“Good value for what you get - beware of construction noise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Suites

Art Suites
Ranked #126 of 450 Hotels in Buenos Aires
California
“Good value for what you get - beware of construction noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

We stayed in an Art Suites apartment twice in Dec 2009 on our way through BA and then again when we were there for several nights to see the city. We are a family of two adults and two kids ages 8 and 10. We found Art Suites to be accurately represented in the TripAdvisor reviews. It's a basic apartment, in a good location, with lots of amenities nearby. It's not fancy, and not as nice as the pics on their website, but it is a good option when you need a bit more room and don't want to pay for two hotel rooms. Thus, I'd say it's a good value.

Only unexpected issues were that the Internet connection was very spotty and slow, and there was some construction being done in the building next door. This led to very, very loud banging on the walls. After being truly disturbed by this one day, we tried to be out of the place during the allowed construction times. That worked pretty well. I'd be sure to check with the hotel about the contruction issues before you book with them as that was over a month ago now.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

I booked into Art Suites for 4 nights in early January 2010 with my girlfriend. We had booked this based heavily on tripadvisor recommendations. After spending over three weeks riding our motorcycles through Chile and Argentina we thought spending time in a two bedroom "premium" apartment would be a great way to finish off our trip. Through our month in Argentina we stayed in everything from 0 stars to 5 stars and everything in between (including our tent). The Art Suites was our final destination before heading back to Canada.

Here are my notes:
1) As many people have mentioned in their reviews the furniture is a bit worn. Yes it certainly is! Being worn out certainly does not make it charming - instead it makes it look run down. This is augmented by the fact that the appliances and fixtures are all chipped and haggard looking giving the place a feel of desperation. The harsh fluorescent lighting in the bathrooms and kitchens is also so cheap and awful we almost decided to use our headlamps. It is in major need of an upgrade.

2) Internet access is basically zero. They have some wireless routers on a few of the floors and ocassionally my iPhone could pick up a faint signal. In this day and age I communicate on email, read reviews, look up maps, and use Skype on a regular basis. To not provide adequate Internet service in a city where there is WiFi in every restaurant and cafe is unacceptable. I went to complain about it and they offered to let me use their 1990s era computer to check my email. I tried to let the Internet browser load for about 3 minutes before I gave up in desperation.

3) To be honest they run the place on the cheap. We rented the two bedroom apartment even though we were only using one room. As mentioned before we wanted some room to spread out our gear and relax. Since we had two bathrooms my girlfriend set up shop in one and myself in the other. When the cleaning staff noted that only one bedroom was in use they constantly kept on removing the towels from her bathroom so they would only have to clean one. It was appalling.

4) On walking into the apartment it simply was not clean. It had a terrible odour which we finally got rid of by keeping the balcony doors open for a many hours. The bathroom was not clean with hairs all over the place. Definitely did not win any awards for first impessions. When I opened the door to the balcony the handle simply broke off. Of course I went down and told the front desk but they still took a few days to get it fixed.

5) The front desk staff were lovely, I can not fault them on that. But do not expect them to know anything outside of the immediate area where the hotel is located. My girlfriend and I are big foodies and were interested in some of the better restaurants in the city. The staff had no idea about them, we had to handle these bookings ourselves.

My girlfriend and I discussed how we would write this hotel up on Tripadvisor many times. We had great expectations for Art Suites and were unfortunately dissapointed. For the life of us we don't understand how this hotel has garnered so many positive reviews. If you are set on needing an apartment and don't mind a little dirt, run down furniture, fluorescent lighting in some rooms, aging and dated appliances - then this is the place for you. If you are looking for something modern, nice and clean you might want to consider elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fuzzyfruit
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

We arrived at Art Suites on the 28th Dec for 9 evenings. after travelling for 2 weeks and moving every two days, it was a welcome surprise that 7a was so spacious, clean and modern and yes we had a functional kitchen to cook for ourselves.
We loved the location, cheap taxis to anywhere, walk to great shopping.
Small average cafe's and restaurants close by, very inexpensive.
Subway to Plaza DE Mayo was a couple of blocks away as was bus to La Boca area.
Special thanks to Herman (front desk) for his advise, restaurant bookings and general help it getting us around.
It was also a lovely surprise to have coffee, juice and croissants delivered every morning, even the day we left. There is a small supermarket is next door and a huge one 2 blocks away.

• Stayed January 2010
Pembroke Pines,FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Last year ,my family and I visited Buenos Aires for the first time in over ten years.I had lived in the city,so I knew that Recoleta was the place where I wanted to stay.The reservation for a premium apartment was made over the phone.The 2 bdr/2bath apartment is very big for Buenos Aires standards.We were 4 adults and 2 kids ,and we found it to be very spacious and comfortable.It has a master bedroom with an in-suite bath,a living room,a desk,another bedroom with separate bath and the kitchen,which comes very handy when you are traveling with little kids.Breakfast is great and you just have to call reception before 10:00 AM to have it delivered to your apartment.The only problem that I saw is that there is just 1 TV set ,which is from the early 90's,and is in the living room.My opinion is that if you are charging customers over 250 dollars per day,at least you should have decent appliances ,according to your high rates.Flat panel Tvs should not be a bad idea.That is why I think the place is overpriced,because things are outdated ,according to my standars.Besides that,everything else is fine,great location,safe,good breakfast and helpful staff.I woul stay there again If i visit Buenos Aires in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

After reading comments on trip advisor we decided to stay at Art Suites and we had no problems whatsoever. This is not a hotel but for us it was better than a hotel. The rooms were spotless, the furniture was a little worn about like my own house, not a problem at all. We stayed on the third floor which had a much bigger balcony than the apartments above us. We stayed on the back side which was very quite.

The breakfast was always on time and just right for us. If your a big eater you would need more fuel. We bought cereal, milk and some bananas to go along with ours when we needed a little more to eat.

We had the hotel pick us up and take us back to the airport, this is about 15 dollars more but was worth it. After arriving at Art Suites you just pay them in US dollars. This saves you from needing to get money for a taxis at the airport. I don't know if this is always the case but there was a long line to exchange money. We walked up to the front of the line to check and the bank was closing. We found three ATM's and only one was working. I think for piece of mind let them pick you up and wait until you can go to the bank close to the hotel for money. Just my opinion.

There is a small store right next door and a very large store about three blocks away to buy all your food and drinks. The bank we used is right around the corner from the larger store.

Everyone at Art Suites that we came in contact with spoke English and answered all our questions. They will help you out with places to eat, where the banks are located, they will call taxis for you and will go out and tell the drivers where your going if you don't speak Spanish.

I could go on and on but I'm probably rambling so if you need any questions answered about Art Suites or the surrounding area just email and I will help you out.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

I spent three nights last weekend at Art Suites. All the staffs there are very friendly and taking care of guest very nicely. Most of the staffs speak very good English and helpful. Thanks to Manuel, the gate keeper, for numbers of suggestions for tourists. Very, very helpful and heads-up for any potential risks.

I got Executive Suite, room 9B, which is 1BR suite. The room is very spacious and spotlessly clean. It's not very new but nicely maintained, very comfortable. Kitchen is equipped with kettles, pots and pans with dishes and silverware, so I could make my own Cafe con Leche (milk coffee) whenever I wish. Beverages, snacks and daily products are easily found at supermarket on the other side of the street or glossary store next to the hotel.
Breakfast was brought to the room every morning. I requested the milk hot even a microwave is equipped in the kitchen, but they did it for me anyway. The continental breakfast, a pot of coffee and two croissants, was very appropriate because the dinner there was always late and big portions.
There are very good restaurants in walking distance. For example, Granda Bistro is a nice and cozy French cuisine where is block and half away from the hotel, great steak grill Lodi Bar was several blocks away where serves traditional and superb steaks at reasonable prices.

One thing I experienced on negative side was a speed of the Internet connection. Both Wi-Fi and CAT5E connections were not speedy enough for browsing US websites. Not a big deal for me though.

It was a season of jacaranda blossoms. Buenos Aires is beautifully colored with those lavender flowers everywhere. I will be booking next year's flight soon, and book Art Suites again. Thank you again for the great hospitality!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank koba-sf
Marin County CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

We stayed at the Art Suites Hotel after mistakenly booking into the Art Hotel which is just up the street. While the Art Hotel was charming albeit more expensive the room was tiny and my boyfriend is a big guy so we moved onto the Art Suites. We were pleasantly surprised that the room was actually a small apartment with a desk, couch, small kitchen, balcony and separate bedroom. We had SPACE!! The location was fabulous and central. It was quiet and safe too. We could walk to most sites from the hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The price was $120 US per night, cheaper than the smaller place we had stayed in prior so we were happy with that. The apartment was clean and tidy. A continental breakfast was brought to our door every morning, what a treat. There is a grocery store right next store so we were able to buy wine, water and snacks for our room. There are also various restaurants within walking distance. You can't go wrong with this hotel/ aparment in my book.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple