All reviewsrooftop bargreat locationcommon areaswifi signalnice place to staysan telmowithin walking distancecroissantsshowersubwayfloor
Reviewed 9 May 2016

I've been in this hostel for several times, and I never get tired of it!!
The breakfast is really tasty, and the view from the terrace (where at night Gaby runs the Roof Bar) it's one of the best in the whole city... With a laidback vibe, it's a great spot to grab a beer or two, and meet travellers from all around the world!
For people that usually travel alone which is my case, there are plenty of activities to do like Tango Lessons, Mate Tasting, Walking Tours, Live Music, and others, so it's hard to get bored. The staff is welcoming and friendly, they always throw cool tips about the city, bars and restaurants.
I think I couldn't ask for more!!

Room Tip: The 4 bed ensuite dorms have balcony!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank martins_jp
Reviewed 8 April 2016

The location is great, the atomosphere is great for meeting people. I like the look of common places. But the rooms are bad. Really run down. I got a 4 bed ensuite, and after a 5 min shower, realise the water flooded into the bedroom. Poor drainage, and leaky seams. Not to mention its so small you can't turn much in the shower. COmplained to the staff about changing rooms, and the first response was how come no one complained before? Seriously not impressed. After inspecting the flood,he moved me to another room, which was much spacious, no leaks, but still run down. Locker door was broken too. Saw some dead cockroaches on the floor. No lock in the bathroom for a mixed dorm! Some advertised tours were unavailable, which were through other hostels. I moved after 2 nights, for the price there are much better.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Alice F
Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed for four nights with a friend in a private room. Facilities were ok and on average pretty clean and the rooftop terrace was nice. However, have to say we were left confused by the service more than once.

Different people at the reception would tell us different things (e.g. about how to book & pay a late checkout), sometimes ending up in quite confusing situations (e.g. hearing that one of them had booked us a late checkout for the day before our checkout).

Also, we had a small window high up in the room which was open as we came letting a lot of traffic noise in very early in the morning. After asking help for four times on three days ended up moving the furniture and climbing up there quite dangerously in the middle of the night as annoyed enough after waking up once again.

In an unfortunate addition, we felt like left with very little support after my friends backbag got stolen during a tour to a football match booked by the hostel. We followed all the guidelines of the tour organizer by leaving the bag in the tour bus, which they eventually left unattended (after saying they wouldnt), and the bus got breaken into. I understand these things sometimes happen, and am of course not blaiming Portal del Sur for the accident, but would have appreciated a bit smoother handling so that we didnt need to spend hours and hours trying to solve the matter on our own.

In conclusion, an average hostel with no great flaws as far as no extra issues need to be sorted out. Service definitely could be a bit more efficient.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2016

I stayed in room 407 for 2 nights a few days ago. Realized only after I left that I had bed bug bites all over. I read the review from early January about bed bugs but thought I would just check the mattress when I see the room. I did and didn't see anything so I thought maybe I'd be in the clear. Lesson learned- just don't risk it. This was my last stop before going back home, so thankfully I can take care of the problem now before it gets worse. Maybe the other rooms are fine, but I would definitely ask them about it before booking a room. Bed bugs just suck to deal with. Better to stay safe.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Portal d, Gerente at Portal del Sur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2016

We’re very sorry about what happened and we’re kind of sad cause during your stay here nobody tell us about it, so we could help you out with your bites and change you to a brand clean room.

The truth is that this happens cause we have travellers from all around the world. This type of bugs are very hard to find in Argentina, and they usually get on the backpacks or shoes and that’s how they migrate. We even know that they can spread from one bag to another one in the trunk of a plane.

Honestly, we really care about this subject, every week we schedule some procedures to mitigate and for detection. We fumigate all rooms & dorms every week and if our guest have, unfortunately, any bite marks, we change it right away, and fumigate it’s room & stuff.

At that exact moment we provide some creams or medication, and if it’s necessary we call to the doctors to came here as soon as possible (which is not that often).

To finish, we just want to tell you that we blocked the room 407 as soon as we saw your comments and we have just fumigated and cleaned it to avoid problems in the future.

Once again, many thanks for all your help and for being so comprehensive.

Best regards,

Monica Von Zeschau
Manager

Reviewed 4 February 2016

I have stayed here for the third time. So as you can see, I really like it. This time, I stayed in 4-bed dorm and it was good. It has balcony, own bathroom, very spacy. I recommend this kind of room. The roof top is nice. The breakfast is tasty. It is right in the centre, you can walk almost everywhere... To San Telmo, to Teatro Colon, Florida street...

It has a counter right where you just enter, so it is very secured. I still like it and will stay there if I have a chance to come back to BsAs

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo