenty of times to eat and also the bar as I live here in Buenos Aires. Also, I have a few friends that own apartments in this building. Few people know that part of the hotel is private apartments owned by foreigners and locals.

I was at a wedding reception in Puerto Madero near the Faena so I decided it would be romantic to book a room there. We booked an Executive Studio. Rate is pretty expensive at u$s 545 + 21% tax.

Check in was a breeze. I had my car so we valet parked and the “experience manager” greeted us and checked us in very promptly. Our room was very spacious with a small little kitchen (although we didn’t use it at all). There was a sofa that looked really great but wasn’t comfortable. There was a TV in the living room. It also had a refrigerator and freezer below.

The bedroom was not an actual private area but was on the other end and the bed was VERY comfortable. They also use a feather bed underneath above the mattress so it was extra soft. The bedroom had a small little TV as well.

The bathroom had its plusses and minuses. One one hand they used very expensive Carrera marble. I’m a real estate developer so I know the cost of materials and the marble they use is very nice (and expensive). The bathtub was very nice as well and it had a separate shower stall area with Hans Grohe fixtures which are nice. The sink area was a bit cluttered but it was fine and they had a nice assortment of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and they even included a condom in their basket which I’ve never seen in all my hotel stays around the world. Interesting touch! The one part of the bathroom which I didn’t like was the glass door from the bedroom. At night you can’t see it and there is another glass door to the toilet area. There was also a guest toilette/bathroom off the main entrance.

The bathroom however had a problem in this particular room. There was a loud noise that kept coming on all night. It was as if a hammer was tapping against the toilet. I don’t honestly know what it was. The next morning I looked at the toilet to see and it was something within the pipes. I’m not sure if other rooms had this problem but we stayed in room 002 on the ground floor.

Really that was the only complaint/problem we had with the room. It was annoying dealing with that sound. The staff couldn’t have been nicer. I’m not a big fan of Puerto Madero as that area is really desolate at night compared to other areas like Recoleta or Palermo which I prefer but the hotel is nice.

One thing I was a bit surprised about is the valet parking here is expensive. Even more expensive than the USA. They charged us 75 pesos (u$s 24) for parking each day. I found this to be a bit much.

We ate in the restaurant at night and the food was pretty good. The rate I believe included a breakfast buffet but we were lazy and slept in and ordered breakfast in bed.

Personally, for the rates they charge I’d much rather stay in the Park Hyatt Hotel or Four Seasons Hotel in Recoleta (which I’ve stayed at before) or rent a luxury apartment for a fraction of the price. $600 per night for a studio room is a bit much for Buenos Aires standards but if they can get it all the power to them.

• Liked — Spacious room, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Low end TV, noise with toilet/bathroom ..Getting charged u$s 24 for valet parking after spending $600/night
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank saintba
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

I liked the location, the decor was mildly interesting, the food was great. I also liked all the pretty, young and seemingly unattached girls that flock to the bar at night.

I didnt think it was worth the price. I didnt like that the TV remote and switch for the blinds didnt work. I'm not sure the whole "personal concierge" thing works either.

It has the South Beach, Miami feel to it: pretty to look at and a certain edgy excitement, but tries way to hard to be cool. Note to the staff: working in a hotel and wearing a tuxedo doesnt make you important---lighten up.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank cuda153
san francisco, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2008

It gets an A- in my book! Superb and magical experience! My husband and I absolutely loved all the public spaces and overall feel of this hotel. It's ultra hip and you feel so much like a super cool rock star. You just want to hang out here and maybe skip a walking day in Buenos Aires. The location is also fantastic! It's in Puerto Madero....a new development full of hip restaurants just a walk away. At the hotel, the ambience is cool, the people are slick and the overall vibe is tragically chic. Superb service, gorgeous restaurants, delicious food (amazing breakfast included!) and totally hip areas all throughout . People watching is a sport at this hotel. It's too much fun! There is ONLY one thing that i really felt compelled to write about because it drove me nuts. What is up with the bathroom design and the lack of practical storage space in the guestrooms? My husband and I arrived into our room and started unpacking and quickly realized that the closet would barely fit a few of my clothes. My poor husband had to keep his clothes in his suitcase throughout our stay. Before you knew it, our clothes started piling up in the 2 chairs in our room. Our room started looking like a mess after 3 days.The bathroom storage space is very poorly designed. You simply can't have 2 people in there at the same time and barely have room to put your toothbrush in. The sink area is very minimal and there are no drawers or shelves. You definitely need shelves for your toiletries and hooks for your towels and bathrobes. Everytime I got out of the shower, I did not know where to put my clothes, robe or towel. The floor was my only solution. Now can you picture tragically hip people putting their towel and robe on the floor? Nope, I don't think so!!!! So our room always looked like a mess becaus we simply did not have a place to put our stuff. It's one of those minimally designed rooms but soo not practical! With some practical hooks and cleverly placed shelves and drawer additions and perhaps an additional dresser in the rooms, these issues could be easily resolved. The rooms are spacious so there's definitely room for these "practical" additions. Other than that, our experience at Faena was sublime! I soo recommend it!

Stayed March 2008
5 Thank cynbad
Lisboa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

It´s a hotel more adequate for young people.
The staff was numerous but with a lack of experience.
The breakfast was excellent and served at the beautiful decorated "El Mercado".
The rooms were big but the Philipe Starck´s decoration reduced a lot the available space. Nevertheless, the touch of this designer is impressive mainly in the public areas.
We spent three nights at BA and it was short for this lovely city and we recommend at least one more night.
The hotel is located at Puerto Madero, a new area of the city with modern buildings by international architects, very safe and with good restaurants.

• Liked — The breakfast at
  • Disliked — The lack of ilumination at the public areas
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RA55
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

I would agree with some of the complaints about the bathrooms, they are not meant for two people but the other amenities, actual site, decor, room services, service overall, restaurants in the hotel all made up for it.

We spent two weeks in Argentina and just being able to stay at the Faena for 3 nights was the highlight of the trip. If you visit Buenos Aires and don't stay it is worth coming for a drink at the library bar or to take in the tango show. This place is worth seeing & experiencing if you are in Buenos Aires, period. It has a feel like no where else, the attention to design, and uniqueness are unmatched. Also we felt the service from the staff was on par with other world class resorts: e.g. Four Seasons.

Last thing I would say is this is one of the first places we visited where the web site photos don't even do the place justice.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank apathak
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

My wife and I stayed here 15 and 16th Feb. The previous reviews say it all really. Not to everyone's taste (or pocket!). Some of the "designs" are not as practical as they could be - especially in the bathroom. Overall we did like our room, overlooking the pool area and looking towards the city. Although we had our own "experience manager" we never used him - we just called at one of the desks in the lobby area. All the staff we came across were very helpfull and spoke good english - and were very attractive!! (Male and female).

We used their limousine service (Mercedes 320) to meet us from the international airport. Although expensive it worked very well and there was no problem with an early (noon) check-in.

We had only one meal at the hotel. It was our wedding anniversary on the 16th and we decided to dine at El Bistro. It is not a bistro; it is a silver service (and a bit pretentious) restaurant. You get used to the Unicorn heads looking down on you!! While the service was good the food (not large portions) was sometimes disappointing and more Heston than Gordon. I felt that some of the dishes did not work - but it was an experience I would not have missed. Also the wine list appeared quite good but what sommelier would spell Claudy (sic) Bay or include a 1998 Petit Chablis on their list? It is also one, if not THE, most expensive restaurant in BA (see my review of Park Hyatt for good restaurants) £100 for two compared with £60 at other top spots.

We did overhear people say how good the breakfast was, but we prefer to explore and found a great cafe/restaurant less than 4mins. walk away - I Fresh Market - thoroughly recommend this deli/restaurant which is open 8am till late. Very good staff, large servings and fresh ingredients and inexpensive.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and Puerto Madero is a good place to stay: far less busy (in fact very quiet) compared with say Recoleta area, with a large selection of good cafes and restaurants (but very few shops - at the moment). Will be interesting to see this area in 2/3 years time as the Faena group are redeveloping two large sites very near by.

• Liked — Slightly quirky!
  • Disliked — Small design practicalities in the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple