Babel Suites
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Piedras Suites(Buenos Aires)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Sol Montserrat(Buenos Aires)
  • Room Service
Dazzler San Telmo(Buenos Aires)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfront desksan telmo districtvery nice hotelsuperior roombig roomkitchenettebalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Hotel location is excellent just block and half from the metro bus area (9 de Julio) and few blocks away from Obelisco. Hotel is nice and clean, there is a beautiful breakfast inside and outside huge balcony, breakfast is poor compared to other hotels but is good enough to morning start, The staff are friendly enough to make your stay comfortable, rooms are huge with a little kitchen and reading area and balcony in some of them. One objection I have is the AC which was not working or very light (not good for summer season stay, and make sure you ask about the charges by using hotel phone on the room. Other that than is a very good !!!

Room Tip: All the room are the same size, outside view some to the street (which are little noise) and other are rear city building view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights. Service seems to have improved from previous reviews. They were helpful in setting us up an extra night in the same room. Rooms are big clean with nice bathrooms and a balcony.

Rooms however we're not ready for a couple hours because they were short staffed.

Location is close to many things although surrounding not as nice. Felt safe to walk around though even at night, but there were a few drunk people.

Good value if booked online.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I was one of what appears to be a number of travelers who originally booked Hotel Babel but ended up getting moved to Hotel Babel Suite. In my case, I was notified my reservations were getting moved while I was waiting to board my plane to Buenos Aires.

Hotel Babel Suites is located in a less desirable part of San Telmo, closer to Av 9 de Julio than the weekend San Telmo fair. There are what appear to be residential homes across the street from the hotel and each morning I was awoken by large groups of young men talking and horsing around on the sidewalk across the street. Some of the men would sit around late at night which made me nervious.

Also, I found the front desk attendant either unhelpful or dismissive. Let me give two examples.

When I checked in I realized my room was located next to the elevator. I had a bad experience at another hotel so I immediately asked to be moved. The front desk attendant told me he couldn’t move me without even look at the computer system. I realize they may have been fully booked but considering I was moved from Hotel Babel approximately 12 hours before I checked in this is unlikely. Unless I took the last room in the entire hotel the front desk attendant simply didn’t want to do any extra work.

Later that evening I was thirsty. I went to the front desk and asked where I could buy a bottle of water. He reminded me that there was a bottle of water in my room. I mentioned it caused US$10 and wanted something more affordable. The front desk attendant rolled his eyes and told me there was a drugstore around the corner. I never found the drugstore but did find some bottled water. When I returned with my US$1 bottle of water he smiled and flippantly asked if I found cheaper water.

On the positive side, my room was spacious and clean. Although the rooms are actually quite nice, the forced last minute move, unimpressive hotel location and frustrating issues with the front desk staff you probably want to keep looking.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from Mexico (the street the hotel is on). There are young men who congregate on the sidewalk in the morning that will wake you up.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I've stayed 8 nights in Babel Suites hotel. I have booked a room at the Babel hotel, and once they took my payment from my credit card, I received a mail that there was a problem with my room and that I would be transfered to Babel Suites a few blocks away.
On my arrival the room was not ready till 4 in the afternoon, they told me that they were understaffed. As the room was not ready yet, I wanted to relax a bit at the pool area. There I was sat in one of the chairs, the chair collapsed and my finger got stuck, result a broken finger and I loss of my fingernail.I have send a mail to the manager to explain the situation and to refund all my medical costs. I have never received a mail back from the manager with appolgies, the receptionist just gave me the message that they would refund my costs.
On my way back I was thinking of booking in hotel Babel, because this hotel is better located in San Telmo, and because it's a smaller hotel, only 9 rooms. I was asking 1 of the staff members there if my my presumption was correct that they deliberatly overbook the Babel hotel, with the excuse that there is something wrong with the room, and then transfer you to Babel Suites. The staff member confirmed that my presumption was correct and that this is the management's policy. According to rme this is deceiving people. I have booked another hotel on my return as the staff member confirmed me that on the dates that I wanted there was no room available, and that the hotel would take my reservation and that I would end at Babel Suites again with the same excuse that there were problems with the room.
About Babel Suites again, this hotel is not long open and has a lot of issues to solve. It could be a good hotel, but the management could be much better. The reception and housekeeping staff are very friendly and helpfull, but they are understaffed, only 2 girls to clean 43 rooms, and only 1 receptionist. The rooms are very spacious, but what is the point of having a kitchenette, if you don't have a cooking stove or microwave. The wifi connection in my room was very bad, I had to sit at the door to have only a weak signal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kristien V
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 7 nights while in Buenos Aires. We have very polarized feelings about it, as there are great pros, but also some important cons about it.

Pros:
- Centrally located. A 5 minute walk to a Subte (subway) station and to Av 9 de julio. Close to beautiful San Telmo.

- Great rooms: Beautiful, very clean, modern rooms, very tastefully decorated. Great bathroom with lots of water pressure. Great TV. Lots of storage space. Kitchen sink.

- Very comfortable bed.

- Great breakfast and patio on top floor.

- Friendly staff

Cons:
- Rough neighborhood. We were woken up one morning by a street fight that occured right in front of the hotel where a guy got beaten pretty hard. Enough for 3 police cars to show up. We do believe it was a local dispute and nothing related to tourists though.

In the "Still being broken into" category:

- Our AC unit worked for 2 out of 7 nights. On the 5 nights it didn't, it was HOT in the room, which made our sleep pretty bad. We ended up opening the patio doors for the night, but that came with the (normal) ambient street noises of BA. While friendly, the staff wasn't particulatly useful in getting the problem solved (we told them from day 1 of the problem and they acknowledged it and said they had gotten similar complaints). Hence the poor rating in the "Sleep Quality" category.

- Elevator malfunctions: I got close to being stuck on an elevator (doors opened with a 1 foot gap between elevator floor and building floor). Was told it was a regular occurence due to power drops and that it's not an uncommon occurrence

- Room Service: On 2 occasions, room service wasn't done when we got back to our room at roughly 6PM. On one occasion, the (full) garbage can wasn't emptied.

- Patio doors don't close entirely. This leaves the (normal, albeit still annoying) street noises a path to come in.

I would still recommend this hotel if you get a good rate and have some level of confidence that the problems have been solved (especially AC, and especially if visiting during summer). This hotel has a great potential, but needs to work out some of the major annoyances.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that isn't directly on Mexico street, so that if the AC doesn't work or patio doors don't close properly (a high likelihood based on our experience and that of fellow customers while we were there) you can open the patio door during the night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple