“More history than gastronomy”
Review of Cafe Tortoni

US$249.00*
Private Full-Day Walking Tour in Buenos Aires
Ranked #60 of 795 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous cafe, the oldest in Argentina, features reasonably priced tango shows in its velvet-covered back room.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

As a fixture of the old part of BA, San Telmo, this place is without peer. Virtually totally preserved, many artifacts of old BA society, early tango. Some absolutely FiNE old artwork from some quite well known Argentine artists on the walls. Fascinating!
This cafe is good for snacks. Great chocolate and churros. Sandwiches adequate. Don't expect a culinary marvel, go for the history!
Recommended

1  Thank Danioro

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

A historic café, well preserved and still very interesting to visit. We went a few years ago, I remember the coffee was good, it was a good spot to take an afternoon break from sightseeing.

1  Thank Love-to-travel777815
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We decided not to listen to our guide who warned us against consuming anything in the Tortoni, so we went there for coffee and a fruit salad. Whilst the cafe itself is very nice, with an old flavour, the fruit salad was the worst ever. They actually squeeze the oranges for the juice and then they slice the white bitter outer part and make the fruit salad with that. You can see in my attached picture how much of this stuff was in the first portion of my salad. Except the two banana slices on top, the rest was crap! SHAME ON YOU TORTONI!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

So much history in this classic cafe. You must visit! The churros are perfect and the thick hot chocolate even better! The ham and cheese toasted sandwiches were a fine snack.

We also saw the tango show--it was fine but be sure to go an evening when they have live music.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was born in Buenos Aires. I love this city, because I grew up here and it is very special.
Despite this, I have never had the opportunity to visit this cafe.
I went for the first time with one of my daughters, who is now working in Beijing. She is an architec and will be there six months.
So, I wanted to take in her heart the spirit of the Buenos Aires "cafeterias".
We spent a lovely Sunday afternoon enjoying delicious coffees with milk and "medialunas de manteca" ( my favourite butter croissants).
We didn't see the tango show as we were not interested about it. I consider that there are best tango shows in San Telmo neighbourhood.
Enjoy Buenos Aires, my city!

1  Thank GabrielaBuenosAires