“Excellent Party Hostel, however...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palermo House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Palermo House
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Excellent Party Hostel, however...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

If you look for basically a 24h party hostel, definitely stay here. I met so many people and they were really hardcore when partying. The first night I stayed, they allocated me in a backroom noisy which I'm sure it could be anything else but a room. More like a deposit. Then I moved to another room on the first floor. Way better, aircon and less noise coming from the bar. As I stayed for 2 weeks or so, I had to move rooms and the last time I went to the big room with street view. It was really good and spacious but the pillows were bringing all my allergies back, the foam pillow was terrible.. Bathroom was atrocious. There are 5 of them I guess, not enough for as many people as the hostel can have but I don't know, after some days you do what you gotta do.. It's very artsy and I like it plus location is amazing.. close to the main Palermo square where dozens of bars are at, close to clubs, 3 looong blocks from the metro station and also from America's "gifts" such as BK and KFC...anyway.. I don't know how it's lately but they are very open minded so only stay here if you are one too. the only reason I stayed this long was the location and people that I met there.

Room Tip: Hit and miss.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Palermo house hostel is horrible. The location is great though. However, the hostel is very dirty, hot, and overall very gross. The bathrooms are disgusting. It is great if you are just going to sleep all day and party all night. Very good prices but everything else bad. Lockers are too small to fit much in.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Literally the dirtiest hostel I have seen in all of Argentina, Peru, Bolivia and Colombia. Cockroaches and insects crawling all over this dank, mouldy and claustrophobic place. We were promised a double room with a private bathroom. The owner also tried to overcharge us upon check in. When we told him we didn't want to stay here, he pulled out a baseball bat from behind the desk (I'm not joking - I wish I was) and threatened us with it if we did not pay for the night. I'm thankful to have escaped and am reporting this to the tourist police. Amazed this place is in operation as it seems to break many health and safety laws, not to mention crimes (ie. threatening tourists with bats.) Please avoid for your own safety.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank pea_green_boat
milan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I have been in thios hostel many years ago and returned in 2010....it changed not very much...very poor, the bathrooms are horrible but there is a huge very nice terrace!!
globally not an amazing hostell.....location can't be the best....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed in this hostel the last night of our six week trip in Argentina and this was the worst hostel we encountered. The staff is helpful but that's the only positive thing I can say. The kitchen was barely equipped, the breakfast was terrible, all plates and mugs were dirty but not as dirty as the toilets and showers, so that's good.

My advice would be: avoid this hostel if you care about basic personal hygiene.

Room Tip: Book another hostel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

My friend and I ended up here after another hostel "lost" our booking and this was the only place available. First impressions were not good (and they didn't get better)! The security doors bang extremely loudly and the floors were dirty as though they hadnt been cleaned in days. The toilets were just plain scary. All the rooms are located off a common hallway and have no windows or ventilation (therefore are quite smelly) and really poor lighting which makes you feel so lethargic. After seeing our room, we asked to move and we were shown another private room with its own bathroom, however since theres no fans or windows, the room had an overwhelming smell of mould. That night it rained and the corridor got flooded. The next morning we packed our bags and left - we wanted to avoid having a shower there and were not overly keen on experiencing the free breakfast.
However... it was not all bad. There is a really nice balcony off the common area with a lovely view, and the staff are very friendly and were very understanding when we asked for a refund. The wifi was quick and reached the rooms, and the whole place (including the bedrooms) are covered with wall art which is actually pretty cool.
I suppose if you were an artsy type or a uni student, you might enjoy this place. For anyone else, I would suggest you keep looking.

• Stayed October 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Palermo house has a non-pretentious, hippy feel. Staff are friendly and make an effort to socialise with guests, making them feel much more welcome than in a big, soulless hostel like Millhouse. Evenings are spent in the communal area chatting and enjoying great music played by guests and staff alike. The kitchen provides everything required to make your own meals and often guests cook for each other and share food.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends