“Great and safe hostel near bus terminal.”

Savigliano International Hostel Mendoza
Ranked #77 of 176 Speciality Lodging in Mendoza
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I wouldn´t normally choose a hostel close to a bus terminal since it is usually a bad and somewhat unsafe zone, but this one is great. 5 minutes walk from Mendoza bus terminal, behind a fence. You can easilly walk to Mendoza main sqaure in 15 minutes. The hostel staff was very friendly and helpfull, there was a nice inside patio (our private four beds room had his own entrance to the patio), the kitchen upstairs has a good terrace. It was peaceful at night and in general we felt good in this place.

The only minuses: The wifi signal did not reach our room, it was mostly only in the reception area. The garden/patio area deserves a little renovation, some of the furniture was really used and old, but nothing major.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 April 2013

The staff is super friendly, motivated and gives helpful advise for trips in Mendoza and also around South America! The rooms are big and clean (!) and the common areas are also big and friendly, small pool. There is a nice terrace on the roof, where sometimes they do BBQ and chill, but it is not a party hostel. I met interesting, really nice travellers there in a relaxed atmosphere. Location is right next to the bus terminal, which was great when I arrived from Chile at 1 am, but it is about 20 minutes from the center - that is why I didnt give 100% rating.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 6-bed mixed dorm, with 1 other guy - great! As the window faced the street it was a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Loved it! Easy to find, friendly neighbourhood, ATM across the street inside the hospital, busstation just across the street through the tunnel, Extremely helpful staff, perfect situated in Mendoza, free internet and WIFI, friendly guests from all over the world in all ages, would totally visit the place again.
Mikkel and Peter

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeterIllum
Reviewed 1 January 2013

So having stayed at an amazing hostel in Salta (Hostel La Posta), I was really disappointed with this place. Let's start however with the positives. The location was excellent - literally a 5 mins walk from the bus station which was excellent after a long overnight bus if you are arriving from Salta. The room was basic and the bed was soft as it was made of sponge as opposed to a proper matress. I managed ok given it was only for 2 nights. The bathroom was ok and clean enough but the shower was powerful and TOO hot - so hot that you could easily burn yourself. Breakfast was not even worthy of calling breakfast with a stodgy croissant, tea/coffee was from a machine and orange squash from a jug that was called "juice". Wifi connection was ok but I dont believe it is ok in all rooms so do check when you arrive and enter your room. I think the room had aircon but I believe there is an extra charge to use this and for that reason they did not provide a remote control for it.

However worst of all was the rude service of the staff and manager. A smile and politeness costs nothing - I speak spanish too so there is no language barrier. They did not provide soap or a towell. When I asked nicely for this I was told the prices are based on no soap, no hostels provide this, if you would like one there is a charge for this. They did however give me a towel although I found out from other guests that they were all charged different prices for this ranging from 5 - 15 pesos. Many other guests were also complaining about the price discrepency between the room price by booking directly vs the price with hostelworld which was in fact cheaper. The hostel didnt really seem to care at all about this.

Then there was the issue of storing my luggage for the day as I had an overnight bus to Cordoba which was leaving in the evening. They refused to store this for me as I had bought my ticket direct from the Andesmar counter at the bus station - that way I was guaranteed my seat. They were only willing to store luggage for people that had purchased their bus ticket from there. As a result they wanted to charge me 20 pesos - luckily Andesmar were happy to keep my luggage which I had locked for the day. Out of principle given their poor service I was not willing to pay this.

It is the first time I stayed in a hostel that did not even provide basics such as a towel or soap to simply wash your hands. The manager, Rodrigo was in fact even less polite than his staff. I would not stay here unless you are absolutely desperate for a place to stay.

The other places I stayed at in my trip however I would recommend without any hesitation are those that I have awarded 5 stars so do check them out. If someone had recommended these places to me I would have saved a lot of time researching so I'd be more than happy to help future travellers. I had a great trip to South America and these places were the best I stayed. If you would like any info or have any questions, please let me know.

Room Tip: Check the shower temperature, the bed and wifi before you select a room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ninsc
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Based on recommendations we were expecting this well-priced hostel to be adequate, and it was. The staff were friendly enough but a little disinterested at times. The room decent and cleaned every day. A rare complaint - the shower was FAR too hot and the cold tap too weak to bring the temperature down. This actually made showering a little tricky. The self-serve breakfast was poor. The pool pictured is little more than an oversized bath, don't choose this hostel on the basis of the pool! I can't imagine using the kitchen for preparing your own meals. The location is a little far from the centre but this isn't a problem as long as you are expecting this. It is a quiet hostel, far preferable to the many party hostels elsewhere in town if you are looking for a decent night sleep. The wifi was exceptionally fast, very very good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I met a really nice man in the bus station of Mendoza who told me about this hostel. He accompanied me along the three minute walk to the hostel. It's a great place. I loved speaking Italian with the boy working there, there rates are very low, and I met a lot of kind international travellers there. It's super close to the bus station and within walking distance of all the principal attractions in Mendoza. I can't wait to visit that beautiful city again, and i'll probably stay at Savigliano again too :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I liked that this hostel was right across the street from the bus station, but it was a little far from Plaza Independencia-- a little less than a mile walk. I like walking and wasn't in any rush so it was fine for me. The hostel is really well run-- they clean the bathrooms and rooms daily. I was able to book a bus ticket to Santiago and book tours from the hostel. There are also a lot of low cost food options right next to the hostel

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo