“What a great value”
Review of Foothills Ranch

Foothills Ranch
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Mayer
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse back riding in the Bradshaw Mountains. 1 and 2 hour, breakfast, lunch and dinner rides. Facilities available for groups of 10 or more. Lunch, Gunfight and riding.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

These guys are genuine cowboys. We are from Texas and we loved this experience. Humble and homey is the way I describe it. Nothing over the top, but lots of fun with experienced folks. My wife and daughter rode while my youngest daughter and I waited back at the ranch. We all had a great time and would recommend this outfit highly.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My fiance and I recently rode with Don (aka Sam) and we had a fantastic experience. It was just the three of us and I couldn't have imagined a more fun or intimate experience. He was a very personable and enjoyable guide and he led us on a wonderful and scenic ride. He pointed out a Great Horned Owl and some other wildlife and was knowledgeable about the area and plant and wildlife. He had decades of experience as a guide and it showed. My fiance and I have some riding experience and he tailored the ride to our comfort with some excitement for our level. I rode Pepper and she rode Maude without issue. I felt they were both well trained and taken care of horses. I would recommend a 1.5-2 hour ride.

To the people complaining about "riding in a line", herd animals follow a leader and trail horses are trained to ride single file to keep from jockeying for the lead to keep them, the guides, and the riders safe. You will never find a stable that does not do rides in this fashion. But the small, personal rides provided through this ranch are the best I have experienced.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had a group of 6 of us and did the 2 hour ride. One of the nicest horseback rides I have ever done. The Trail Boss was very informative. This was a relaxing ride and very enjoyable. We plan on doing the 4 hour next time back.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I enjoyed an hour trail ride with my daughter, niece and nephew. The guides were fun and informative and mades us all feel very comfortable. I would definitely go again for a little longer!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Went on the 2.5 hour brunch ride with Al and a couple from NY. The weather was gorgeous (4/24/13), and the horses were great. I have very little riding experience. I've done trail rides and that's about it. This is the only time I did **not** feel like I was doing an elaborate form of riding the pony in circles like little kids do at fairs. I really felt like I was riding. My horse, Cash, was a complete sweetheart - gentle and very responsive to my commands. It seemed to me he'd even respond to my verbal commands, but maybe that's just my imagination. :) Al was a fantastic guide, told us a lot about the area, pointed out wildlife, shared some history from gold rush times, and was generally good company. He appears to take very good care of the horses and clearly values the quality of the experience for both himself and his customers. Will definitely go back - planning to take my teenager with me next time for a longer ride.