“" Fly Fisherman from Nottingham U.K. "”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marble Canyon
Cliff Dwellers Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marble Canyon
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Well, I said I would be back and I did go back, in fact I have just returned to England after an experience that will stay long in my memory.
After my rather negative fishing trip last November, this time it was everything and more.
The reason being that this time I was privileged to have had 2 days fishing the Colorado river with the most amazing angler I have ever had the good fortune to meet in more than 20 years of fly fishing. That man was Terry Gunn, owner of Cliff Dwellers. Terry has an incredible knowledge of this river and all the relevant information that is needed for a successful fishing trip. The enjoyment of my 3 night stay at Cliff Dwellers was completed by the helpful and friendly attitude of the staff of the shop and restaurant plus the company of my " new friend "
Brian from Phoenix who was my fellow angler for the duration of the trip.
Finally, you do not have to be an angler to enjoy the hospitality of the Cliff Dwellers, if you happen to be in the area for whatever reason, stay here, you will not be disappointed.
As for me, well, as I pointed out to Terry one day in the boat, I do really have only one complaint about the Cliff Dwellers and the fishing and that complaint is this " IT'S 5000 MILES MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE ! ! ! "
Tight line to everybody,
Paul Reed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank PaulReed_11

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Great place for a vacation in one of the most beautiful places in northern Arizona. The lodge was nice and comfortable, with very accommodating staff. The cafe is one of the best around, great variety. Fly fishing guide service was outstanding, we had two days of fe nominal fishing. Guide Nat Jenson was very knowledgable and patient. If you are looking for a great fishing vacation in Arizona this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stopped in for a fishing trip for 1 night. They opened the restaurant just for us which was much appreciated. The food was good and the staff was very friendly. The setting is beautiful and the room was clean, but our one complaint is that the beds were unbearably hard! It was very difficult to have a comfortable night's sleep. Just a memory foam topper and everything would have been perfect.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank azgirl30
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Being a keen fly fisherman I decided it might be a good idea to try fishing for trout at Lees Ferry on the Colorado river.
After flying into Vegas from England I hired a car and drove up to Cliff dwellers in early November 2011. A rather pleasant journey ( apart from a slightly anxious bit over a snow covered Kaibab Plateau ! )
I arrived at the Cliff Dwellers in very depressing rainy conditions to discover that I was the only one staying there for what was the first of 2 nights. Being in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere ( not the sort of place you happen to be passing as a rule ! ) I wondered what the HELL I was doing so far from anywhere.
However, I can only say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and would like to say a special thank's to Wendy, Ted, Mike ( in the restaurant, keep travelling Mike ! ) also to "Scary" Larry who lives around the back, and Burkhard from Phoenix.
I also met 2 great guys from Phoenix, Brian and Dennis, fellow anglers who very kindly offered to take me up river for the fishing if I ever return to the area. Well, I have decided that I am going to return, hopefully in the Spring.
So if ever you happen to be in this " neck of the woods " stay at the Cliff Dwellers, you wont regret it. A word of warning though, if you happen to be driving towards Fredonia on the 89A,
watch your speed over the Kaibab Plateau, I was pulled over by the highway patrol for doing 42 in a 35 zone ! Fortunately the officer probably thought I was crazy for travelling all the way from England to catch fish ( which I didn't ! ) so only gave me a warning notice instead of a fine.
Tight lines to everybody,
Paul Reed

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank PaulReed_11
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed there in the old building in the rear and don't advise same unless on a strict budget. Rather, stay in the new addition that is quite nice. The restaurant is TOP NOTCH for all meals. I met and complimented the chef while there. She's a star for sure. I believe this spot has the best food in all of the three places to stay along the Cliffs.

Room Tip: Stay in the new addition building for a modern and more quiet room with views !
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank lckt13
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Used this as a base of for our travel & sightseeing in the Page area. Rooms are nothing special but were clean and beds good. They outfit Colorado River fishing trips out of here which seemed to be doing a brisk business if your into to that. What really convinced us to stay here were the rave reviews about the restaurant. The food is GREAT! Service superb and very accomadating if you need to go meals for your excursions. Go for the food and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Philyslowroll
Reviewed 26 October 2011

this was the unexpected delight of a month long road trip. Not only was the food great and the rustic lodge room perfect, but the service was un be lievable. These people will take you in like long lost friends, and on the full moon or the dark moon, the setting cannot be beat.

• Stayed: October 2011
Best Western View of Lake Powell Hotel
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell
19 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell

Been to Cliff Dwellers Lodge? Share your experiences!