“Forget the other reviews - I have photos!”

Marble Canyon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marble Canyon
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We had been over booked at the Lake Powell Resort - this WAS NOT our choice!!!!

As per previous reviews, the restaurant attached to the lodge is great - the food was definitely the best we had eaten in the previous 4 days we had spent on the road. The ribs in particular are fabulous.

The room however was a different story - I am not going to make any comments here just check out the photos!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank melaniec296

Reviewed 23 January 2008

We had driven all the way from Vegas to the Grand Canyon in a day, we were so tired but my brother in law had done the same trip a few days earlier and recommended this lodge. We had given up hope of finding the place when all of a sudden we turned a corner and there was Marble Canyon Lodge! We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant. pretty basic stuff, I had a giant pork steak and mash, my husband had ribs, but it was all cooked to perfection and very welcome after a long drive. The rooms aren't anything special but they are clean and comfortable. What more do you want?
We woke up the next morning and it was like waking up on the set of a western, we had horse shoe mountains behind us and open plains in front, it was perfect. The staff a brilliant, the gift shop is cheesy but great, and the lodge is just one of those special un touched places not many of us get to see!

• Stayed: September 2004, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pakaka
Reviewed 15 February 2007

We stayed at the Marble Canyon Lodge as part of a Elderhostel Program. The room was adequate and fairly spacious with good beds. Unlike other reviews, the room was kept very clean with new towels and sheets. Also, the cleaning staff were quite friendly. The food at the restaurant was far better than expected with fresh vegetables, fruit and tasty entrees. The staff at the restaurant were welcoming and friendly. In summary, I had no complaints for a budget-priced motel.

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank janequilter
Reviewed 16 July 2006

I found the room at Marble Canyon Lodge incredibly uncomfortable. The bed was hard, the a/c didn't adequately cool, and overall I felt it was not clean. The layout, too, with the kitchen, was awkward. Got the feeling the place had been thrown together (remodeled?) way back when, in some haphazard, piecemeal fashion with used, crappy furniture that didn't fit, etc. I liked the restaurant though. The meals I had there were quite good, and service was fast and friendly. Many of the staff are distant and, as another reviewer said, quite used to the transient nature of the place. The gift store does have quite an extensive and impressive selection of books on the Southwest. As a launching point for GC river trips, it couldn't be more convenient, but next time I think I'll try the Cliff Dwellers Lodge.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Colo-Bound
Reviewed 7 June 2006

You may not have a choice - this place was booked as part of our river trip. But this place is real basic, so don't expect much.

The other reviews cover the general (barely clean/lumpy bed) gist of the place, but I have a couple points to add.

First, if you have to be at the river at a certain time, bring an alarm clock with you. There is no clock of any kind in the room, and no phone to get a wake up call. Cell phones don't work either.

Second, order only basic food at the restaurant. I had a steak for dinner, and I was the only one happy - fish was undercooked, green chile steak was inedible, etc. The burger I had for lunch was also pretty good. The hot breakfast buffet - icky, even if it was my last in civilization. And if you're in a large group, leave lots of time, they're not real fast.

Finally, it may help someone to restate what should have been obvious to us: make sure you have cash before you get there. We had a miscommunication and had to get tip money for the trip ($100/person x 6) at the last minute. They have one non-bank ATM that dispenses $100 in twenties at one time with a $2 service charge + your bank's charge for each transaction.

I'll also note for anyone confused, as we were, by MapQuest directions that imply the lodge is some distance from the road: this place has a gigantic sign on 89A. It's impossble to miss.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank sphinx41
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2005

We stayed at the Marble Canyon Lodge before a six day river rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. Although the motel is in a convenient location and is inexpensive, our stay was unsatisfying. We stayed in a room that had a little kitchen, although to tell you the truth, I could have passed up the stove and the microwave for a clock and a phone. It was over 100 degrees outside and the air conditioner in our room was marginal at best. The room didn't seem exceptionally clean, although it was passable. The walls were thin so you could hear the people in the next room. The staff was not friendly. I would have preferred to stay at Cliff Dweller's Lodge, which is a few miles down the road, but they were completely booked. Cliff Dwellers has a nice restaurant with good food and an incredibly friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2004

I would recommend this lodge as a great jumping off point for your excursions into the Grand Canyon.

This is the only game in town. It's in a perfect location: 1/4 mile from the Navajo Bridge; adjacent to the town post office; public coin-op showers; a small grocery store; and a gas station. It is less than a mile for Lee's Ferry - the lauching point of just about all the rafting trips down the Grand Canyon.

The staff seemed distant. Not in a bad way. They just knew you weren't going to stick around so why bother drumming up a relationship. You could tell they were very used to the transient nature of people's stay at the lodge. I felt a little melanchony.

My husband and I stayed there for one night before beginning a 6-day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. The room was adequately equipped. You could tell that these rooms weren't meant to be occupied for a very long period of time. They reeked of cigarette smoke. There was a queen-sized bed with clean seats, a shower and a toilet. They were designed for the traveler who about to make their final pit stop with civilization before delving into the canyon for a 6-day unshowered stretch...or for those returning from such an excursion. It had the basics. I'm sure the TV worked but I was more interested in packing all my gear...and that last hot shower before we headed to our j-rig at Lee's Ferry.

At the lodge we'd hear individual staff members speaking in Navajo, and if you're from the East Coast like we are, you'll constantly be doing doubletakes because of sound of the language. It was amazing.

The adjoining restaurant was good. But for the region, you knew they were charging outrageous prices. Breakfast in the middle of nowhere (the next major city Las Vegas, NV - about 280 miles away) should not cost as much as breakfast at diner in Boston or NY!
I highly recommend the Navajo frybread with honey. It's delicious and filling enough for any of the three meals. Its loaded with carbs, fat and sugar but who cares when you're about to expend all those calories (and more) rafting and hiking for the next week!

The adjoining gift shop contains all your last minute Grand Canyon needs such as rain suits, biodegradable soap and the quintessential overpriced t-shirt and guidebook. Who really needs a Grand Canyon shot glass for $8.00? I would suggest purchasing all your hiking/camping needs before you come to the Marblehead Canyon Lodge.

The gift shop also sold local jarred foods, crafts and jewelry from local artisans. It was mostly Navajo jewelry. Next to no Zuni or Hopi jewelry representation. The shop had a good variety of books pertaining to the Grand Canyon ranging from fiction to non-fiction.

• Stayed: January 2005
Courtyard Page at Lake Powell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Days Inn & Suites Page Lake Powell
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell

Been to Marble Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!