“A Great Time!”
Review of Foothills Ranch

Foothills Ranch
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Mayer
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse back riding in the Bradshaw Mountains. 1 and 2 hour, breakfast, lunch and dinner rides. Facilities available for groups of 10 or more. Lunch, Gunfight and riding.
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I enjoyed an hour trail ride with my daughter, niece and nephew. The guides were fun and informative and mades us all feel very comfortable. I would definitely go again for a little longer!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Went on the 2.5 hour brunch ride with Al and a couple from NY. The weather was gorgeous (4/24/13), and the horses were great. I have very little riding experience. I've done trail rides and that's about it. This is the only time I did **not** feel like I was doing an elaborate form of riding the pony in circles like little kids do at fairs. I really felt like I was riding. My horse, Cash, was a complete sweetheart - gentle and very responsive to my commands. It seemed to me he'd even respond to my verbal commands, but maybe that's just my imagination. :) Al was a fantastic guide, told us a lot about the area, pointed out wildlife, shared some history from gold rush times, and was generally good company. He appears to take very good care of the horses and clearly values the quality of the experience for both himself and his customers. Will definitely go back - planning to take my teenager with me next time for a longer ride.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

When planning our escape from the cold of Canada, I knew I wanted to do some riding while I was in Arizona. I have been riding all my life, but my partner had little or no riding experience. I called Foothills Ranch in advance and Al assured me he could tailor a full day ride that would be fun for both of us, but most importantly safe for an inexperienced rider.

The ranch is easy to find - just 30 minutes from Prescott town center and well marked right off the highway. Our horses were tacked up and waiting for us when we arrived and we were greeted by Al and some very friendly dogs. As promised, we were matched with perfect horses and when we met our wrangler Ward, I knew we were in expert hands. He is a very experienced and accomplished horseman and quite possibly one of the most interesting and fun people I have ever met! His knowledge of the area and the horses was second to none. If we had more time, I would have definitely planned to ride with him again. (next time!)

The horses were safe, responsive and obviously well looked after. They knew their jobs and did them very well. At no time did my riding partner feel unsafe or worried about what his horse may do or was doing. Cash was a perfect gentleman (in fuzzy, wooly mammoth clothes!) and left him wanting to ride more.

We rode for 6 hours and had lunch in the shade of the ponderosa pines sharing stories and laughs. It couldn't have been a more perfect day!

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Took my kids here for a spring break outing because it lists on the website, No nose to tail riding but it is like every other stables we've taken the kids to ride. Slow, single file and hard to keep their heads out of the grass. The sons horse, Vegas should be retired he is so slow and stoved up. When I asked about it the owner told me he had arthritis but I didn't care for the fact that the trails are rocky and he used a crippled horse for my son to ride. Maade went where she wanted without any regard to my steering and the owner commented that she was his best horse but we did all have a good ride in the end. The kids love to ride so at least they got to horseback riding but we are still searching for a stables without that nose in the rump riding.

1  Thank DianaR494
Al B, Owner at Foothills Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

We are sorry you didnt like the ride.People have to realize the ride has to be geared to the least experienced riderThe horse named maude that you could not control has been on the dude string for the last 14 years,she is as broke as they come.We have put 7 year olds on her,and they do just fine.You might want to consider some lessons,and quit blaming the stables,they are just trying to keep you,and your family safe.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

What a fun ride into the foothills and out again, with a yummy lunch besides. Al and Sandy took my husband and I on a lovely Valentine's Day four-hour trail ride. It felt more like going for a trail ride with friends than the sometimes-uncomfortable feeling of just being a means to an end for the stable's bottom line. The horses were healthy and well trained. They actually listened when you asked for something, then (gasp!) really tried to do it for you! Not the usual dead-sided, mentally checked-out horses you get at riding stables. My horse, Cash, had the fuzziest ears (well, it was February!) and I just wanted to hug him, he was so sweet... The scenery was beautiful, and our guide (also the owner) was very knowledgeable about the local area and its prospecting history. We also learned plenty about the local flora and fauna, and got to see things that you normally wouldn't have access to with a larger, more profit-oriented riding stable. This was not a ride where you felt like you were stuck on a boring track...it was engaging both in the breathtaking views, as well as the obvious feelings of stewardship and appreciation for the land surrounding the ranch. We've ridden in lots of different places over the years, and besides home, this was the best trail ride so far for us :)