“Good for an overnight stay ...”

Hotel Iruna Mar del Plata
Ranked #38 of 156 Hotels in Mar del Plata
Zurich
“Good for an overnight stay ...”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The room was rather small and there was not much space for our lugagge. The window was facing other rooms in the opposite wing of the hotel - however with leaning out of the window you were able to see the sea.

We arrived by car and were able to park the car just besides the hotel - they charged an additional fee for the parking. The wifi in the hotel room worked nicely.

The breakfast in the hotel was good - like in many other places - the choice of fresh food is rather small.

The concierge was very helpful and we were given an excellent recommendation for dinner.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bariloche-61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I was so aprehensive about booking this hotel after reading the reviews on trip advisor, but I got a great deal on a 3 night stay here over a long weekend staying with my partner. I was very pleasantly surprised the hotel was very appealing from the outside in a great location near to the beach and the city centre. The staff and reception area were lovely and overall the hotel definatly lived up to its 4 star rating. The only down side were the rooms being a little on the small side but they were clean and well serviced twice daily. The hotel had a gym and lovely deck that caught the sunshine on an afternoon. Breakfast was sufficient and buffet style and adequate for anyone's needs. I would definatly stay in the Hotel Iruna again, it was just what we needed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Missfinedining78
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I had trepidations after booking my room at the Iruna and then reading the reviews here. But none of the negative things I saw here happened to me. I found the desk staff very helpful, they speak English or Spanish and did anything we asked of them with no problem. The room service was amazing, fastest I seen. Don't recommend the hotel restaurant, the food is so-so at best, but there are lots of restaurants within walking or cab distance, and the staff made good recommendations. Yes, the rooms are on the small side, but ours was certainly all we needed. Great ocean view, good TV, hot water, bidet, comfortable bed, top notch maid service. I would stay there again because of the great service, central beach location and reasonable rates.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Giessen
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Hotel looks ok from the outside, has however seen better days and has the charme of an Eastern European Hotel from the 70ies. Our room was horrible, small, filthy and looking into the backyard and all kind of exhausts and A/Cs. Dinner was also fairly poor and service not really existing. Don't know if other rooms were better than our "Standard" but would not recommend this place. Parking was good. Breakfast also fairly poor.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hskuehn

Travellers are raving about these Mar del Plata hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Iruna for a week while my husband while he was on a conference. The rooms were small but pleasant. The hotel staff was very accommodating, very friendly and made our stay there very enjoyable. The hotel does not have a pool and although it is next to the water it is not the kind of beach to sit out on and read all day. Overall it was a nice and cute place.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — small
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank ewolfe2
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 6 January 2007

I went to Mar del Plata in November 2006. I had asked for a room with ocean view when I booked my reservation months earlier. They gave me a room with two windows facing another room windows. Almost no natural light in the room for being so enclosed. They gave me a room adjacent to another room with little or no privacy, only a door with a latch was in the middle, and I was awaken by the phone calls on the next room. My phone didn't work, they even forgot to wake me up my last day when I needed to leave eralier. Fortunately (?) my next room neighbor was on his cell phone talking next to my door by my bed... And he woke me up. The service in the hotel was awful, the elevators are very small and slow, many times we have to wait for a long period of time to get to our room or to leave our floor. The rooms are not thoroughly cleaned: I bought a sweater my first day in Mar del Plata and a little label fell off on to the carpet floor. It was there until my last day at the Hotel Iruna. Very scary situation. I don't recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to have a good time in Mar del Plata... Of course I won't go back...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank charso
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed 18 December 2006

I just stayed at the Hotel Iruna during an early December conference in Mar Del Plata. My room was not large by US standards and had no view, but it was extremely quiet and comfortable, with a nicely appointed private bath with bidet and hair dryer. The room had air conditioning (ask for a remote control at the front desk), phone, and cable TV. There was no clock provided so bring your own travel alarm. The bed was comfortably firm, the linens fresh, and I slept soundly. The desk staff were helpful and professional and the housekeeping was excellent including bed turn-down service each evening.

My conference group ate breakfast and either lunch or dinner in the hotel each day. Breakfast was served buffet style with croissants, cold sliced ham and cheese, pies and pastries, yogurt, bread, jam, dulce de leche, cereal, milk, juice, and fresh fruit salad. Lunch and dinner started with a salad buffet including a variety of fresh and cooked vegetables, olives, sliced cheeses, and cured meats, followed by a main course (e.g. baked chicken and potatoes) and then dessert and coffee. Dinner is served from 8:30PM to 11:30PM.

The hotel offers free wireless internet access in the lobby, but since the whole place was full of conference attendees who all wanted to check their email at the same hours, the wireless network was often overwhelmed and not reliable. Guests could be found hanging out in the lobby late into the night, typing on laptops, and hotel wait-staff were on hand to serve drinks from the bar at all hours. An internet cafe is also available nearby.

The hotel is across a busy street from the beach which was full of vacationing families. Excellent shopping can be found within a few blocks. Our conference program was held at the law school building a few blocks away.

Be sure to bring an electrical adapter if you intend to plug in your cell phone or laptop chargers. The plugs in my room were diagonal in shape (like those in Australia) and carried 200V. Here's a sketch of the plug shape:

top: / \

bottom: |

Bus transportation between Buenos Aires and Mar Del Plata can be arranged via a company called Tienda Leon, whose station is a short taxi ride from the hotel. The private vans are comfortable but beware, they are not equipped with bathrooms and stop only once along the 6 hour ride. Air connections are also available.

The Iruna hotel was terrific for a conference venue or vacationing adults; but I would not bring my kids here on vacation, as the hotel does not offer a private beach or pool and there is no lifeguard on duty at the public beach.

• Liked — Attentive and helpful hotel staff.
  • Disliked — The view--my room had a view of the airshaft.
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop for leather goods at El Detalle in the Galeria Sacoa, Rivadavia 2339. Tiny shop, great deals.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business