“Hipodromo Palermo”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Hipodromo Palermo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Nice place, good restaurant, little expensive. Horse races are the main attraction, but we were there during a Wine Fest / Exhibition

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Carsten G

los angeles
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Classy, beautiful horse races”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I went with my 2 young kids today to the Hippodromo and they had a great time and so did I. It was so much classier than any track that I've been to in the US. It epitomizes the glamour of Buenos Aires at the dawn of the 20th century.

We were able to make really small bets, sit at a comfortable table and have incredible views of the track. There are multiple viewing areas - one that we did not go into requires formal wear. We also did not go into the area with slot machines because kids are not allowed. But, I really appreciated this - easy to get a cab into and out of, at least during the afternoon times..

Visited October 2013
2 Thank arielmc
Oxford, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Looking even better than it used to”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I've been to the Palermo hipodromo several times over the years (20+) and I'm glad to say it is not only wearing well, but looking better than it used to (I'm told the income from slots has been channeled into the racetrack proper - which looks very well clean, well-maintained, and attractive). It's an old Bs As landmark, of course, which attests to the city's rich equine traditions (polo just across the road). Being right in the city, it's easy to get to by taxi or subte and its's free (again, thanks in part to the slots?). That means you can come and go as you like (and the race days are long - 9 races over 5 hours when we went on a Sat.). Being British, I am not a great fan of dirt tracks (for that reason, I prefer the newer San Isidro - turf - racecourse in the city suburbs), but the racing is good, there's plenty of room, the clientele (mostly men, many of a certain age) are enthusiastic and the tote (pari-mutuel) tellers are friendly and helpful.

Visited September 2013
Cairns, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great day out..no entry fee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stumbled onto this on my way to Chinatown...the races were just about to start so I went in & with some help from some locals, in our small amount of understanding, I placed my first bet. The track & surrounds are very clean & they race from mid afternoon til 9 PM ..you can't purchase alcohol there which is a bit of a bummer because I think a beer & bet go hand in hand..come try it.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Brett_Australia1
Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“horseracing and gambling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

You really get close to the scene, not to crowded like other places you can gamble at slotmachines and enjoy enjoy food and more...

Visited January 2013