“Great cheap deal”
Review of Nuevo Hotel Callao

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Nuevo Hotel Callao
Ranked #333 of 445 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Costa Rica
“Great cheap deal”
Reviewed 28 November 2006

I got there early in the morning and found out that the place was a small, cozy hotel with what a lonely traveler is looking for. Clean rooms, nice staff, a breakfast and a great price!!!
So, I highly recomend this hotel.
As many others, I agree that it is a little bit of noise, but, the amazing view and the great location will shut it down.

• Liked — Loaction
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Glorimurillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 28 November 2005

I spent 2 weeks at Hotel Nuevo Callao. I emailed the hotel directly from Victoria, B.C., Canada and I was quoted a room with a double bed for $40 USD a night including tax and breakfast. I was impressed with the price, the picture of the hotel, and the room description. But when I got there, aside from the very small lobby with the view of a garbage bin ouside, I found the elavator to be very small and old-fashioned and you basically have to carry your own luggage. My room was a shock to me because it did not have air conditioning nor a small fridge. These were mentioned on the site. Since I was hitting their spring/summer season, air conditioning is a must. The bathroom had been what you would call remodelled but so small, including the tub and the minuscule sink, on a very narrow ledge. This was supposed to be a double room and how they thought two people could share anything is a mystery to me. But by far, the worst of all worst was the 24 HOUR NOISE, so loud, so in your face that it would be impossible to sleep. Because of the heat, you would need to open the so-called balcony door and if you did, the noise would drawn you. I remember at 4-5 am staring at the ceiling in the dark and thinking how come these people never sleep, and how come so many cars/taxis, buses are still on the road to make so much noise. Since this hotel is located very centrally on a very busy Callao Avenue and in the corner of another avenue (Sarmiento), you would get it no matter which side of the building you are. I honestly did not sleep for the entire time I was there. Also, the sheets on my bed were supposed to be changed daily according to their housekeeping. But I knew after the second day that they were not. So out of curiosity, I put a little X on the corner and found out that my sheets got finally changed on the 4th day of my stay. If you asked for help to book a tour or so, there would not be any help on that aspect either. The very grumpy Mme Martha and an older gentleman at night would literally tell you not to bother them and come back another time. The so called breakfast basically consists of orange juice, coffee, toast, and croissant. I rarely ate breakfast there. Another matter that bothered me was that on many occasions, since I speak 4 languages fluently including Spanish, I heard the reception staff quoting the Spanish speaking people who called the hotel a much much better (lower) rate per night than what I and probably many other non-suspecting North Americans were quoted and were paying. Would I recommend this hotel? In terms of safety, it was fine, since I was a female travelling alone. However, my entire experience at this hotel was 3-4 out of 10. I realize that $40 USD is not a great deal of money if you are American, but it is also not small change for us who also have to convert our money to USD. Anyways, I have to agree that Paulina in the breakfast room is a sweet lady who ended up giving me her address to write to her. Also, Mme Estrella is lovely. Overall, I would say if sleep is important to you, do not choose this hotel. Pay $20 more per night and you would be able to afford hotels that are more than two floors, with rooms on the higher floors, with sound proofing on their windows, etc. Buenos Aires is a safe and great city to visit. I hope this honest review helps you decide where to stay.

• Stayed October 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Reviewed 22 September 2005

Perfect hotel for tango dancers, Paulina is the best to start the day with a lovely breakfast. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 August 2005

My family and I just returned from Argentina, including three separate stays at Hotel Nuevoa Callao in Buenos Aires (we were in and out of the city travelling around and returned to the Nuevo Callao each time). This place is a great value in a great location with a helpful and friendly (though primarily monolingual, except for Estrella and Paolina) staff. That being said, if you are used to the Marriot, well the Nuevo Callao is not the Marriot, but it is in a MUCH better location and for $40-$50 for a triple (booking over the phone from the States and/or using the website brings in a $50 triple, while showing up at the hotel brings in a $114 Argetine Peso, or about $40USD, triple... even though it is listed for higher on the wall in the lobby) with breakfast, this place is a steal. It's near the theatre district, near lots of restaurants, near lots of clubs, within walking distance of many of the best attractions AND the subway system, and in a pretty safe and lively neighborhood. A heads up on the rooms would be this: 1) The rooms along the street are much louder than the ones in the interior (which have limited window space and can be a bit clastrophobic if you're prone to such things); 2) Bathrooms are newish and clean; 3) Cleaning staff is very accomodating vis-a-vis fresh and extra towels, pillows, and the like; 3) Room 110 is a better room than Room 210 if you have three people, and the shower is much better; 4) The two rooms in the turrets (I think they called them "cupolas") are the most attractive, they have a "matrimonial" bed but a small bed can be added, but being on the corner of the street are going to be significantly louder, particularly in the morning rush hour when you are nursing your wounds from that 11:30 PM dinner, 1AM tango, and 3AM clubbing; and 5) As much as the breakfast woman is delightful and kind, and she is both of those things, the breakfast coffee, by the standards set by almost every restaurant and cafe in the area, is not very good (we noticed she was drinking mate, so she may not even like coffee herself). So, going with tea or hot chocolate for desayuno and having a cheap, delicious coffee when you hit the streets might be advisable (depending on your tastes). Unless something changes significantly about the hotel we will certainly stay there in the future. If you don't like the place there are many other hotels of nearly all stripes within 5 minutes walking distance... not a suggestion per se, but that's the full story.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 August 2005

I note from another poster that Paolina's tireless efforts in her smalll kitchen were appreciated and I wholly agree with the sentiment, she was a beacon of smiles throughout our visits. In addition the room was spotlessly clean and pleasantly furnished. We stayed on three separate occasions during the month of november 2003 during a tour of Argentina and on the one occasion that the room had not been prepared (oversight on someone's part) apologies were immediate and genuine.

The hotel is centrally situated, just minutes walking from tube station and entertainments.

I wholeheartedly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed November 2003
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 September 2004

I just returned from a week at Nuevo Hotel Callao and I had a great experience. My room was spotlessly cleaned each day, the coffee/juice/croissant breakfasts were served in a lovely room by the friendly cafetera, Paolina, and the staff went out of their way to ensure that we had what we needed. The hotel is very safe and in a great location for getting around Buenos Aires. Staff doesn't speak much English, so if you don't speak Spanish, bring a dictionary. Also, there is street noise in the outer rooms, so ask for an room on the inner part of the building.

• Stayed August 2004, travelled on business