“Hispano a nice place and I have stayed before and would stay again”
Review of Gran Hotel Hispano

Gran Hotel Hispano
Ranked #209 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 1 December 2008

I have stayed at this property before and would stay again. If you want luxurious soaps and fancy bedding, this probably isn't for you. But if you want a perfectly located place in the center of town with clean rooms, nice staff, free internet, a little breakfast before you head out for a cheap price, this place is for you. The street that it sits on is one of the main avenues so you have access to ATM's, cafe's, pharmacies, the metro, calle Florida, etc. The subway stop a block away gets you to Retiro, the bus station. You can walk to San Telmo, you can walk to Recoletta (it's a bit far but I love to walk). Breakfast is coffee and croissants. The room was fine. No window, but the french doors open to a courtyard atrium that people sit out and have breakfast. I wouldn't mind a window, but it's not a dealbreaker since I generally go out of the hotel all day, not sit in and look out the window. Nobody ever smoked while I was there. The staff were nice and helpful, limited english but they got me where I needed to be. For the price and location, I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Gran Hotel Hispano

Reviewed 28 October 2008

Hotel Hispano is a charming hotel on the Avenida de Mayo right in the heart of Buenos Aires. It's close to everything and that is a big plus. Right next door is the oldest cafe, cafe Tortoni(est. 1858), the oldest metro is right in front of the hotel(Linea A), 500 metres to the right is Parliament, 500m to the left is Avenida de Mayo with the Presidential Palace and even the Obelisk is just around the corner.

But apart from the location, Hotel Hispano has a vibe that brings back old times. Behind the front door and a few stairs(or crappy lift) there is a 3-story galery with rooms. The atmosphere is peaceful and the staff is helpful and know English. After reading this you might think this is an excellent hotel, but not quite.
The rooms are just ordinary, and could do with some renovation. There is no need for a change of style, just a lick of paint here, new carpet there and a change of beds. The breakfast was a little poor(sweet croissants and toast) so with just that little bit of extra effort they could turn this place into a real touristmagnet.

If you are just looking for a bed in Buenos Aires and eat your breakfast out in the city, then this hotel is worth your while. Great location and the setup of the galery has definitally got charm.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2008

Hotel had a good location but beware! The first floor has no air conditioning. It was hot and after trying to sleep in the steamy room I complained and they switched us to the second floor. The room had a/c but it was a dump. Moldy bathroom walls, peeling paint. Not a nice room. The first was 105 and the second was 206. I would not recommend this place. It was the worst hotel that we stayed in in all of Argentina.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2008

This a grand old hotel on Avenida de Mayo only blocks from the Palace. The rooms are clean and recently renovated. Most of the rooms are located around a central atrium but a few of the premium rooms open out on the Avenida with little balconies. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were reasonably priced for the location.

Avenida de Mayo is a busy and noisy street but the courtyard rooms are fairly quiet. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2007

I feel it important to share an incident I recently experienced while staying at one of Lonely Planet's recommended accomodations. I am a college instructor, on a sabbatical and doing research while volunteering in several South American countries.

I chose the Gran Hotel Hispano as my base while visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina in May 2007. The accomodation was very clean and nice, especially for the price; however it should be noted that the air conditioning did not work.

Sebastian, the youngest of several owners, was friendly, spoke fairly good English and was more than happy to help, although he gave me walking directions (2 miles one way) to an English speaking theatre, that did not exist.

On the evening that I was to depart for a tour around the southern tip of Argentina, I went to the hotel door with backpack secured on my back and large suitcase in hand. Sebastian, who was watching the door at the switchboard, told me it was much safer to leave my luggage in the lobby under his watch while I secured a taxi. I figured he knew this large city better than I and left them under his care. I was only outside for approx. 4 minutes, flagged a taxi and returned to the lobby to gather my luggage to discover MY BACKPACK WAS GONE! Sebastian, although extremely distraught, could not recall who had taken it and told me he had only looked down for a moment. He ran outside and up and down the streets with his head in his hands, but to no avail.

All the notes from my prior journies in other countries, my camera, my binoculars, my books, gifts I had purchased for my sons and fiance, several pieces of clothing and all the receipts I had saved for reimbursement from the college, were gone...over $800 worth. Of course, by then, I had missed my bus going south, another $60 down the drain, as Andesmar, a large, well-known luxury bus fleet, would not refund my money. Sebastian encouraged me to file a police report, which I did. The police said the hotel was responsible and that they would gather a report from the hotel by Monday evening. They never followed up on it.

Sebastian had given me the next two nights stay @ $45 per night and a $12 bottle of red wine in compensation, told me he would refund the nights I had just paid for and would allow me to stay when I returned from my journey around Argentina.

The following morning, after having spoken with the senior owners, Sebastian told me the hotel was not responsible for the theft, even though under his watch, and that he did not intend to follow through with promises made. Sebastian quoted a senior partner, "If I told you to jump from a bridge, would you do it?" I believe this was intended to refer to my apparent "stupidity" in trusting his advice and leaving my baggage in the hotel under his watch.

I, of course, have lost all documentation for my colleagues and for the professional development committee. The pictures from Ecuador, reports and gifts were the hardest to let go of.

I felt it important to write to let you know of this incident, as the police report states that the hotel is responsible; however, there is no compensation, should I try to go after it...and I won't...that could possibly alleviate the grief I have experienced over this incident.

How unfortunate that the hotel will not own up to their responsibility in this matter. Others should be made aware of this.

Stayed: May 2007
23  Thank Choosingjoy
Reviewed 1 December 2006

This hotel represents great value. Location is on
on noisy Avenida Mayo. Inside rooms are windowless, with French doors leading to lovely,open common lounging areas. We had rooms 101 and 301, which were larger with a shuttered window leading to a small balcony. Good sized bathrooms. These room experience a lot of noise but were charming. Staff at office speak English. Very helpful and kind. Small garden at back of 2nd floor. Several other pleasant seating areas to lounge and mingle in.Standard continental breakfast.. Enjoyed use of free internet on main floor. Very popular hotel, so book well in advance. Buenos Aires is full of tourists.Hotel appears to putting money into improving quality offered, ie saw new beds being installed in some rooms. Very clean.

Stayed: November 2006
3  Thank Zila01
Reviewed 13 October 2006

We were very lucky to get a room here as it's very popular. But as it turned out we got a very nice little room on the 3rd floor. Many of the rooms seemed to be very dark and don't have windows (no street noise) but if you get one in the centre of the strip either side of the courtyard it is quite light. Very small though, and the bathroom was small too. Free internet a bonus. Breakfast rather boring. Lovely common areas and friendly staff. We rang from Uruguay to get a room when we returned from a few days away but they were fully booked for the next 4 days, so we had to find somewhere else. Great location.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple