“Really nice hotel”

Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires
Ranked #62 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We Like
The overall decor of the hotel, with the modern touch in the reception, the old elevator, the art-deco stairs. A mix that works very well.
Rooms are spacious and well kept
The roof terrace, with a good view on Buenos Aires, that gets particularly fascinating early in the morning when the fog hides the lower part of the city
The central location

We do not like
The breakfast, that is quite poor compared to the expectations
The noise of the elevator, that can wake you up in the morning, in addition to the chatting of the staff
The bathroom (in our room, at least) that was extremely small. Basically the bathroom had space only for the toilet and a shower, while the rest of the bathroom is in the room. Ok, the room is huge, but sometimes we need some privacy ...

Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 11 November 2008

We really like this hotel we stayed in a loft room and it was very good, very big and all you could ask for in a hotel room.

The hotel does not have a restaurant or bar as yet while is a little bit of a shame. We knew when we were going there that it lacked a restaurant but no bar we didn't. They say that the hotel is in San Telmo but it is a lot closer to the CBD. In fact it is a very close to Casa Roes and the subti station beside it. This means that at night and at the weekend the area is dead. We did find it a bit uncomfortable going back one evening. The lack of lighting in the room and only one mirror in the bathroom were problems for my wife. I thought that the lighting was fine and how many mirrors do you need in life.

The porters and room staff re very good but the front desk need a bit more time to get use to dealing with people. They are good at the big things such as bookings but the little things such as advice or an opinion are not forthcoming.

All in all we got a good deal for a great room which we loved and the hotel suited us. If you use your hotel facilities a lot this place is not for you. If you are a woman on her own make sure you know what you are getting into. If the price is right for you go for it.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2008

A group of 6 of us stayed at this hotel in September for one night. We wanted to stop in BA for one night as we were flying from Lima to Rio.
The hotel is in a great area, not far from the shopping district, but on a quiet road with a few cafes nearby.
The decor of the hotel was beautiful. Very trendy and modern and really big rooms and bathrooms.
We loved the old style lift and the general feel about the place. Unfortunately we didn't make it up in time for breakfast as we were too hungover after a very late night out in BA's bars (but that's another story!) but the rooftop area where they serve breakfast looked really lovely.
I would def recommend this hotel to anyone and would like to go back there some day.
P.S The staff spoke excellent English as well and there was free internet access.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I don't really have anything bad to say about this hotel, other than the well-publicized fact that there is no restaurant or bar right now.

I had booked on the hotel website, and got the 'large' room for $95 a night, which is a steal for a truly 5 star room. Upon arriving, they upgraded me to 'extra-extra-large' room. Absolutely massive, gorgeous finishings and great shower and bathroom. I've been in close to 10 Buenos Aires hotels in the last 7 years, and this is by far the best room I've ever stayed in there.

The internet is wireless and free. No login code necessary. Lagged a bit during the evenings, but seemed pretty quick during the day. Always had a full and strong signal the entire time.

As stated in a few reviews, the front desk staff was very nice, helpful and courteous.

I didn't have any problems in the area at all. There's plenty of places to eat if you're willing to walk around and explore. The continental breakfast was just that, a continental breakfast. Some pastries, croissants, bread, yogurt and cereal. Nothing fancy, but did the trick for a quick bite before heading out for the day.

The value for the room is terrific. I'd give this place 5 stars if it had a great restaurant as well. Perhaps in December it will!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lukef
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The overall experience is ok but still...

Rooms. Big rooms with a nice space. You will hardly find this size in other hotels, still the tv size was too small.

Location. It isn't that great, if you are up to spending time during night, you will find it a bit lonely, even worse, if you know about the security problems in Buenos Aires you might freak out.

Breakfast. It is not a real breakfast, if you are spending more than one day, you will really get annoyed, it won't change at all, and its the same as if you went to the grocery store to buy some yogurt, fruits and cereal. They should do better than that.

Service. Everybody was really friendly, but I think that they should have a real bellboy for the price your paying. I had to carry most of my luggage my self after a long flight. The security guy on the entrance will just stare at you as you carry all of your baggage with your bags. Still, the girls at the front desk were really nice.

Bottom-line. If you are looking for a hotel that does not make you feel as a guest, but makes you feel as someone who feels there this is for you. If you want to feel pampered look for something else.

Also, as I decided to switch hotels, I had a little issue with the reservation dates, I canceled my reservation with at the front desk, still the reservation department was calling me to tell me I would be charged. They denied being advised, but they say this time they would let it pass.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank TabHito
Reviewed 25 October 2008

We stayed at the Moreno for 8 nights - a mixture of work and visiting Argentine friends. The location is a couple of blocks away from Plaza di Mayo: seat of government and start of several of the metro lines, so great connections.

The bedroom and bathroom were both spacious and spotless. Although the lift was nearby, I didn't notice it running through the night, and as our room looked out onto the cathedral rather than the road, there was no outside noise. Reception staff were helpful: lending us a travel adaptor, replenishing paper in the guest pc/printer, calling cabs, carrying bags and smiling all the time.

There is no restaurant in the hotel but a breakfast room is located on the roof terrace - enticing enough in early spring but no doubt knockout in hot weather. Breakfast is limited in choice but perfectly adequate either for a healthy or indulgent start to the day - the millionaire's shortbread is warmly recommended!

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel: it is not a slick international oufit, but an individual hotel which has character. My overall impression was that they welcomed me, valued my custom and wanted me to enjoy their hospitality and their city. Which I did.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2008

A wonderful contemporary hotel right in the heart of Buenos Aires.
A close walk to the Plaza and the sunday flea market. The daily breakfast was plain simple. No special touches. The front desk staff were helpful but not very knowledgeable of certain travel itineraries. Never get a room facing the street. Noise on weekends woke us up in the middle of the night.

Suggested parillas in the area :

Cabanas Las Lilas
La Brigada

Visit Palermo for the shops. Have coffee at the Decoratives Arts Museum. Watch tango show at Faena hotel. Have dinner at Sucre, Casa Cruz, Olsen and Cluny.

Be aware of fake money. Never go to an exchange place at Florida St. Only change money in banks.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple