“Clean, but smelly”
Review of Raices Aconcagua

Raices Aconcagua
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Mendoza
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The room was clean and looked like the pictures, however I passed many rooms while being cleaned that had not yet been updated. Additionally, there were many rattlesnakes that were missing for me. There was no trash can in the room only a tiny on in the bathroom. Where do I put my old papers, banana peels etc? Also there were only two outlets accessible and both were in the bathroom, one in the middle of the wall near nothing. Where do I set my device that is plugged in? Most bothersome was that the room had a strange sulfur/natural gas smell that would wafer in the room via vents - as well other parts of the hotel.

The staff spoke fantastic English and were super nice and helpful, hence the 3 stars.

The breakfast was pretty average to terrible in my opinion. All bread essentially, sliced, croissants, cakes- there was horribly sour fruit and a plate of processed meats and cheeses, that was very mediocre. I asked if there was something else, and nada, but then I saw others eating wet runny scrambled eggs that I could have ordered apparently.

The gym was also very disappointing. I am 30 and these machines were older than me. No place for water or music, no settings for time, distance, intensity etc. No yoga mats or free weights. The room must not have been sealed because cigarette smoke would leak in from those outside. Last and most importantly - no water or towels in a gym?!?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nicole O

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Nice hotel with good city location. Rooms are nice in good condition and clean. Room WiFi connection is pretty slow and it is better to use business center on second floor. Breakfast was quite simple (mostly croisants and some sweets) but okay to start the day. Swimming pool was good for the refreshment after long walking every day.
I really appreciate job of bellboy Miguel who helped us organize nice winery tour in nearby Bodegas. Miguel, thank you for all your help during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Having spent four nights in a fantastic place, we decided to book somewhere fairly smart before getting on a plane back to Buenos Aires and then home, so chose this hotel, as it had four stars and looked smart from the outside. Bad decision.
The contrast between the friendly people at our previous place and here was immediate and striking - an unsmiling receptionist checked us in, and demanded a credit card to swipe, in case we used the mini-bar, which just made us feel untrusted from the off. She and her colleagues then watched as we carried our cases across the lobby, without anyone trying to help.
We had a room on the seventh floor, with a view onto a rundown block of flats and a wasteland, but we were more concerned with the strong smell of sewage.
After trying to ignore it, I went back to the reception and told them - they told me to go back to the room and wait. We waited for twenty minutes, before I rang reception and told them I was unhappy just sitting there.
About ten minutes later I rang again and they said someone was coming. Finally there was a knock on the door and it was a smiling elderly janitor carrying a large bottle of detergent. I then rang reception and complained, telling them it wasn't a problem with the toilet. The janitor was pointing at the air conditioning unit in agreement.
At this point a young member of staff came up, moved us to a room that didn't smell and was much nicer - and he was really helpful.
Unfortunately the air conditioning was stuck on one temperature all night, and in the morning we endured breakfast over loud, piped dance music. When we checked out, no one even said good morning, but immediately started ringing room service to get them to check if we'd had something from our mini-bar. The first thing they said to me was how much I owed them for two bottles of water. I can only assume they have a lot of problems with thefts in that place!
I've no idea how this place has four stars - corporate, ugly and unfriendly. Give it a miss!

Room Tip: Choose one without Eau de Sewage
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I spent 11 nights at this conveniently located hotel and found the room rate quite reasonable at an average of around $85 per night, I had booked it through hotels.com and prepaid it in dollars. The room was a bit on the small size and with not much of a storage space, but the bed was big and comfortable, the bathroom adequate, and the view of the mountains appealing. It has air conditioning and the windows do open easily in case you want fresh air. It is rather noisy, specially on a weekend night and the walls seem to be rather thin but eventually I got used to it and slept.
The staff kept it very clean and the front desk personnel were friendly.
The nicest feature of this hotel is the downstairs breakfast room with and adjacent patio. The buffet breakfast , served until 10 AM every morning is good, with an assortment of fruits and argentinian pastries. Not spectacular but certainly OK. The continental breakfast is rather meager, the coffee was cold, try to wake up before 10AM, because at exactly that time the buffet closes.
I would not recommend having lunch or dinner at their restaurant, the service was slow and the choices limited. Pretty Plaza Italia is half a block from the hotel, and el centro or downtown, at walking distance. The area is safe.

Room Tip: Choose a room at an upper floor with a mountain view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

This is a rather corporate international hotel with little to distinguish it from thousands of others around the world.

This is a good hotel with helpful staff and is conveniently located for the centre of Mendoza. However, the one thing to be aware of is the early check-out time. At 10:30, it's the earliest I've ever encountered anywhere. It just lacks a certain generosity in my opinion.

In contrast, the breakfast is both generous and plentiful. The rooms are comfortable and well-appointed but could do with more effective sound-proofing.

Overall, I'd rate this hotel as good and would have scored it as excellent had the check-out time not been so ridiculously early.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed at Hotel Aconcagua a week and a half ago and found it to be a nice hotel. The rooms had recently been renovated (the bedroom part of the rooms), the bathrooms were quite old-looking but everything was clean, which is what always matters most to me. It is VERY conveniently located, the breakfast was great, the staff were friendly, and the only reason I didn't give it a 5 was because I felt like it could've been a better value with the bathrooms being older and a bit ugly.

We had the choice to pay in USD or Argentine Pesos, and paying in pesos SIGNIFICANTLY brought the price down (make sure you always take USD to Argentina and change the money in a restauarant for a great exchange rate).

One day it rained quite heavily and since it almost never rains in Mendoza it appeared that one of the entrance doors wasn't well sealed and some water leaked in. This didn't affect any of the guests in any way whatsoever! The staff were very quick to clean it up and make sure that no one slipped, etc., but there were other tourists there making nasty comments about "how South America is" and taking pictures, which I found very rude since it didn't affect or harm the guests in any way at all, and at most was just a nuisance for the staff.

Otherwise there were no problems. It was very hot in Mendoza but the air conditioner in our room worked great, the WIFI connection was strong, the view was delightful, and our Superior Suite bed was GIGANTIC and very comfy. All in all it was a lovely stay and I would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've stayed in this hotel on and off for the past few years under different owners and wrote a very critical review of it in March, 2013. Since last year, it's gotten a bit better but they need to try harder.

First, the positives. I arrived early in the morning and check-in is probably around 2 PM, however, they had availability so they were able to check me in at 9 AM, which was nice. The bell staff are great (not so much the front desk staff). They were always friendly, willing to help with directions and advice, etc. The pool is very large and well-maintained.

The negatives. It seems like you have to fight to get something - big or small. For example, the breakfast buffet used to have eggs, bacon, sausage (back in 2010 at least). Now they have a traditional Argentine breakfast of croissants, ham, cheese, coffee and juice. If you want eggs, you have to ask; but sometimes they never come and I had to ask 3 different waiters over the course of 20 minutes for eggs before they finally came. The same thing happened when I asked for a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine I bought outside the hotel. Even though they have a full-service restaurant (with corkscrews), they told me they didn't until I continued to ask and after the 3rd person, they miraculously found one for me.

The worst part was the checkout. I called the front desk at 10 am and asked for a 2 PM late checkout since I knew the hotel was not full that day. They told me they would be more than happy to extend it to 2 PM if I paid 400 pesos, even though every year prior they always gave me the extension without a problem.

Finally, don't expect to get any use out of the "free Wi-Fi". The signal is horrible throughout the hotel regardless of where in the building you are. The routers they have look like they are from the year 2000 and even though there was a router right outside of my room, I still couldn't connect to Yahoo mail or Facebook, let alone Skype.

The hotel itself is a decent place. It's well kept. The rooms are clean (although air conditioning still needs to be improved). The housekeepers and bell staff have pride in what they do and I appreciated that. I just again encourage senior management to better train front desk staff and restaurant staff. A little bit more hospitality goes a long way!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo