“Perfect location near underground and walking distance to center of town”

Howard Johnson 9 De Julio Avenue
Ranked #218 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Woudrichem
“Perfect location near underground and walking distance to center of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2008

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 23 days. The location is nearby an underground station and at walking distance from the Obelisk and the Florida shopping street, it offered free guarded underground parking for our rent-a-car. The staff at reception speaks English. All staff are well educated, friendly and polite. Security is strict and gave us a safe feeling in this bustling city. Breakfast is a real treat, soup! every morning, fresh fruit juces and a all sorts of fruits are served. The lunch and dinner at the restaurant are superb. The rooms are small, but comfortable, noise from the 9 julio avenida is well surpressed with double glazing and blinding curtains. Still some traffic noise filters through the windows on the front side. Maintenance is alerted by room maides as soon as repair of curtain rails or light bulbs is needed ( a well known irritator in many hotels) Carpets were shampoo cleaned at least once a week. The owner and the manager of the hotel did everything to make anyone feel a VIP guest. Champagne was served on my birthday. We were surprised to find easter cakes and chocolate easter eggs in our room on the 22nd of March.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — traffic noise in the early morning
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank RobbieDobbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

My husband and I began our Argentine honeymoon adventure at the Grand Boulevard. I had stayed at this hotel the previous year and had a pleasant experience and figured it would be a good way to start our honeymoon. I am glad we did! The hotel is centrally located for exploring San Telmo and Plaza de Mayo. The staff had not turned over much from my previous visit. They were just as pleasant and helpful as last year. The decor in the lobby is dated but I don't really care about that in a hotel. I am mainly concerned with cleanliness. This hotel is very clean and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is large for a BsAs hotel. We really had a lot of options in the morning.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting BsAs who wants a clean comfortable hotel at a GREAT price.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizzChicago
Limerick,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

This is a hotel in a great location, right on the Avenue de Julio. The lobby is a bit dated but the bedrooms are lovely, comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant, including the buffet breakfast, is very good. It is a good base for seeing the sights.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank lizzieholland
Colchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2008

We chose this hotel on the basis of (most) Trip Advisor recommendations – although we almost did not stay there because expedia uk did not make our reservation! It was only fortunate we were visiting in the low season when most Portenos or other visitors leave the city, and they had rooms available.
The hotel is centrally located near the obelisk on Avenida 9 Julio and Belgrano. and has recently been refurbished. (While we stayed there they were remodeling the bar/dining room.) The AC is excellent; there is wifi in the rooms, which is fast; and the hotel offers good value. Yes, some of the rooms may be small but if you pay more you can get a bigger room ie. You get what you pay for.
The staff is excellent, obliging from front desk check to restaurant staff. The front desk staff double as concierge, speak English as well as other languages. This was our second visit to BA after visiting Mendoza and Iguazu a week earlier). The front desk staff provide us with detailed information on the buquebus schedule to Uruguay, called for taxis, which were invariably superior to those hailed on the street, and confirmed our flights back to the UK via Sao Paulo.

Hotel prices (equivalent to $127 + 21% tax) per night include an excellent buffet breakfast – which was actually better than that available at the Hilton, where we stayed for the first part of our visit to Bs As (see our review at Trip Advisor). There was homemade wholemeal bread available, wonderful scrambled egg mixed with cheese and pancetta, as well as lean bacon (not the streaky fatty stuffy available at US hotels eg the Hilton) and meaty sausages.

We will certainly stay there again.

• Liked — The obliging staff and breakfast
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank JohnEO
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

We spent the Christmas Holiday in Buenos Aires and stayed at the Grand Boulevard.

Our twin room was very comfortable and had everything that we wanted. Although our room faced Avenida 4 de julio, the street noise was not a problem.

After 2 nights we upgraded to a suite for a minimal fee and found the suites to be very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom shower/jacuzzi combo was a treat!!!

Each morning we had a complementary buffet breakfast which included many options. The 1st floor of the hotel has a full service restaurant/bar named "Petit Rue" that is open 24 hours/7 days a week. We met the nicest employee , Gabriel, who works the midnight-7a.m. shift.
Also in the same area are 4 computers with internet access, free to hotel guests.

About 1/2 block from the front of the hotel is the Moreno "Subte" ( Metro) stop.
The Subte is very easy to navigate and extremely inexpensive. The cabs are extremely reasonable as well.

All of the employees that we met were very professional and courteous. They went out of their way to accomodate us.

• Liked — Frienly staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Luv2Fly2Madrid3
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2007

I booked this hotel with a friend after reading all the wonderful reviews on the internet. The hotel is on the small side but it really makes no difference except when it comes to the rooms. The rooms are tiny and the walls are a bit thin making it difficult to relax if you want to stay in the room a lot. The subté (Buenos Aires' underground rail system) actually runs under the hotel and can be heard on the lower floors. I only heard it though when I would use the business center on the first floor (one above the lobby).

The staff is incredibly friendly and amazingly helpful.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank CityGuy07052
Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

This is the preferred hotel for my company and because of this I did the booking. I arrived and they gave me a room facing out onto the main road and next to the lifts – room 401 to be exact.
The problem is this is a noisy room – road noise such as buses and emergency vehicles pass by the hotel on a regular basis. The windows are double glazed but it doesn’t stop the noise.
The lift next to my room was like living next to train tracks– also on every stop it has a bell or “ding” which was loud enough to wake me– no matter whether the lift stopped between the ground floor and the 11th floor I could hear the “ding”.
Sound insulation between rooms is very bad – I could clearly hear the TV in the room next door.

I asked to be moved and they said their were no rooms – they have 80 rooms and they didn’t have any other rooms. I offered to pay to upgrade to a suite and the same story – they could move me in 4 days time. I don’t buy it . Next morning after breakfast I asked again if I could be moved but same response. I commented there must be people arriving today and they concurred, so there must be some vacant rooms after 2.00pm – this threw the staff and they just responded that all rooms were reserved. Just laziness. I got so annoyed I checked out and went to another hotel.

The fridge in the room was locked up but a call to reception had it unlocked.

The room they gave me was very small.

Bad points – noisy, unhelpful staff, small room.

Good points – the heating was good. The internet was fast but you have to ask the reception for an access code. Good carpet and nice bed. Good shower, Good Breakfast.

Room was US$108 plus 21% VAT =ARS393/night

• Liked — Fast internet, good heating
  • Disliked — Noisy, unable to change rooms, unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business