“Amor de Porteño”

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
Ranked #11 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Service Experiences
What a great way to kick off our Trans Argentina tour. We took a remise from the Ezeiza Airport to the Palacio Duhau instructing the driver to take us to the Park Hyatt Hotel. Note to self, for a grander entrance, insist that the driver drops you off on Avenida Alvear rather than Posadas. Not that the service is any less, but from the Alvear entrance, you will get a real feel of why this place called a "palacio". But digress...

We were welcomed by very efficient and courteous staff. Introduced to our butler, Guadalupe took us around the hotel to see it's amenities, facilities and a short history of the palacio before it became a hotel. Very impressive indeed!

The Rooms
After the "tour", we were led to into our suite! Modern interiors in earth tones, modern toilet with a walk in shower, a separate bath for two people, and a walk in water closet. We were in awe. This place is worth every single cent.

We later on found out that we were actually upgraded from park king to park suite palace building... how fantastic was that!

Location and amenities
Located in the Recoleta area, this area was ideal for my husband and I. It's located in the more quiet part of Buenos Aires, away from the the main tourist drags and yet everything is close by.

We had coffee and petit fours at their cafe on the terrace outside the Piano Nobile Salon. And on a very sunny day, we soaked in the sun and enjoyed the garden below.

Best and Least
Least pleasant experience... well we were kindly being taken through the hotel by Guadalupe and she was mid sentence explaining something about the Vinoteca when this rude lady interrupted her by taking her aside, talking down to her about something and didn't even offer any apologies or excuses for the interruption. Clearly this lady was a hotel employee so I was quite surprised that the rules of hospitality and customer service didn't apply to her.

In any case, Guadalupe and the rest of the staff saved the rest of our stay. The service was fantastic! We had just come back from dinner in Palermo and lo and behold... rose petals were scattered on the bed, rose petals on the bath tub, candles, strawberries dipped in chocolate on a corner table next to the reading chair and a note from Guadalupe and the staff congratulating us on the occasion of our 10th wedding anniversary.

Is it just me or are all the tall Porteños in this city working at this hotel? Very strapping young lads who were always ready to help, open a door, stop traffic to waive a cab, take down the cab's details for your security, flash a million dollar smile and wish you a good day.

2  Thank beentherebeenthat

Reviewed 3 November 2009

Let's start saying I'm not a chain-hotel aficionado (hence, the Hyatts, Sheratons, Radissons...of this world) but since I got a bunch of points and taking advantage of a leisure trip to Buenos Aires, I decided not to look around and book this hotel: best decision ever

It is true the rack rates are expensive, but boy, the hotel deserves it. We got an upgrade to an attic room, spacious and with two bathrooms. Everuthing well designed, clean and with exquisite taste.

The service was perfect: attentive -even too much-, helping us in every area demanded and booking some activities.

Breakfast: astonishing. Spa and pool: simply perfect

Ambiance: chic and exclusive

In a nutshell, a 10/10 stay

2  Thank Beltran S
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Beautiful hotel with impeccable service. Great location, within walking distance to Recoleta Cemetary, shopping on Calle Florida and some of the cities best restaurants. Can't think of a better place to stay!

Reviewed 22 October 2009

We are normally Hilton, Marriott etc types - but we decided to splurge for our 20th anniversary and now we really know how the other half lives (and I want to try that in my next life). From arrival to departure it was an exercise in stupendous service and a wonderful experience. We only stayed two nights...I wish it had been more. We were given an upgraded room and everything was really thought out - the power source in the safe to charge up your laptop while it was in there to the wonderful linens and great bathrooms. For our anniversary, they sent up sparkling wine and had rose petals on the bed - what a special touch. The Palace itself is a great piece of architecture and Hyatt has done their best to preserve the important parts of history. We had afternoon tea - I highly recommend this indulgence. Without a doubt, I must give the highest marks to Andrea - the Maitre Fromage - as the cheese experience was really top notch. *management staff...she is a real keeper*. She created two phenomenal cheese experiences - with a tomato confit that was to die for. All the cheese are housed in their own cheese room - adjacent to all the phenomenal wines they have available. The cheeses are all from Argentina...so even a more special local foodie exploration. From the bellman, to the front desk, to the maid service, to the restaurant staff - all other hotels should set their standard based on this hotel. Only two really minor slip ups...a reservation made for the wrong night - when I specifically stated tomorrow night twice and a confusion over gold passport benefits (tea or coffee or juice) They rectified the gold passport very fairly. The use of computer (FREE) in the business center is a real plus - and the bus center has long hours.
I will treasure our stay and remember our anniversary fondly.

1  Thank nancyesca
Reviewed 16 October 2009

What a fantastic hotel! I’m such a Hyatt convert. We stayed in the new wing of the hotel which has the benefit of looking out onto the much prettier original building, a ‘palace’ or chateau to the European mind. In short, our suite was amazing and exceeded expectation in every way. Free bottled water was a bonus. The staff was simply wonderful – helpful, courteous and kind throughout our stay.

I thought the food in the restaurant was terrific value – I had probably the best steak I’ve ever had from the all day menu on the Terrace. And it cost £13, which I think is an amazing price for such a great, well-sized dinner in such plush surroundings. The Palacio Lemonade was delicious also. On another night we ate at the Gioia which was excellent. For pudding we had the Dessert Buffet (which I recognised immediately from my dreams). It was all fabulous. This course cost an equivalent of £6 each, but they only charged my partner and I £6 in total because “we didn’t eat very much” – they clearly weren’t looking hard enough.

Before I went, I noticed someone on Tripadvisor say that the hotel has no character. I genuinely can't understand this criticism. For me, both and hotel and the individual members of staff had very distinct personalities. The old building is quite beautful and has been wonderfully preserved. And the staff still stand out in my find. Our young butler was clearly genuinely passionate about the history and architecture of the local area - she knew just as much about the next door Vatican embassy palace as she did about the Hyatt buildings. From my experience there, I think it does the workers there a great disservice to suggest that they are all just identikit Hyatt emploees.

There was nothing about the hotel that did not impress. The swimming pool is beautiful and was empty whenever we were there. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the spa. The location of the hotel is also excellent. Overall, if and when I return to Buenos Aires I will most certainly be staying at the Hyatt. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 29 September 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 7 days (Sept 20-26). It is so great to travel and have an excellent place to stay. We were pampered and felt like having a butler but not seeing one. We will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Staff was very helpful in every way especailly the concierge. We cannot think of any negative comment about this hotel. It was our first time to visit Buenos Aires and when we comeback, we will definitely stay at Hyatt. We travel regularly and are Marriott regulars but this time we decided to stay at Hyatt because of the location. We were not disappointed. It exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank donsmokey
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I just went back from 3 nights at Park Hyatt , the hotel is very beautiful with an exceptional service, locate in recoleta's heart walking distance to several stores and restaurants, very central
The sauna overlooking the jacuzzi and Spa are really nice, the only thing that was difficult to me was to get familiar with the light controls in the room , not easy, I had a problem with the hot water in my room in my first night and five minutes later I received a call from the manager offering a upgrade to Park suite, after i arrived in the suite he send a bottle of wine with some nuts, this hotel as a very high level of service, always someone to open the door , to carry your stuff , in my opinion is as good as Alvear where I use to stay

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends