“Perfect. Can't wait to return.”

Gurda Tango Boutique Hotel
Ranked #276 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect. Can't wait to return.”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had over a week in Buenos Aires and stayed in Palermo for the most part. For my final two nights, I decided to move to a different neighbourhood -- San Telmo. I picked Gurda because it looked nice and the price was good. I was truly impressed! Check the photos -- it's so nice.

The Hotel is beautiful, from the building itself to the interior design. The rooms are accessible from a private courtyard which, I imagine, would be a smoker's heaven -- big, airy and open to the stars, but serene. Everything else aside, the building, it's design, etc., were nice to come back to at night. My room was big, bright and clean, and the bathroom was modern and spotless. There was plenty of space. My bed and the pillows were comfortable, the shower was hot, the safe was functional, and there were plenty of electrical outlets -- these are necessaries. But, again, the room was impeccably clean, it was lovely, comfortable and cheap.

Everyone who worked at Gurda was very helpful. For example, I woke up on my first morning (at noon-ish), and had missed breakfast after a late Buenos Aires night. I took a seat in the common area and flipped through my guidebook as I waited for my friend to call. While I was waiting, the woman at reception said that I must have had a long night and could probably use a coffee. Within a couple minutes, they brought me coffee, orange juice and several pastries in lieu of the breakfast I woke up too late for.

Hotel staff were perfect when it came to arranging taxis, instructing the drivers and confirming the reasonable price before I headed off. They were eager to help plan fulfilling days in the city, recommending sights that some tourists might miss, and suggesting local shops and restaurants that are less overrun by tourists than the guidebook's suggestions.

A note about location: for me, the location of the hotel was ideal. I wasn't trapped in the busy centre, but was about a 15 minute walk away. I was also a short walk from everything in San Telmo, and about 15 minutes from Puerto Madero. The Hotel, though, is quite near La Boca. This was no problem -- the staff are always there to let you in and to help you find where you need to go, but I can imagine that someone with a poor sense of direction and no street smarts might wander into a dangerous area. As with anywhere, you'll be safe if you keep your wits about you.

I would not hesitate to re-book this Hotel. I've stayed at a lot of places and I think I got supreme value here. Considering how perfect everything was for my needs, I cannot believe how affordable this lovely hotel was!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank PickySeeksNotPicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Small hotel that was a little tricky for my taxi driver to locate, but was worth it.

I had a room adjoining a courtyard, it was spacious with a high ceiling.The room was clean, modern and well equipped. Bathroom clean, modern and tasteful with good water pressure. All mod cons provided. Bed was comfortable and linens of a good quality.

Staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was more than adequate for my needs with a good selection of food. Great value and recommended, a good find thanks to Tripadvisor.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank craghopper
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2011

What we liked the most about Gurda Tango was the staff. All young guys and girls, always very friendly and helpful. 24 hours at service.
The breakfast is also very good.
The location is great. At San Telmo, but far enough from the very center of the bubbling markets.
The front door is small and maybe a little difficult to find. If you get lost, go to the junction between calle Defensa and avenida Brasil and walk back, on Defensa, towards the park. The hotel is the second wooden twin door. Ring the bell. The door is never open.
We stayed there for 5 nights and the only thing we missed was mats on the cold floor. A minibar wouldn´t hurt either.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Great location, rooms basic but comfortable. Would echo Prodigal Son's review. Staff welcoming and helpful, particularly Carolina. Bizarre breakfast arrangements, children's cereals and cake for breakfast, but you have to ask for toast and for anything cooked. Private tango lesson, pricey but highly recommended.

If you are thinking of booking a stay there keep in mind that you will get a 10% discount for cash. We did not learn this until we were on the point of leaving for the airport and too late to get to a cashpoint. So come prepared.

For tango fans there is a tango milonga just a few doors down the street on the Sunday night, ask at desk about this. Also don't miss Confiteria Ideal uptown, you won't get more authentic than this.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbuckner2016
Denver
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We were in Buenos Aires to begin a cruise around Cape Horn to Valparaiso, Chile and the Gurda Tango was perfect for our needs. Boutique hotels are generally converted homes in older neighborhoods and this is no exception. So, if you're looking for Hilton or Marriott style, this isn't it. But, it is a wonderful, convenient hotel (six rooms) with a staff that is the most accomodating I have come across in fifty years of travel. The hotel is close to great restaurants, shops, etc., but if you need to go farther, cabs are amazingly inexpensive. They don't have a formal dining room, but breakfast is served in a very comfortable room. If we were to go to Buenos Aires again, this is where we would stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Northern VA
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Gurda is located in the San Telmo section of Buenos Aires within safe walking distance of restaurants, shops and parks. Our spacious premium room was outfitted with a king bed, ample storage, A/C, TV, a sitting area and a large spa bathtub. Breakfast buffet is plentiful. The hotel has four rooms all located toward the rear (so quite) on the street level. There is a small bar and a breakfast/lounge area good for socializing with fellow travelers. The staff is very helpful with tour, restaurant and shopping advice. Not far from the hotel is Plaza Dorrego where various craft and antique fairs happen weekly. Gurda is a very good stop in Buenos Aires.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 March 2011

A real find and spectacular value. Located in a wonderful part of San Telmo, staying at Gurda allows you to enjoy a local arts community in this older section of Buenos Aires. Great room, fabulous service, wonderful breakfast, and overall atmosphere. The bathroom was excellent, but had some peeling paint. Highly recommended, we'd stay there again - especially on the weekend so we can be close to the San Telmo Sunday market.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple