“Faulty Towers”

Ranked #339 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
London
“Faulty Towers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was attracted to this place as it´s a worker run hotel but that´s where the romance ended. This hotel is in desperate need of a huge cash injection. The lifts were scary. I got stuck in one of them almost everyday and there was always one out of service. My room was extremely dated and there was water from the upstairs bathroom dripping through my ceiling and onto the table missing my laptop by a whisker. This leak caused the electrics to blow on more than one occasion. I spoke to other guests and they too where experiencing the same problems and had been given hand held lights for their rooms as they had no electricity at all. The quality of breakfast was poor. The bread was stale everyday and the mini pastries where of terrible quality. The coffee gave me acid indigestion, something I don´t usually suffer from. I found most of the staff apathetic although the two main guys on reception were really friendly and helpful. I´d really like for this place to work given that it´s a cooperative hotel but right now it´s a far cry from what it should be for the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank spindriftmonkey

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here for a few weeks in late 2013. I wasn't expecting much given the reviews that I had read - but I wanted to stay ever since I first saw documentaries about worker-controlled businesses in Argentina. The room we got was clean and tidy - and decent daily housekeeping service. The laundry service is good and very inexpensive. Breakfast buffet was reasonable. Café next to foyer was very nice and we ate here a few times and drank coffee a lot. But the best thing was the people working there - nothing was too much trouble. They helped us arrange drivers, shows, accommodation in other cities, gave us tips on where to go. Someone from the front desk saw us out one day and came over to say hello and see how our trip was going. Will stay here again - yes it is a bit rough around the edges, but I love the idea of worker-controlled businesses and hope to see many more in Argentina and around the world!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Aimee T
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

I’m struck by the enormous gulf between the reviews here in English and those in Spanish – it seems the Argentine and other Latin American reviewers appreciate the importance of supporting a worker-run cooperative, and those of us from the US or writing in fluent English are looking for something else. The newer reviews in Spanish report recent improvement in the Bauen.

I admit that I haven’t stayed overnight, but I’ve attended a number of events at this hotel during my last 3 vacations in Buenos Aires, and I’ve grown fond of the place. Service at the front desk has improved since I first visited in 2011; when I visited last month, a polite young man dressed in a suit and tie assisted me with information about upcoming events at the Bauen and with directions.

The Bauen has a coffeeshop next to the lobby; it’s a pleasant place to have a drink and a snack for breakfast or merienda (afternoon tea) and chat with friends. It also hosts many events, including theater productions and film festivals, in its auditorium and conference rooms. I’ve been there on various afternoons and nights when it felt like the most happening spot in the neighborhood, with small crowds gathered to listen to speeches in the street or attend the independent publishers’ fair.

Yes, the place is run down in some ways, so don’t expect something like a corporate hotel chain in the United States. But if you have any interest in Argentine responses to the economic crisis circa 2001 or want to give some business to a group of self-managed workers (or you simply like mid-century modern design), the Bauen Hotel is well worth a stop.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank springbyker
UY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

I read the terrible reviews about this hotel before going last weekend, sadly I couldn't change our reservation cause it was part of a good deal for the U2 concert.

The hotel is totally update and in terrible shape, the rooms are hot and with no AC working, the bathroom was very dirty, so was the rest of the room. Windows can't be closed well and the curtains are ripped so the sunlight comes in directly to your face.

They gave us a triple bed room when we had reservation for a double bed room, the sheets and the mattress were dirty and really uncomfortable.

Please look at the pictures!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank RMMuy

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

If you're a European or North American traveler used to corporate hotels, the Bauen is neither comfortable nor hospitable. In addition to the badly worn and faded interiors that other Web reviews prepared me for, the air conditioning was also not operative (in late November with a west-facing room this was a real discomfort), the storied basement disco lounge was closed, and the staff were even surlier than I would have expected of survivalist porteno service employees.

That said, the hotel cooperative is giving it a good effort and the basic hotel services are fine (I used the hotel laundry service and delivery was prompt and tidy). The real reason to stay there is to give business to a group of people who took over an abandoned property and reopened it for business to demonstrate their right to work. Legally dicey, and hardly an example of a government looking out for its people, it remains an intriguing case of labor disputes-- in North America and Europe, these are usually executed by not working, where here we have a mostly functioning hotel run by people who needed work to maintain their livelihoods. If you don't see any merit or legitimacy in this position, there's no especially compelling reason to stay there. Don't go expecting the worker cooperative story to be immediately apparent, and if you like comfort and have a few extra pesos to spend, look for something plusher.

• Liked — location, view from upper floors, bath facilities
  • Disliked — air conditioning/room comforts, condition of the hotel, amenities
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank villeradieuse
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2005

I was put here when there were troubles with the airlines to ensure my flight back home. The only thing I can say about the Bauen that is slightly positive is that this is why I like to make my own reservations. The hotel is old, very old. You walk into the lobby only to be greeted by seniors listenting to has-been opera singers on an overpowered amp (probably to accomodate the collective hearing loss). I could barely speak with the front desk it was so loud. Adding to the atmosphere was the cloud of smoke lingering in the lobby.

The receptionist insisted that I wait for the bellboy to take my two bags (both carry-on size that I carried from NYC to BA by myself). After waiting ten minutes I said I would rather take it myself than wait any longer. She looked puzzled and refused to hand over the key until I insisted that she give me the key. Then, only two of the 3 elevators were working and some amateur soccer teams along with a socialist party group of 20-30 kids were all waiting. I pushed to the head of the group to squeeze onto to the elevator fearing it would be another hour of listening to the opera screamers until I could unpack.

Then the room! I found the room with the door open and the maid sitting on the bed talking with a friend on the phone. I knocked on the door and she looked annoyed that I would try and enter and actually asked to see my key. The walls were chipped, the beds soft and squeeky, the windows allow all of the noise from the Callao/Corrientes intersection to seep in, there was only one outlet, no safe, and the air conditioning does not come on until summer (mind you, it was 80 degrees the night I stayed there).

I tried to change rooms and succeded in only getting on the same side, but 9 floors lower. The bed was a bit firmer, but overall the room was the same.

All in all, unless you want to be miserable, save your pesos and find someplace better.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business