“Booking problems”
Review of Nuevo Hotel Callao

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Nuevo Hotel Callao
Ranked #326 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 24 June 2007

We booked the Nuevo Callao by email for our honeymoon and were told that a double bedded room with balcony had been reserved. On the day we were due to fly into Buenos Aires from Puerto Igazu there was an Aerolineas Argentinas strike so I phoned to tell the hotel that we would not be coming that evening and to ask if it would be possible to keep our reservation for the next night (and the 4 nights after). The man who I spoke to on the phone didn't speak any English, wasn't willing to listen to any of my broken Spanish and simply shouted 'completo' at me despite me giving my name. I thought this was strange and wondered if he had our names down for a room and that the hotel was full (including our reservation).

I emailed the hotel again that night as the emails were answered in good English and the reply stated that yes, there would be a room booked for us the next night. When we arrived the next evening it appeared that the same man was on the desk that I had spoken to the night before. He again shouted 'completo' at us despite attempts at speaking to him in Spanish. He then after some trying by us, looked down his list of reservations, found our name, shook his head and said 'completo' again. He made no attempt to find us another reservation or to book a taxi for us to another hotel and we were left on the street.

It took us 2-3 hours of phonecalls and taxi rides to find another reasonable hotel with rooms free.

• Stayed: June 2007

Reviewed 23 May 2007

Our stay at the Nuevo Hotel Callao in Buenos Aires was for 11 days in April 2007, it was three of us, so we had a room with a single and a double bed, the room was spotless and even though we had no air conditioning we had no need for it, our room had a ceiling fan and a set of double doors that led to a balcony that could be left open, but we left then close at night because at the time we were there (last part of april) it was cold. The bathroom small but new and very clean. Breakfast included on the price, consisted of crossants and pastries, juice and coffee or cafe con leche, the attendant Paulina very sweet and kind (people leave her a tip if you can, she'll greatly appreciate since she has her husband disable at home and travels every day of the week for an hour and a half by bus just to get there). There is a gentleman named Jose at the front desk that is super friendly and nice, he will go out of his way to help you and give you good info like, how to get there, restaurants close by, ect., Estrella and Martha deserve a mention as well, they will do anything they can to make your stay there as pleasant as possible. Last but not least the hotel is in a great location, a block away from the subte stop and corrientes avenue, a major entertainment throughfare full of theathers and nightlife. The price for three of us was 65.00 dolars per night at the time.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2007

If you are lookin for a great hotel in Buenos Aires, this is it! Firstofall I checked the recommended hotels of this page, but they were more expensive than what i could pay, and a friend recommended me this hotel, so I made tha reservation and I could't be happier about my decition. The afternoon host is very kind and helped us with everything we needed, from the recomendations for going to the football to getting us the reservation for the tango show we wanted. Besides, it's well located and have the best price i could find for a *** hotel

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank altr
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Excellent location for great value. very friendly staff. I had a pleasant stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank w0rldtravler
Reviewed 28 November 2006

I got there early in the morning and found out that the place was a small, cozy hotel with what a lonely traveler is looking for. Clean rooms, nice staff, a breakfast and a great price!!!
So, I highly recomend this hotel.
As many others, I agree that it is a little bit of noise, but, the amazing view and the great location will shut it down.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Glorimurillo
A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria, B.C., Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2005

I spent 2 weeks at Hotel Nuevo Callao. I emailed the hotel directly from Victoria, B.C., Canada and I was quoted a room with a double bed for $40 USD a night including tax and breakfast. I was impressed with the price, the picture of the hotel, and the room description. But when I got there, aside from the very small lobby with the view of a garbage bin ouside, I found the elavator to be very small and old-fashioned and you basically have to carry your own luggage. My room was a shock to me because it did not have air conditioning nor a small fridge. These were mentioned on the site. Since I was hitting their spring/summer season, air conditioning is a must. The bathroom had been what you would call remodelled but so small, including the tub and the minuscule sink, on a very narrow ledge. This was supposed to be a double room and how they thought two people could share anything is a mystery to me. But by far, the worst of all worst was the 24 HOUR NOISE, so loud, so in your face that it would be impossible to sleep. Because of the heat, you would need to open the so-called balcony door and if you did, the noise would drawn you. I remember at 4-5 am staring at the ceiling in the dark and thinking how come these people never sleep, and how come so many cars/taxis, buses are still on the road to make so much noise. Since this hotel is located very centrally on a very busy Callao Avenue and in the corner of another avenue (Sarmiento), you would get it no matter which side of the building you are. I honestly did not sleep for the entire time I was there. Also, the sheets on my bed were supposed to be changed daily according to their housekeeping. But I knew after the second day that they were not. So out of curiosity, I put a little X on the corner and found out that my sheets got finally changed on the 4th day of my stay. If you asked for help to book a tour or so, there would not be any help on that aspect either. The very grumpy Mme Martha and an older gentleman at night would literally tell you not to bother them and come back another time. The so called breakfast basically consists of orange juice, coffee, toast, and croissant. I rarely ate breakfast there. Another matter that bothered me was that on many occasions, since I speak 4 languages fluently including Spanish, I heard the reception staff quoting the Spanish speaking people who called the hotel a much much better (lower) rate per night than what I and probably many other non-suspecting North Americans were quoted and were paying. Would I recommend this hotel? In terms of safety, it was fine, since I was a female travelling alone. However, my entire experience at this hotel was 3-4 out of 10. I realize that $40 USD is not a great deal of money if you are American, but it is also not small change for us who also have to convert our money to USD. Anyways, I have to agree that Paulina in the breakfast room is a sweet lady who ended up giving me her address to write to her. Also, Mme Estrella is lovely. Overall, I would say if sleep is important to you, do not choose this hotel. Pay $20 more per night and you would be able to afford hotels that are more than two floors, with rooms on the higher floors, with sound proofing on their windows, etc. Buenos Aires is a safe and great city to visit. I hope this honest review helps you decide where to stay.

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 September 2005

Perfect hotel for tango dancers, Paulina is the best to start the day with a lovely breakfast. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2005