“Dirtiest hostel we've stayed in in South America”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Estacion Mendoza
Ranked #26 of 166 Speciality Lodging in Mendoza
London
“Dirtiest hostel we've stayed in in South America”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed here when the Chilean ash cloud struck and unfortunately our previous excellent accommodation Hostel Lao was fully booked.

The hostel was just like a student house - dirty, no work done on it for years with random posters on the wall and old battered furniture. In the kitchen, the drawers and cupboards don't really shut properly anymore, the first 5 'clean' plates I picked up were grimey and whilst reasonably tidy, nothing felt clean.

Around the stairwells, dust balls and muck gathered where a mop can't have been for a long time, a similar story in any nook or cranny around our room. The bathroom had a sign with a translation into English of 'please keep the bathroom clean after yourself' which pretty much summed up the cleanliness for me. Of course once in this situation, your mind can start playing tricks, but we're pretty sure we were also bitten in the night by something in the bed - we were itchy the next day. To be fair, we didn't mention any of this to the staff on our night there, but we felt asking them to clean the entire house from top to bottom was a bit of a big request for a night's stay.

I'm sure when it was first set up it was a really great place with a good vibe, but it literally felt like it had been left to rot for about the last 18 months. Good points - location good, sturdy beds, security fine, staff friendly (although one of them was a bit odd) and atmosphere fine, although we didn't dare try the breakfast with the apparent lack of hygiene.

It was cheap (40% less than an equivalent room in our previous hostel) but I imagine most of that saving has come from cleaners. Fine if you want cheap, but the dirtiest hostel we've stayed in in South America.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olideacon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

After booking a private room, I was given a dorm room to myself right next to the kitchen which meant the room was extremely noisy 24/7. The bathroom was not cleaned before my arrival or during my stay (and same hair and soap wrappers remained) and the shower head was held together with masking tape. I was given sheets and had to make my own bed and on the first night was bitten by fleas. I was not given any information regarding tours / excursions etc. If I hadn't paid for my room on the first day, I would not have continued to stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank monkeyskool
Santa Marta, Colombia
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I came planning for a few days and stayed for 10, and then I returned for 2 more. This is a very clean, well located hostel at an excellent price with a decent breakfast. The internet is fast and the people who stay here are varied and interesting. The staff was helpful. The reason I didn't rate service 100% was because it was rather hard to understand the receptionist if Spanish isn't your first language. If she would just slow down a bit, that would help. Everything else was muy bueno!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I stayed at the hostel for one month. I highly recommend this hostel, the location is perfect and the rooms are quiet clean, spacious, and quiet. The double rooms come with cable TV, air conditioning and heater, and on-suite bathroom, the double room upstairs is particularly very good and has to be the best value for money in Mendoza. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hostel has a family, social atmosphere with a shared dining and lounge and an outdoor patio with a swimming pool. The staff make you feel welcome and organise various events to bring everyone together, the hostel BBQ is awesome. The hostel had a good mix of people, young and old, families and backpackers, it suits most everyone. I highly recommend the hostel, I was made to feel like a VIP, and had a fantastic time there. thanks Estacion Mendoza!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We arrived early off the bus, about a 10min walk from the bus station which was good. We had previously put a deposit down on 2 dorm beds. We couldnt check in until 12 which was fine so we put our bags somewhere safe. We then sat in the living area, which was fine, the hostel seemed to be from what we saw (cant comment on rooms or bathrooms) to be nice, well kept and clean. About an hour later she came and told us we could not stay there and had to go somewhere else. She showed us somewhere else on a map that was far out of town. This was literally all she said. She did not apologise once, and didn't seem to care much about the situation she had put us in. We explained we did not want to stay in that location. She then brought us another place closer to town which we accepted reluctantly as there was nowhere online we could see with availability for the current day, it being a weekend. We then got our bags, and I asked for our deposit back which she silently and reluctantly gave us. If we had not asked for it, we would not have got it.

From the moment we walked in everyone was very cold and unfriendly which is a huge shame as the place looked fine and I'm sure you could stay there and it'd be fine but we were hugely disappointed with their treatment and lack of care to their guests. Hope you have a better experience than us if you stay here!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank thousandsofmilesaway
Porlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2009

A beautiful little old estancia in a beautiful village. Good value and an interesting breakfast.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple