“Great find”

Back in BA
Sydney, Australia
“Great find”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I'm surprised but the poor reviews for this hostel.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The common area is small, but the hostel is fairly small also.

The rooms are large and comfortable (though basic) & the bathrooms clean.

The kitchen is tiny, so not great for cooking.

The hostel is located in a fantastic part of town and is easily accessible (though the subte is not super close). It is also a safe part of town (and as a solo female, I felt very comfortable walking back in the evening).

There are a couple of rooms that back onto the common area which wouldn't be ideal and may be quite noisy.

I definitely recommend this hostel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JLASydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is my third time to return to BA during my five month trip, and having stayed in San Telmo and Centro, I wanted to be closer to Palermo to save on travelling back and forth from the good nightlife!
I was nervous at first, as having been in touch previously, arriving quiet late and tired, and greeted by a seemingly grumpy receptionist, I hoped I'd not made a mistake, but I wanted to stay in one place for three consecutive nights as couldn't be bothered to move again.
The location is excellent, the beds are comfy and despite the central Palermo location, I didn't hear any street noise to keep me awake.
Matt the English owner is well informed and willing to help with any queries, as are his team.
Breakfast not the best but adequate and available till 10am.
The outlets in the rooms did not all work.
Activities on most nights if you're looking for something social, and a nice communal area with fast-acting computers and wifi. I heard there were problems with the wifi while I was there but they seemed keen to rectify it immediately they became aware.
Would stay here again in Palermo as good value and nice chilled atmos.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam S
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed here for my first night in BA and that was enough. I researched so much on hostels/B&B's prior to the trip looking for good place in good location. Having completed a 14+ hour flight to BA, was hoping for good rest in good hostel. Although it looked clean, the accommodation is very old and has musty smell. Was told upon check in that they were having a party that night with "strict" policy to end party at 2am. I've stayed in plenty of hostels and 2am seems rather late for a quiet time policy, but appreciated forewarning at the time. HOWEVER, Not only was "strict" policy not enforced until 3am, but people were exceptionally loud, screaming, and smoking. Cigarette smoke definitely got into my room. Thought of turning on the fan in my room so I could breathe, but then saw it was coated in a super thick layer of dust and grime (Did not want that blowing my way). The breakfast was a joke with stale bread and juice. I had asked for change for 100 pesos the next morning upon check out to which was told they didn't have any which was a lie as since they just had a party the previous night until 3am where I'm sure heaps of drunken guests unloaded heaps of pesos. When I asked to buy a water and paid with my 100 peso bill, they magically had change.

Definitely not for me and not for anyone looking for a decent sleep or good accommodation. While I'm not against parties, they should have kept their word and enforced what was claimed to be a strict quiet time policy to be respectful to those wanting sleep. I know I wasn't the only one bothered because after the massive crowd moved their party to the bars, another traveller came out to comment on their loss of sleep. It's the perfect place for someone looking for a major party and no other expectations!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LuvTraveling8
BackinBA, Owner at Back in BA, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Well, I´m sorry we didn´t meet this reviewers expectations. Most people who stay with us have a great time and love our staff, location and facilities.

However, sometimes we drop the ball. We do try to get party people out of the hostel by 2am (this is Buenos Aires, not a rural backwater, things start late). 3am is too late and I will speak with the night staff about that. But we have to try to balance the good times with those that want to sleep. We don´t always get it right, but we do try. We are a hostel after all. And it´s a shame the "other drunken guests" didn´t all leave reviews here! They had a great time!!

Our breakfast is simple but effective. Toast, fresh coffee, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice. No joking!

I think the biggest issue here is in the title "Not what I expected". If your expecting a full service hotel or a boutique bed and breakfast, we´re probably going to disappoint you. But if you´re looking for a comfortable, friendly hostel in a great area, then you´re going to love us.

The expectations for a 50 bedroom chain hotel, or a family owned hosteria in the wildeness and a hostel in the middle of the most desireable part of a huge city should be different. When comparing places, price is also a factor. Paying US$22 for a private room (or US$10 for a dorm) is not that same as US$50. I´m not sure if this reviewer took this in to account.

Finally, if you arrive in a place tired and with a bad attitude, your experience is going to be different than if you arrive with a smiile on your face. We always try to be friendly and helpful from the get go. But we´re not automatons here (again, this is a small hostel, not a chain hotel), and if we get a consistently bad attitude from a guest, we´re probably not going to spend a lot of time trying to be super friendly. I know I shouldn´t say that but it is a factor.

So in conclusion, I´m sorry we dropped the ball on the noise factor. It shouldn´t be that late. However, our breakfast is good, our staff are friendly, and the rooms are comfortable. We love to be friendly to friendly guests and 99% of the time that works out great. Oh and our location is THE BEST!!!
Rosario, Argentina
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is a lovely hostel with a great location just withing walking distance to all the main attractions in Palermo Soho and Hollywood. Our stay was awesome here! Receptinists've been really cool and helpful, rooms and toilets very clean and comfy! The atmosphere is chilled out and laid-back! Definitely a place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed at Back in Ba for the final two nights of my six month trip. The location is amazing, downtown Palermo, walking distance from all the good bars and clubs in town. Its in a quiet, residential area that is very safe and close to public transport.

I was there during a very hot week in BA and as there is no air conditioning, it was very unpleasent and hard to sleep at night. Apart from that the staff are fantastic and full of knowlege. Kitchen facilities are great and beer is cheap.

Its quite a small hostel which is perhaps what makes it so great. If you are a solo traveller it is a great place to meet people and people are always willing to help you out.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Our room was in the bar, meaning we had to walk through everyone to get to the toilet and were kept up in the night.
Staff weren't especially friendly, we weren't asked if wed like to join in a hostel organised dinner.

Basic facilities, very small kitchen. Breakfast is stale bread and fruit covered in flies!

Good location for palermo.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Marthamay222
BackinBA, Owner at Back in BA, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
I´m really glad this reviewer liked our location. Being in the middle of Palermo Soho, one of the most desireable parts of Buenos Aires, is a big deal - and our guests love it.

I´m sorry that these guests were not invited to a hostel dinner - we always try to include everybody in our actitivies. We reguarly get great reviews for our staff so that surprises me. Perhaps the guests were out when we were organising it.

After a few comments about breakfast, we´re going to look into it. At the moment it´s toast, jam, tea, fresh filter coffee, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice and drinking chocolate. But not flies!

Also our kitchen is big enough for 4 or 5 people to be cooking at the same time and has stove, oven, microwave, all the pots and pans you might need. It´s not huge but then we only a maximum of 20-25 guests here.

We do have rooms in the reception area and most people are happy to be there, but if you don´t like the room, and if we can, we´ll move you to another room.

I´m not sure what expensive means. We are very competative with other hostels in Buenos Aires (at time of writing AR$240 for private room and $80 for a dorm), although people do find BA a bit more expensive than it was a few years ago. Inflation will do that. We still think we´re great value for money, for a hostel in one of the most desireable areas of Buenos Aires.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2013

There wasn't really anything particularly wrong with this hostel other than the breakfast which was a joke - definitely the worst we had on our trip. We had a double room off the reception/bar area which was fine. A little bit noisy as the staff would keep the tv on late into the night even if there were no guests in the reception area. The staff for the most part are pleasant - than one guy who was fairly unpleasant - but I found I was always the one greeting them and instigating conversations whereas it should be the other way around. Also there was no "welcome to BA" chat like you get in most hostels, explaining the various transport options/tours/activities. You were left to your own devices. There seemed to be a rotating cast of characters there. We stayed 4 nights and there must have been 7 guys behind the desk at various points.

The hostel itself is quite nice with the indoor courtyard area. The bathrooms were clean. The location is great right in the thick of the action in Palermo. Security is good - you have to buzz in. It was a bit quiet when we were there, we thought there would be more of a buzz in a Palermo hostel and maybe there is normally.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple