“Better Than It Looks - Old building, Dated Inside, but Good Breakfast”
Review of Headquarters Cafe

Headquarters Cafe
Ranked #13 of 64 Restaurants in Maricopa
Cuisines: American
Phoenix, Arizona
“Better Than It Looks - Old building, Dated Inside, but Good Breakfast”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I like this place, but it is not my wife's favorite (but she always enjoys the breakfast). We have only been there in the morning, so I can't attest to the other meals.
The building is old and there is a bar next door (they should expand the restaurant!)- when you walk in, it is dark and the decor is dated. There will be no one to greet you so seat yourself. If no tables are available, a crowd will gather around the door. Those waiting will start watching for diners to be finishing up in order to grab their table- this is the only part I don't like about eating here. It is kind of a honor thing regarding who is next for a table. I haven't seen any fights breaking out, but I'm sure some people have grabbed a table out of order.
I get the pancake & egg breakfast and they are always great. Three BIG pancakes that I usually can't finish. The waitstaff, like other places, get busy and I usually have to get their attention for refills of coffee. I wish they would just swing by their area for a quick check on tables (my constant issue dining out).
I would not say the waitstaff is overly friendly by any means- they always seem to be running around getting food and taking orders. Breakfast for 2 will be about $20 w/ tip.

• Visited February 2013

Salinas, California
“Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Headquarters Restaurant looks to be an eatery from a long past era. It's location in the old downtown (such as it is) of Maricopa is not impressive and would give you no reason to stop... if you did not know that this place serves wonderful breakfasts and comfort food. The locals know.
The place does a big business, especially for breakfast on weekends. I can only speak of breakfast as that is the only meal I've had at Headquarters on my three visits there. Once you get past the "desert bunker" look of the exterior, you enter a bustling, wood (and other) paneled dining room. Looking for a quiet place for good conversation? ah, not here... Breakfasts are highlighted by Mexican tinged delights such as huevos rancheros and Eggs and Machaca. The Western Omlete is filled with ham and all the fixings. Service is efficient even on busy days.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Steve H
Maricopa, Arizona
“Not As Reported Unless You Enjoy Poor Food”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have lived in Maricopa for several years. All we heard from firends was you MUST try Headquarters! But I forgot that some of these friends like subway for dinner--really?

Ok, so my wife and I tried it and found the chips greasy and chewy–not crispy at all. The chips kind of bend over–yuck! The Salsa was ok but on the hot side.

The dinner menu was full of Mexican dishes or Headquarter's version of what isn't Mexican. Just poorly done if you know true Mexican style dishes. I had a burrito that was not good but editable at least. Would we go to Headquarters again–not even if you're buying!

• Visited August 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Cheap and Delicious.”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Great prices and great food. Best deal in town. Service is good. I am not a needy person, so I was pleased with the service.

• Visited July 2012
Maricopa, Arizona
“Humble not Horrible”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I like Headquarters, or HQ as those of us that living in Maricopa call it. The fascade is not upscale and it is not fancy, it is an original building from when it was just a train stop. The food is good and plentiful.

• Visited December 2011