“Great experience”

Cuisines: Argentinian
Neighbourhood: Retiro
Neighbourhood: Retiro
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We were staying at the Aspen Towers hotel right down the street and decided to try it since it appeared to be a place more for locals than tourists. Staff hardly speaks English but very eager to help. We were given a menu in English. Empanada appetizers were huge and very tasty with pieces of grilled steak inside. I was able to understand waiter with my limited Spanish and he said one steak order was enough for 2 people and he was correct. One order was 2 steaks about 8oz each and perfectly grilled. Great seasoning and flavor and very tender. Side order of mashed potatoes also very good. Highly recommended for great local experience with great friendly service, good food and reasonable prices.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Restaurant was across street from hotel. Ordered steak dinner. Portions were HUGE. Good quality meat, grilled. Also ordered salad and fries. Also huge portions. Not overly expensive for what you get.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed in the boutique hotel Pulitzer nearby. Naturally I turned to trip advisor to see if there is a typical local restro to try. It closed on a Sunday night, so no luck there, and went back a week later. The Argentines don't start going out to eat until around 8 pm, so when I walk in, it was a bit quiet. The atmosphere picked up soon after, and every table was local or at least Spanish speaing. It is a small place, and it has a large grill in the middle where you can see the chef shuffling the coal and cook your steak. The waiter speaks very little English but very eager to help, and got a chance to practice my Spanish after learning it once a week at night for two terms. There is an English menu, but mysterisly left out the fish section, and if you want to order fish, you have to look at the Spanish menu. The waiter advised that the best is the steak, so even I felt I have been steak out already after 10 days, I ordered a half size tenderloin, which would have been a full portion in DC or England, and bigger than a full portion in France, It was simple, there was nothing added to it apart from the sauce, and they gives you three sauces to choose from. One was the chimichurri sauce, and there is one with olive oil and rosemary herbs, and the third one was chopped tomatoes, onions and olive oil. The side dish's portions are big, I ordered a white rice and a salad, as the waiter suggested, it is big enough for two persons to share. The steak was perfectly done, so often when I ask for medium rare, it was overcooked in Buenos Aires, but not here. Even though the whole restaurant's staff was glued to the TV screen because there is a football match going on. The price is great, my half tenterloin is only 65 peasos. The restaurant also accepts US dollars and it gives you a better exchange rate than the bank, it change at 1 US$ to 6 peasos. In the bank it was around 1 US$ to 4.9 peasos. Though all changes are in local peasos. All in all, I felt I had a real loal parilla experience for a price well worth it. I would not boost the steak as the best I ever taste, I certainly tasted better steak in NY and other places, but that cost 3 or 4 times more. It is not one of those melt in my mouth kind of experience, but it was fun, and decent quality but not exceptional. I would recommend it definitely.

1  Thank Superlegalbabe
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

We were staying around the corner at Gran Hotel BA, and found this restaurant only a short walk away. The atmosphere was fabulously rustic and had the choice of dining upstairs or down. The service was great and was offered an English menu without having to ask.
We were brought complimentary breads with an assortment of salsas which were a delight.
I ordered the steak with champignons snd potatoes and oh my goodness.......the size of the steak was incredible, not to mention the succulent flavour and texture of the meat. I'm from Australia and can honestly say I have never had a piece of steak similar.
Do yourself a favour and hunt out this little gem of a restaurant whilst in BA. :)

Reviewed 10 September 2012

The restaurant is not too fancy; but who cares? the food was FANTASTIC. I had the "bife de lomo a la pimienta" with cheesy potatoes and baked squash... it was to die for!