“Good Hotel With Great Location, Awful Club Lounge”

Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Mendoza
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Guido, who works at the front desk, is our go-to person at this hotel. He is extremely helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and is happy to answer any questions that we had. The other men at the front desk were nice as well, but Guido was the standout. Unfortunately, we can tell that the rest of the staff do not seem as happy and friendly as the guys at the front desk, especially those working in the club lounge.

The club lounge was a huge disappointment. As there was no attendant around during the evening service, there were dirty plates and glasses on the tables, the food and beverages were not being replenished and you can tell that the sandwiches had been sitting for hours. I heard someone through the lounge’s service door, so I knocked and an employee came out. I asked if there was going to be more food brought out and he said that he would get someone to help us. My husband and I and a handful of unsatisfied guests had waited for more than 20 minutes to get some appetizers. After coming back from dinner, we asked to speak with a general manager, but they had all gone home. We however expressed our discontent with Guido, who must have shared this with his manager, as the following night, there was still no attendant at the club lounge, but there was more food.

Our room was excellent! My only complaint is the shower – it didn’t look like it had been scrubbed in a long time. The shower smelled like sulpher and there was mold throughout. The water pressure was fairly low and the water did not get very hot. Otherwise, our jr suite was spacious and the bed was very comfortable.

We would stay here again.

1  Thank Valertin
PatricioCarvallo, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear Valertin,

Greetings from Sheraton Mendoza Hotel!

In the name of our entire team, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in our city and for taking your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for your disappointments. Regarding your comments about the Club Lounge, allow me to inform you that we have associates specifically assigned to attend the Club Lounge to ensure excellent service is provided, and I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations this time. Please know that all your comments have been documented and forwarded to the Food and Beverage Manager and I assure you immediate action has been taken.

Your opinion is extremely important to us and we thank you for sharing it with us, this allow us to identify the areas that need improvement and our immediate attention.

I am glad to inform you that Guido was very happy to hear that you were pleased with the service that he provided.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Adriana Forlizzi
Guest Relations Manager
Sheraton Mendoza Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

It's great that Mendoza has another 5 star hotel with very convenient location, very nice rooms, with a superb, professional, friendly and very helpful staff. I make yearly visits to Mendoza bringing wine groups from USA and this hotel never fails to please. Incredibly better attitude and professional service than the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed: April 2013
PatricioCarvallo, General Manager at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Chris M

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. It's always great to hear our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Patricio Carvallo

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed here for four nights. We had a very welcoming check-in and they gave us some wine while we waited. As gold SPG members, we were upgraded to a suite with a nice view. The dining room service and food was excellent. The club floor breakfast had a great view with a limited selection of good quality food. The staff were friendly and helpful and we would recommend this hotel. However, if you do stay here, avoid the concierge. It is run by a third party and they are not interested in helping you plan enjoyable activities. Instead, they try to get as much money as they can from you. For example, we selected a wine tour with the option of choosing three wineries to visit from a set list of Uco Valley vineyards for $250/each. After we made our selections, they tried to increase the price to $280/each because one of the vineyards was the furthest south, despite it being on the original list. After much arguing we were able to get this tour for the advertised price but they then tried to get us to pay by cash by charging a 5% fee for using a credit card and a 7% fee if we paid through the hotel. Only when we tried to cancel our tour due to these extra fees did they agree to letting us pay by credit card for the advertised price. It was clear that the women working at the concierge desk were not concerned with providing service and were instead only interested in getting as much money as possible from us.
We have stayed at Sheratons in Buenos Aires and in Santiago. and we also used the concierge services at these hotels. There, while it was not cheap, they provided high quality service which I expect from Sheraton facilities. We are going to Mendoza again next year and we will stay here because the staff and amenities were so excellent. But we will definitely be avoiding the concierge desk next time!

2  Thank Kona_HawaiiSonnyN
PatricioCarvallo, Gerente at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Kona_HawaiiSonnyN,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton in Mendoza.

Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and will be taken into account to improve the quality of our services.

Looking forward to having you staying with us in the near future.

Yours sincerelly,

Reviewed 5 April 2013

OK ... so here's the thing ... the Sheraton in Mendoza has a few 'issues' ... the hotel is getting a tad tired and needs a bit of TLC .. however ... they know it and they are doing everything in their power to fix it. I initially was only going to stay for 1 night in Mendoza ... chose the Sheraton because of the location ... easy access to walk everywhere in Mendoza ... ended up booking for two nights though because of travel plans. Had a few issues on the first day/night and decided ... rather than moan about them AFTER I left .. I would send of a quick email to the manager on duty then and there. Let me tell you .. my email was acknowledged within 30 minutes and within an hour I was sitting with the duty manager Jorge (who was wonderful) going through all I felt was right and wrong (and there is a lot right I have to say) with this hotel.
Bottom line ... it ain't a 5Star as we know it .. but they are getting there .. love love love the art work in the hotel, the staff are friendly and helpful and almost all of them speak English ... of varying degrees ... AND they patiently put up with my terrible terrible Spanglish.
I'm giving A for Effort, B- for quality and Standard and a C for food!
Hope this helps.

PS Ended up staying 3 nights ... and even in that time I saw an improvement in the areas that I had discussed with Jorge ... left the hotel .. early in the morn to catch a bus over the Andes with a BIG smile on my face ... overall an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Don't bother with a Club Room ..... not up to International Club room standards.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have been at Sheraton Mendoza and having read the reviews of many travelers, after booking there I was afraid. Being a Starwood Member I was given a room at the Club floors. The sunrise and the sunset were breathtaking.
Hotels in Argentine are pricey and at Mendoza more. It shouldn¨t be like that but it is like that. You have to pay a lot and obtain not a very good service. I would say is the Argentinian way.And Mendoza is very expensive city.It is true that hotels there are very expensive for the service they offer. Said that I can assert that the service at the Sheraton Mendoza is great.
Welcoming cup of wine when arriving at the place, late in the evening.
Breakfast place at the 17th is wonderfull: views of the mountains when having the morning meal. It is true it is not quite varied but it is OK.
Pool place and the Gym are beautiful, quite clean and the only critic I could do is the operating time. Having been at Sheraton out of Argentina, I know that the Fitness center is expected to be open all day. Personally, I love to make gym before having breakfast and opening at 8 or 7 forbides this. It would be an improvement to fix operating times.
I disagree with the opinion of other travelers about the Club Lounge. Coffee and tea free, sandwiches, little cups of desserts is more than I have found in many other Club Lounges where I have been. If people go there to have dinner is another question. It is just a free refreshment in a very nice place, with comfortable sofas and a big TV screen.
The room was spacious, with light from outside and many lamps and lights inside. Bed lights are great for reading.
Bathroom is nice though the shower needs something to put Shampoo and conditioner.It has many drawers to tide your things. Many other have told about the bathroom smell. It has some kind of smell but it is not as much as it is said. Frosted glass I loved it because in this way the bathroom has natural light during day but it is true I was alone at the room.
Hosekeeping is done early during morning. It is true that they do not include everything. Amenities vary in the three days and I think supervision there is due. The same about towells and bath carpet. I have one only the first day.
Anyway and in spite of this flaws everybody at the hotel was kind and receptive.
People at the Lobby's restaurant was very kind. Food and wiine , wonderfull but rather expensive. A cup of wine (it was really a big cup) was at $60( 10 dollars? You never know with Argentinian change). Too expensive in the wine province, isn´t it? But it was a very good taste wine!!
Briefly: a very good place to stay in Mendoza. Only needs some little adjustments.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the upper floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This is a nice hotel. Having stayed in a number of (non US) Sheratons recently I found this property to be pretty much in line. Very comfortable bed, nice sized room, overall a clean and well environment. Small things keep this from receinving a higher rating from me.....
Service was lacking at times, slow or non existant and slightly rude---but not the front desk staff, they were very nice. The bathroom could have been cleaner, I dont like seeing mold in the shower area and the BR ammenities were skimpy and inconsistant....Wouldnt mind just one more English speaking TV channel piped in.... there was just one? Thats just me..... Great location, nice pool, nice gym......overall very comfortable as expected....

Room Tip: request a room facing the mountains, very nice color filled sunsets
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sharem57
PatricioCarvallo, Gerente at Sheraton Mendoza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear Mr/Mrs,

Thank you for staying with us. We work hardly to improve our service quality and guest service. Your opinion and suggestions help us in this mision.

Looking foward to have you with us again.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for Vendemia - the annual wine harvest festival. Getting information about Vendemia events from Sheraton staff in advance of our trip was nigh unto impossible. The on-site travel service they referred us to was very expensive for the tickets. Once we got to the hotel we found the front staff to be very helpful (unlike other reviews posted). The room was spacious, modern, and in very good condition - laid out similar to other Sheratons - quite comfortable. One disconcerting thing (as mentioned in other reviews) was the frosted glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. This was OK until one of us got up in the night to use the bathroom - then the whole room was bathed in light interrupting the sleeping party. (Our solution was to use our travel flashlight for nighttime toilet visits.) The breakfast buffet wes quite nice - many choices (hot and cold), all high quality. The hotel is conveniently located for downtown activities - the main plaza is within wasy walking distance. However, be careful, another guest staying there had their camera snatched at one of the plazas in broad daylight.
Working with housekeeping was an adventure - every day something was not included with the maid's visit - either washcloths, tissues, lotion, etc. had to be requested. A discussion with the housekeeping supervisor along with a tip seemed to help.
For those of you who have access to the Club Lounge - the Lounge is not attended during the day and only for deliveries in the evening. This meant that dirty dishes were left on tables and refreshments and dishes were not replenished. A modest amount of food was provided at evening hors d'oeuvres and was quickly consumed. Calls downstairs sometimes resulted in more. All of the guests using the Lounge were complaining regularly - to each other and to staff. Based on other reviews this is an ongoing problem unheeded by the management. One of the guests complained about the service and was told wine would be provided. The staff person delivering the wine broke the cork and couldn't remove it - no further wine was offered. At another time, guests were told that wine was not available in the Lounge.

Room Tip: Try to get a mountain view room