“I'm in a good mood, so I'll give it 5 stars :-)”

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
Ranked #13 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 6 January 2014

One of my New Year's resolutions is to be easier to please. In that spirit, I will give this hotel 5 stars (even though it's more like 4 1/2...sorry, that's the old me talking)

PROS:
*Fantastic location in the upscale Recoleta district. Think Rodeo Drive, Upper East Side, Worth Avenue. Clean, safe and centrally located neighborhood.

*The rooms are a nice size. We had a deluxe balcony which was rather large. A cushion would have been nice on the hard teak chair. Walk-in closet. Large bathroom. Rain shower.

*The hotel and grounds are beautiful and well appointed and maintained. The staff is extremely pleasant and lucky for us, spoke beautiful English.

*Pilar escorted us to our rooms and was lovely. Costanza at the concierge desk spent a lot of time helping us score very last minute New Year's Eve reservations. The front desk clerks were very helpful, especially upon check out. Thanks!

CONS:
* The service is consistently named the best in S. America. With no disrespect, it is not quite up to the standards I have experienced in other parts of the world. For example, the concierge booked us on a roundtrip ferry to Colonia, Uruguay. He reminded us to bring our passports , which we did. He did not tell us we would also need our reciprocity paperwork to re-enter Argentina (even though we had the passport stamped that we had paid the fee) We were almost prevented from returning to Argentina on the ferry. We had to find a computer and a printer at the ferry terminal in Colonia. Very stressful. The manager personally apologized. All is forgiven :-)

*Some nights we had turndown service, some nights we didn't. The grapes on New Year's were a nice authentic touch.

I would certainly recommend this hotel. I believe it's the best choice in BA.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony!! It's worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa K
PDParkHyattBA, General Manager at Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your feedback about your recent stay and for recommending Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires.

I will let Pilar and Constanza know your positive comments about them at this wonderful review.

It is an honor to get to know you considered our staff as “extremely pleasant”.

I have also well noted your comments on the turndown service and the inconvenience with the reciprocity paper. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment this may have caused you. I would like to assure you our team constantly strives to achieve the highest level of service.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best regards,

Philippe Frey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,005)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

After two weeks in Patagonia, we spent one night in this expensive (approx. $700 per night w/ breakfast) hotel in the Recoleta section of B.A. The location is about a 15 minute walk from La Recoleta cemetery (many famous people buried there) and is in a lovely upscale section of B.A. With the hotel, however, we were not impressed. It was decidedly underwhelming in many respects. We arrived late afternoon and checked into the "new tower". The other tower seems to be better, though we didn't see the rooms in the other tower. The new tower check in area is on Posadas Street. The check in area is noisy -- hard to hear, no carpeting, every noise magnified -- there were lots of people and activity as we were checking in. Although the check in clerk, Magdelena, was lovely and polite, and helpful, we were unable to get our keys to work in the room after 2 tries. While the staff was trying to figure out how to get our keys to work, we left our stuff in the room and went for a walk before nightfall. At night, my wife and I found the room very warm, and despite setting the thermostat on the coldest setting possible, it did not get any cooler at night. The room was complicated and had a strange layout. It had a myriad of switches and lights, but it was difficult to figure out which switches worked with which light. The bathroom was small by our standards; it had only one vanity. On the plus side, there was an in-room safe that had outlets inside the safe so that you could connect and charge various electronic device while the devices were inside the safe. I've never seen that before -- maybe that's why the room was so expensive. The concierge service, however, was top-notch. While we were in Patagonia, we emailed the concierge who booked us on a tour of B.A. the afternoon of January 2. The tour and guide were excellent. The concierge also booked us at a local eatery, only 2 blocks away from the hotel, called "Fervor" for dinner on January 1. We highly recommend this restaurant. On the evening / night of January 1, we ate at Fervor. We returned to the room about 11 pm (having been out for 3 hours) and surprisingly, threre was no turn-down service. The room had not been made up; the towels were still wet from earlier showers, the bed had not been made, etc. Breakfast on the morning of January 2, which was included, was OK, but the service was average. The buffet was beautifully laid out. We had a 9:30 pm flight out of B.A. on January 2 and initially we were told by one of the front desk clerks (not Magdelena) that it would cost us an extra $300 to check out late on January 2, i.e., to hold the room until 6 pm. We decided instead to store our luggage with the bellhops while we were on our tour of B.A. That was the right decision. There are better ways to spend $300 than to get to spend an extra 4 hours in a sub-par, expensive room. I would not stay in this place again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Balsher
PDParkHyattBA, General Manager at Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time off your busy schedule to review Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your detailed feedback on our customer service and guestrooms. While we are sorry to hear about your experience, please be assured that your valuable comments are highly regarded and actions will be taken to address continuous improvements.

I would like to assure you that we constantly strive to achieve the highest level of service and I truly regret that we fell short of our goal with you.

I truly hope that you will give us an upcoming opportunity to be of your service and have the opportunity to improve your experience at our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Not the best Park Hyatt in which we have stayed. The three night stay was in a room in the new tower, which room was great for one - but tight for two. There was no second lounge chair, no separate vanity desk with mirror, only one basin in the bathroom, etc. An exceptional hotel by many standards but not by Park Hyatt standards. The hotel bridges a city block between two parallel streets, with some bars and facilities in the new tower and some in the old palacio. The restaurants are among the best in town, the location exceptionally convenient for tourism and business, and the prices way at the top of the range.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 22club58
PDParkHyattBA, Manager at Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires for your recent visit to Buenos Aires.

I would like to assure you that we work daily to achieve the highest level of service following our standards and our call for serving authentic hospitality.

I truly regret that we fell short of our goal with you. We will take this review in consideration to improve for a future opportunity.

Your sincerely,

Pilar Pose
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed there for 6 nights and left on Dec 31st. This hotel is a true paradise. The staff is courteous, welcoming and just plain amazing. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It truly deserves more than 5 stars and definitely worth every penny. It's located in the best neighborhood of Buenos Aires, Recoletta. It's a beautiful area with cafés, restaurants, markets, shopping mall and 5 minutes away from the famous Recoleta cemetery. Recoleta is a very safe neighborhood to take a midnight stroll or have late dinner at one of the restaurants. Would love to come back. I really didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires and for your thoughtful feedback.

It is my pleasure to find out you appreciated the service provided by our Staff, that each day hardly work for enhancing the art of authentic hospitality. It is an honor to discover you consider us as the best hotel you have ever stayed in.

We look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Enjoyed my stay very much. Had a corner suite with a sitting room, bedroom and large bathroom/closet area; it felt spacious and had great furnishings. It was very quiet and comfortable in the room. The outside garden area was very pretty and I loved the older section of the hotel also. My meals in the restaurant were fine, with friendly and helpful employees everywhere in the hotel. The one annoyance happened in the beginning when I had to wait for a room for quite a while after a very long flight. That was the only negative and it was quickly erased after I checked in and later experienced the good service that the team provides in this hotel. I went on some hotel arranged outings and they were all very enjoyable and well done. November was a good weather month to visit! Beautiful purple Jacaranda trees in bloom!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires for your recent visit to our beautiful city.

It is my pleasure to know you enjoyed our hotel and its features. Your comments are very much appreciated and I will personally share them with our team. Thank you for considering us a an “excellent" hotel!

We look for forward to receiving and serving you in a near future.

Your sincerely,

Pilar Pose
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for NYE and had a great time. The hotel grounds are gorgeous and the staff are friendly. We stayed in an executive suite which was massive. There was a patio and an office in the suite. The hotel bar is small but quaint. There's a bar near by called Milion...go if you can, much better bar. The gym was modern, clean and big enough for the many travelers staying in the hotel at the same time as us. The concierge was marginal, but not the best service we've seen. The check-in staff were nice and welcoming. They have an art gallery in the hotel that's interesting. The indoor pool was clean. If you're looking to visit Palermo, the cab ride was only about 40-50 pesos (so $5-6USD). There was a little bit of construction noise during our stay, but otherwise a good stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PDParkHyattBA, General Manager at Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires and for your attentive feedback.

We very much appreciate your comments and we are pleased to discover that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for defining our staff as “friendly”. We will share your comments with them, that each day honors the art of detail.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Had a mix up during check-in. However after we informed the customer service team, they changed our room the next day and sent us some sparkling wine and chocolates. Very efficient and good redemption once any mistakes were pointed out.
What I didn't realize was that in the original "palace" part of the building there are only 24 rooms. So most of the guests will be staying at the modern part of the hotel across the garden, which has around 100 rooms.
Had a very long New Years Day lunch in dining room over looking the garden. Classical music playing with a glorious view. So beautiful.
The rooms that we had were nice, but nothing special. You could be in a Park Hyatt anywhere in the world. The 2nd room that we spent 3 nights in overlooks this big tree with a partial view of the garden. It felt like we were in a modern tree house.
Staff were very attentive in general. There were one or two that were quite snobby thus the problem at check-in. Mistakes happen I guess. Overall still really enjoyed our stay and would recommend.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Lee L

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

It is my pleasure to discover that, after the inconvenience at the check-in, you had a memorable stay while you enjoyed the features of our property. I will share your comments with our Staff, and I am certain that they will be more than pleased.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,