“A Friendly Home Away from Home”
Review of Nuevo Hotel Callao

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Nuevo Hotel Callao
Ranked #338 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A Friendly Home Away from Home”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over a period of years and have found it a very good value place to stay in a very interesting area near Avenida Corrientes with wonderful book and music shops, cafes and theatres. The subte is close but I walk everywhere from Avenida Callao. The family who own the hotel are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is adequate, the rooms well looked after, the bathrooms clean. I will certainly go back to it next time I go to Buenos Aires.

Room Tip: The front rooms face busy Avenida Callao, it is better to get one facing onto Calle Sarmiento.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 1811027Helen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I only spent one night at this hotel and I moved the next day because I had trouble flushing the toilet. It's an old plumbing system and the push button got stuck in the wall. I called the receptionist to send the maintenance man. Next thing, the maid showed up with a knife to fix the problem. She did but just temporarily. At least this hotel has an elevator because on all these old buildings in Buenos Aires you have to climb flights of stairs towing your luggage.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kyle2009
California
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times and can no longer recommend it. Paulina, the breakfast server, is an asset to this hotel. Unfortunately, management has not honored reservations. Foreigners pay much higher room rates than do nationals. Specific room reservations are not honored no matter how far in advance they are made. There is always some excuse of an error having been made. Unless you are a national and are lucky enough to be in a more desirable room, you will pay dearly for a noisey room. My advice is to look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2Bruce
uk
Reviewed 12 October 2007

On arrving at the hotel after supplying them with contact telephone number, e-mail and flight details. We were handed a note by rude receptionist who at first tried to get us to leave as hotel was fully booked, which then explained that in broken English, " flights cancelled so guests unable to leave, re-booked into Hotel Madrid, sorry"

We then had to get a taxi ourselves and pay the further costs to a hotel I had no idea where was located. On arrival it was dire!
disgusting rooms and lobby and in all honesty would have not steyed there even 1 night if not for fact almost every hotel; in area was fully booked not due to flights cancelled but conference and festival on in BA. Makes you think why hotel was suddenly fully booked due to flight cancellations even though I booked 4 months in advance!

In all the hotel was very unhelpfull and when I called to complain the hung up on me!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank eccosse1

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My Husband and I plus two friends also stayed here in April 2007, we found nothing to complain about...Paulina was just lovely and the rest of the staff very accomodating and helpful even with a few language problems..true, it was on a noisy, busy street, ear plugs are a big help though and we could walk everywhere with no problems whatever the time, the subway station was just around the corner and we used that a few times with ease..all in all we all loved Buenos Aires and Hotel Callao and would definately recommend it as a great stay...hope to get back soon.

• Liked — comfortable room with easy access to the small lounge/breakfast room each night to have drinks
  • Disliked — the noisy street
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled with friends
Belfast
Reviewed 24 June 2007

We booked the Nuevo Callao by email for our honeymoon and were told that a double bedded room with balcony had been reserved. On the day we were due to fly into Buenos Aires from Puerto Igazu there was an Aerolineas Argentinas strike so I phoned to tell the hotel that we would not be coming that evening and to ask if it would be possible to keep our reservation for the next night (and the 4 nights after). The man who I spoke to on the phone didn't speak any English, wasn't willing to listen to any of my broken Spanish and simply shouted 'completo' at me despite me giving my name. I thought this was strange and wondered if he had our names down for a room and that the hotel was full (including our reservation).

I emailed the hotel again that night as the emails were answered in good English and the reply stated that yes, there would be a room booked for us the next night. When we arrived the next evening it appeared that the same man was on the desk that I had spoken to the night before. He again shouted 'completo' at us despite attempts at speaking to him in Spanish. He then after some trying by us, looked down his list of reservations, found our name, shook his head and said 'completo' again. He made no attempt to find us another reservation or to book a taxi for us to another hotel and we were left on the street.

It took us 2-3 hours of phonecalls and taxi rides to find another reasonable hotel with rooms free.

• Stayed June 2007
miami beach, fl
Reviewed 23 May 2007

Our stay at the Nuevo Hotel Callao in Buenos Aires was for 11 days in April 2007, it was three of us, so we had a room with a single and a double bed, the room was spotless and even though we had no air conditioning we had no need for it, our room had a ceiling fan and a set of double doors that led to a balcony that could be left open, but we left then close at night because at the time we were there (last part of april) it was cold. The bathroom small but new and very clean. Breakfast included on the price, consisted of crossants and pastries, juice and coffee or cafe con leche, the attendant Paulina very sweet and kind (people leave her a tip if you can, she'll greatly appreciate since she has her husband disable at home and travels every day of the week for an hour and a half by bus just to get there). There is a gentleman named Jose at the front desk that is super friendly and nice, he will go out of his way to help you and give you good info like, how to get there, restaurants close by, ect., Estrella and Martha deserve a mention as well, they will do anything they can to make your stay there as pleasant as possible. Last but not least the hotel is in a great location, a block away from the subte stop and corrientes avenue, a major entertainment throughfare full of theathers and nightlife. The price for three of us was 65.00 dolars per night at the time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family