“Just Ok”

Neighbourhood: Montserrat
Sao Paulo
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

It is a good place to rest for a while and take some coffee. Not so great food, other places maybe better.

Visited July 2014

Miami Beach, Florida
“Two course dinner 35 pesos +++”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is one of the many restaurants in the immediate vicinity of my usual Ibis Congreso hotel, for which I posted a review in January 2013.

This restaurant was not on Trip Advisor’s site, but I asked them to add it and the next day it was ready for my review, which I didn’t have time to write until today.

Since I had only slept a couple of hours between Miami and Buenos Aires, and another couple of hours in my hotel that afternoon, I didn’t want to go too far for dinner and I chose this restaurant that Sunday, July 21, because it is at the corner of my hotel and also because it takes AE cards.

I didn’t know then what I learned the next day: if you pay cash, many restaurants will not only accept your dollars but will also give you a far better rate (between 6 and 9 pesos) than the 5.30 pesos that you will get at the bank for each dollar. So I didn’t even think of asking if I could pay in dollars because you will never see such a thing in Europe, where I go most of the time!

Among the dishes they advertised was one of lentils “a la española” with dessert or coffee for 35 pesos. The lentils were good, but not to the point of trading my birthright for them…

The custard was OK, but I wouldn’t sing a Gloria for it, as I did for the one that I had last June 5 at the “Cueva de Antolin” in Alcalá de Henares during my trip to Madrid.

Since there was no drink included in the menu, I had a cup of drinkable red wine at 12 pesos and this brought the total to 47 AR$.

However, in this restaurant, like in many places in Argentina and in Uruguay, they still charge an extra fee for the “servicio de mesa”, as French restaurants used to do half a century ago, when I was a student at the Sorbonne in the 1960s. However, this gracious habit was discontinued over there since the 1970s, forty years ago! So the total came back for 57 pesos with the extra 10 pesos of “table service”, which was converted by the American Express to $10.74 US.

The next day, I would have only paid $7.60 after having a good espresso in a couple of cafeterias and getting 150 pesos for each $20 bill, at 7.50 AR$ per US dollar. Unfortunately, I didn’t know that on my first day.

For more details about this excellent deal, I invite you to read my review of a restaurant called “Chiquilín”, posted in Trip Advisor yesterday, July 26.

• Visited July 2013